News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

No doubt we have numerous obstructions creating 'turbulence'. Then the variables like the wayward tourist or those with mobility issues. Some of this is "bad station design", or perhaps stations that are inherently too small and were never designed for such loads as we're seeing today. With Union though I like how they have an open gate. It's oftentimes an honour system, seeing that many can walk through without any fare (I've walked past four transit officers and a fare collector without even attempting to pay). I have zero qualms with removing turnstyles. However I do wonder if the fare gate takes 0.25-0.5 sec longer to accept/compute/open, could that cause unnecessary bottlenecks? And/or can the machines be accelerated or be designed to stay open during peak periods?

Sure they should have a decently fast fare gate system (the ones I have experienced so far are certainly superior to turnstyle, so no reason why the TTC ones can't match that experience), but I don't think they are the problem relative to the other listed issues - nor are open gates the solution (esp. considering the issue of fare evasion) - in the case of Union, the existing turnstyles don't even reach 50% utilization at rush - people are using the open gate just because it is there, and I don't think that's a practice that should be encouraged.

AoD

Would these faregates fall under the presto umbrella, or are they a TTC endeavour?

The fare gates are wholly TTC. The gate project is independent of the device affixed which instructs it to open.

Well, to a point. Presto required power/network to be made available in places it was not available previously. Ripping up old gates, rewiring underneath, then installing old gates seemed silly given the old gates are also rapidly approaching EOL.

No doubt we have numerous obstructions creating 'turbulence'. Then the variables like the wayward tourist or those with mobility issues. Some of this is "bad station design", or perhaps stations that are inherently too small and were never designed for such loads as we're seeing today. With Union though I like how they have an open gate. It's oftentimes an honour system, seeing that many can walk through without any fare (I've walked past four transit officers and a fare collector without even attempting to pay). I have zero qualms with removing turnstyles. However I do wonder if the fare gate takes 0.25-0.5 sec longer to accept/compute/open, could that cause unnecessary bottlenecks? And/or can the machines be accelerated or be designed to stay open during peak periods? IIRC the AG noted that much of the presto system/infrastructure is proprietary, and although it's one of the most expensive systems in the world, the contractor hasn't met some of the guidelines agreed to before rollout. Would these faregates fall under the presto umbrella, or are they a TTC endeavour?

The fare gates are a uniquely TTC project.

It also looks like they may be getting ready to start prep work at Victoria Parka as they have a bunch of equipment behind some fences by the elevator to the eastbound platform.

Dupont has half its gates installed, functional but blocked off. I guess those will launch any day.

I think the new fare gates could end up being faster if only because there are more of them. If metro pass makes up half of ridership, it's always been unfortunate that there have been so few metro pass gates - there are still more token gates than metro pass gates.

Dufferin station has now installed the new presto fare gates

Still not functional, though. :/

I was wondering what they'd do about the gap between the gates and the wall; it's large enough for a person to walk through. I noticed today going through Bay that they've blocked off those gaps with caution tape and a chair. Problem solved, I guess.

I was wondering what they'd do about the gap between the gates and the wall; it's large enough for a person to walk through. I noticed today going through Bay that they've blocked off those gaps with caution tape and a chair. Problem solved, I guess.

there's a gap at main street too they sometimes have an extra collector there to fill in I wonder if they will put in a wall or a railing at some point to cover the gaps in them.

what is the delay about, usually when someone installs something they turn it on

Getting close at Old Mill:

DSC06061.jpg
DSC06063.jpg
DSC06064.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06061.jpg
    DSC06061.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,246
  • DSC06063.jpg
    DSC06063.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • DSC06064.jpg