News   Apr 26, 2024
 687     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 720     0 

TTC: McNicoll Bus Garage (Approved)

The Leslie Street carbarns is scheduled to open by summer of this year, 2015 (allegedly). Currently, the CNE loop siding was or is being used to store CLRV’S until the Leslie Street carbarns come available. At 30 m in length for a new streetcar, a regular length bus is about 12 m in length, while an articulated bus is about 18 m.

The Leslie barns will have a capacity of 100 new streetcars. By September, 2015, I can bet we will not have 100 new streetcars on the streets of Toronto. So, in the meantime, there would be room available to house 200 (?) conventional buses at the Leslie carbarns, until a new bus garage is built or the remaining new streetcars arrive and displace the buses (whichever comes first). The target for all 204 new streetcars to arrive was 2019.

Just in case, the CNE loop siding could also be used to store buses.

The Leslie barns will have a capacity of 100 new streetcars. By September, 2015, I can bet we will not have 100 new streetcars on the streets of Toronto. So, in the meantime, there would be room available to house 200 (?) conventional buses at the Leslie carbarns, until a new bus garage is built or the remaining new streetcars arrive and displace the buses (whichever comes first). The target for all 204 new streetcars to arrive was 2019.

Just in case, the CNE loop siding could also be used to store buses.
There's no shortage of large empty parking lots in the Portlands, or in the abandoned industrial areas of outer 416.

Couldn't Coxwell garage be temporarily put back into use?

EDIT: And/or Old Eglinton garage?

(Paging smallspy...)

Last edited:
Couldn't Coxwell garage be temporarily put back into use?

EDIT: And/or Old Eglinton garage?

(Paging smallspy...)

Coxwell: For the storage of 50 buses or so? I don't think that it should be too much of a problem, as only the bays are being leased out right now.

Eglinton: The bus loop now goes through the former storage areas, so not there. And the roof of the old maintenance building is currently collapsing, so that's a non-starter too.

I have heard rumours that they are looking at a location further north, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Coxwell: For the storage of 50 buses or so? I don't think that it should be too much of a problem, as only the bays are being leased out right now.

Eglinton: The bus loop now goes through the former storage areas, so not there. And the roof of the old maintenance building is currently collapsing, so that's a non-starter too.

I have heard rumours that they are looking at a location further north, however.

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what site they end up using.

If they put buses at Coxwell, where will all the parked cars I see there (subway crews?) go? That yard gets my goat because they don't shovel the adjoining sidewalk and it's bloody hard to push a stroller through it at times when nearer Coxwel-Danforth the property owners have shovelled and salted.

WK Lis mentioned Leslie - apparently Russell Division will be crashing there for a while during Eastern Avenue works according to Steve Munro. Even with temporary sites not intended or formerly used for bus storage there could be issues about bus fluid runoff and later cleanup.

Last edited:
If they put buses at Coxwell, where will all the parked cars I see there (subway crews?) go?
There's a Green P across the street. And great transit service!

That yard gets my goat because they don't shovel the adjoining sidewalk and it's bloody hard to push a stroller through it at times when nearer Coxwell the property owners have shovelled and salted.
File complaints with by-law enforcement and with TTC. I'd think if you phoned TTC Customer Service about them not clearing their sidewalks, action would happen.

There's a Green P across the street.

File complaints with by-law enforcement and with TTC. I'd think if you phoned TTC Customer Service about them not clearing their sidewalks, action would happen.[/QUOTE]green p won't let you park for a shift length. I have made complaints to TTC and 311 and will do so in future if things backslide.

green p won't let you park for a shift length.
You sure? There's no problems downtown at Green P lots paying for the day, and into the evening.

If you plug $9 in there, it should give you 24 hours ... - http://parking.greenp.com/parking-info/carpark-info/110_1612-danforth-avenue.html - though I've only used meters on the street up there - but those are limited to 3 hours.

The FAQ says:
How long can I park in a Green P Lot?

As a customer, you can park and pay for as many days as you like. It should be noted, though that there are no in-and-out privileges, but you can purchase the time you require on your credit card up to $99 and display the receipt on your dash.​

The old Lansdowne garage (former carbarn) was abandoned in 1996. Has it been redeveloped yet?

The Lansdowne site is just a vacant lot. At Danforth if the bays are not currently being leased out some storage could be done inside, but servicing would have to be done at Birchmount or Eglinton and then the buses would have to be driven there or they'd have to use a mobile fueling truck to fuel them on site.

A bit of old news:
The purpose of this report is to obtain authorization for the award of Contract MN1-1 McNicoll Bus Garage Design-Build to Buttcon-Eastern Joint Venture (BEJV) in the amount of $141,589,000.00, inclusive of all taxes, on the basis of submitting the lowest priced qualified proposal.

The procurement process consisted of a Request for Pre-Qualifications (RFPQ) followed by the issuance of a Request for Proposals (RFP); both processes were overseen by a Fairness Monitor. Through competitive procurement processes, TTC retained Stantec Consulting Ltd. to provide engineering design support, DLA Piper Canada as outside legal counsel, and J.D. Campbell and Associates as Fairness Monitor for the project. Each of these organizations has demonstrated experience in design-build project delivery.

The work for McNicoll Bus Garage Design-Build includes the supply of all labour, equipment and materials necessary to design and build a new bus garage facility to maintain and operate 250 forty-foot-buses, which is scheduled to achieve functional readiness by the second quarter of 2020.

Award of this contract will allow TTC to obtain the bus storage and maintenance space it requires to partially alleviate over-capacity issues at its existing bus garages to support current and future levels of bus service

Renderings from the Dev App site:
upload_2017-5-1_22-36-52.png

upload_2017-5-1_22-37-13.png

upload_2017-5-1_22-37-34.png

upload_2017-5-1_22-37-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-1_22-36-52.png
    upload_2017-5-1_22-36-52.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 875
  • upload_2017-5-1_22-37-13.png
    upload_2017-5-1_22-37-13.png
    737.2 KB · Views: 819