News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 572     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: McNicoll Bus Garage (Approved)

Mind you, I thought Maria Augimeri was coming on strong yesterday when she said the residents there should have known they lived near industrial land. I doubt she had anything of that line when visiting her residents living closest to Sunrise Propane.
That might be a valid comment if bus depots had a history of blowing up.

I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing though. The land is zoned heavy-industrial. It's hard to imagine a more benign usage of heavy-industrial. Would they prefer a waste-transfer station? Or some industry with a stack?

Augimeri is right to call out Nimbyism.

That might be a valid comment if bus depots had a history of blowing up.

The TTC has an excellent safety record. Also, how many parking lots and gas stations explode?

If the TTC was getting its employees to do anything as unsafe as Sunrise was doing, Kinnear would call a wildcat strike faster than it takes Maria Augimeri to yell "shut up."

The TTC has an excellent safety record. Also, how many parking lots and gas stations explode?

If the TTC was getting its employees to do anything as unsafe as Sunrise was doing, Kinnear would call a wildcat strike faster than it takes Maria Augimeri to yell "shut up."
Exactly. If the land near your house was zoned heavy industrial ... I can't imagine having a better neighbour.

And with real, good jobs too. Those complaining should be IMBYs ...

It wasn't the sentiment I had an issue with, just the tone. It's not going to help damp down the resistance to it to rub it in their faces - at least on the part of elected councillors.

Any leased space would have to be capable of being secured. There would also be a question over the ability to heat buses in winter and whether operators would report to a division and be shuttled or report directly to the leased space.

here's a thought... Build Finch and Sheppard LRT MSFs now - in both cases the land is available, right? - and park buses there until the lines are ready to go...

Could we expand an existing bus facility?

Looking at Comstock on Google Maps, if they could acquire some land to move the employee parking across the street they could expand the bus parking south. Wilson has some green space out front.

Could we expand an existing bus facility?

Looking at Comstock on Google Maps, if they could acquire some land to move the employee parking across the street they could expand the bus parking south. Wilson has some green space out front.

You can expand them for storage, but what do you do about maintenance? The garages are only designed to maintain 275 buses, and most of them are currently storing almost or over 300.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You can expand them for storage, but what do you do about maintenance? The garages are only designed to maintain 275 buses, and most of them are currently storing almost or over 300.

Good to know. Ignoring space constraints for a moment, could the TTC potentially expand maintenance facilities at existing garages as well, or is 275 buses per garage a practical limit (or an operational efficiency "sweet spot")?

Good to know. Ignoring space constraints for a moment, could the TTC potentially expand maintenance facilities at existing garages as well, or is 275 buses per garage a practical limit (or an operational efficiency "sweet spot")?

They seem to deem it a practical limit, although some properties like to operate larger garages (Vancouver and Calgary are two that I can think of off the top of my head). The one thing that I do recall standing out was that there was a basic cost of $3mil (in 2001 dollars) to operate a garage, regardless of its size.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back