News   Apr 26, 2024
 139     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 526     0 

TTC: McNicoll Bus Garage (Approved)

Karen Stintz was a horrible TTC Chair and a lousy politican/ The garage is needed for additional buses, needed to address crowding and for service improvements. If you can't get on the bus because it's too crowded, it's inaccessible to everyone. Remember Stintz presided over the first major TTC service cuts since the Lastman/Harris/Eves years.

Delaying the McNicoll Bus Garage means delays in getting additional buses. Causing more delays for transit users. Causing more crowding on current buses. All to save a few pennies.

Delaying the McNicoll Bus Garage means delays in getting additional buses. Causing more delays for transit users. Causing more crowding on current buses. All to save a few pennies.

It's not even saved pennies. The cost of construction by deferring will increase more than revenues tied to inflationary increases.

It's just Ford and Stintz being dicks.

Why was it delayed?

It was among the capital items Ford's team deferred in his first year.

TTC happens to have some potential money available right now but a decision on what to apply it to (McNicole garage is Byfords only choice) was deferred until 2015.

So, political reasons.

Toronto needs more buses and streetcars than it has, full stop. If the next mayor truly wants to do something concrete in their first term, it's okaying McNicoll and putting in a big order for new buses. Let's get the old warhorses off the road for good.

I know it's nibbling around the edges, but would cancelling whatever YRT/MT contract routes TTC still run help? I think some of the York ones went already so maybe not.

Those contracted routes are really infrequent and don't take many buses to operate.

Half of them are going to be eliminated in 2016 when the spadina subway opens anyway.

It should be remembered that the church and residential buildings were built on land that was zoned as industrial. To build those buildings, they had to beg the city for permission to allow them to do so. However, the surrounding land and the land they built those buildings on, were still zoned industrial.

A bus garage is considered industrial. The land was and is zoned industrial. So the TTC could build their needed garage because it does conform to the zone.

Other industrial users could still move into other land parcels around that area, that are still zoned industrial.

It should be remembered that the church and residential buildings were built on land that was zoned as industrial. To build those buildings, they had to beg the city for permission to allow them to do so. However, the surrounding land and the land they built those buildings on, were still zoned industrial.

A bus garage is considered industrial. The land was and is zoned industrial. So the TTC could build their needed garage because it does conform to the zone.

Other industrial users could still move into other land parcels around that area, that are still zoned industrial.

No matter where this garage was built, the people would complain and exaggerate the reasons it should not be in THEIR neighbourhood. Yet we do need garages somewhere.

No matter where this garage was built, the people would complain and exaggerate the reasons it should not be in THEIR neighbourhood. Yet we do need garages somewhere.
Hard to comprehend. The land was zoned heavy industrial. I really can't think of a much more benign heavy industrial land use.

The issue isn't that the garage will be there, it's that the residents are.

Mind you, I thought Maria Augimeri was coming on strong yesterday when she said the residents there should have known they lived near industrial land. I doubt she had anything of that line when visiting her residents living closest to Sunrise Propane.

Back