News   Apr 25, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 910     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 945     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

512 is to see the new cars starting on September 3 and phase in until they replace the current cars. 2018 will see a new schedule for the new cars.

Councillor Joe Mihevc
"For riders of the 512 St. Clair route, I have fantastic news: the new streetcars will be rolling onto our tracks starting on September 3! The shiny new Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) are low-floor, accessible, air-conditioned, and have a higher passenger capacity. After suffering through over a decade of major and minor construction, shuttle buses, and the dilapidated TTC streetcars, I consider this to be the crowning achievement of the St. Clair right-of-way project. This is a cause for celebration, and I hope you will join the party later this year!"

Sunday, Sept 3 is the start of the September board period. I'm guessing the line (or some of its runs) will transfer to Russell.

Maybe there were some earlier, but zero F cars on 504 now, one ALRV
Don't think there's been any. Weren't any last Saturday either, as far as I recall, even with nothing on Queens Quay. But 28 cars in service, all of 509, 510, and 514. If pattern holds, will be some tomorrow.

Maybe there were some earlier, but zero F cars on 504 now, one ALRV

Don't think there's been any. Weren't any last Saturday either, as far as I recall, even with nothing on Queens Quay. But 28 cars in service, all of 509, 510, and 514. If pattern holds, will be some tomorrow.

They mainly seem to put all of the ones they have available on sundays as they don';t do any training on sundays so they like to put as many as they can in service then.

They mainly seem to put all of the ones they have available on sundays as they don';t do any training on sundays so they like to put as many as they can in service then.
There's 7 runs on the 514 on Saturdays and 5 on Sundays. By schedule there are already 2 cars available.

Was waiting for a 510 on Queens Quay today (6pm) and noticed that the gongs of the Flexities seemed to be lowered in volume wise. At first I thought it was just maybe that one car but a few other Union-bound cars also rang their gongs at pedestrians walking about and it was barely audible. I'm guessing that this might be because the speakers (gong & horns) are located towards the rear of the car? Based on a rough estimate, the gong is only really audible when the car is about 3-4m away. It should definitely be much louder to warn pedestrians and others, especially on busy and noisy streets like Queens Quay.

Was waiting for a 510 on Queens Quay today (6pm) and noticed that the gongs of the Flexities seemed to be lowered in volume wise. At first I thought it was just maybe that one car but a few other Union-bound cars also rang their gongs at pedestrians walking about and it was barely audible. I'm guessing that this might be because the speakers (gong & horns) are located towards the rear of the car? Based on a rough estimate, the gong is only really audible when the car is about 3-4m away. It should definitely be much louder to warn pedestrians and others, especially on busy and noisy streets like Queens Quay.
I think thats why alot of the time the drivers will use the horn more so then the gong. I think they have them at both ends as they can be driven from the rear as well.

I feel like the gong actually comes from both ends of the car, just like the horn, and I've always found the gongs quite loud (as they should be) on the Flexities, unless they lowered the volume/changed the configuration very recently.

And does this give a lot of faith ?

One worker, who requested anonymity in order to protect his job, said the company continues to rush production and has not yet fixed problems with production or the supply chain.

He said workers often try two or three tasks before finding one they can complete because parts are missing or out of tolerance.

“The guys are trying to fill their days,” he said.

He predicted the company won’t produce the 40 cars promised this year. “I think if you believe that you should be investing in Bombardier stock. I’m not investing in Bombardier stock. I think it’s wrong to sell that bill of goods to the customer.”

Yikes.

BombardierSiemensPokemon.png

A lesser-known part of the Bombardier story is their collaboration with Siemens on Alberta's Pokemon system.

Attachments

• BombardierSiemensPokemon.png
    BombardierSiemensPokemon.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 756

Back