News   May 06, 2024
 258     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 824     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 611     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Meanwhile, in this article on possible New York City streetcar routes, at this link, they include a PDF, see link, that includes photographs of Toronto's Flexity streetcars.
IMG_1432.JPG

This machine looks familiar.

Attachments

• IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 302
The 511 BATHURST may have to remain as buses, as long as there is a streetcar shortage. Would have thought that with the 501L and 501M QUEEN replaced with buses west of Roncesvalles, they wouldn't need to. We'll see this weekend.
They are also doing work at Bathurst station that may still be keeping Streetcars out of the loop for various reasons, like for example since they are working on the roof over the buss and streetcar platform they may have the streetcar overhead tuned off for safety reasons.

They are also doing work at Bathurst station that may still be keeping Streetcars out of the loop for various reasons, like for example since they are working on the roof over the buss and streetcar platform they may have the streetcar overhead tuned off for safety reasons.

Brad Ross has stated it's actually due to the streetcar shortage caused by late delivery of flexities. The Bathurst station work does not require streetcars be cancelled. There is some intersection overhead work at Bathurst and King, but that's short-term; the main reason is absolutely the lack of cars.

The TTC website clearly says it's a shortage of streetcars:

upload_2017-2-17_21-13-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-17_21-13-39.png
    upload_2017-2-17_21-13-39.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 335
The TTC website clearly says it's a shortage of streetcars:

View attachment 99208
True however I like to everything they put on the website now with a grain of salt as some of them are pretty bad excuses. like for example they posted that exhibition loop was closed to streetcars because of the royal winter fair, and various other events at exhibition place like the TFC games and the Centennial Classic. Um sure like they would relly close the Streetcar loop for those events but have it open for the Indy and EX or the Pan Am games?

True however I like to everything they put on the website now with a grain of salt as some of them are pretty bad excuses. like for example they posted that exhibition loop was closed to streetcars because of the royal winter fair, and various other events at exhibition place like the TFC games and the Centennial Classic. Um sure like they would relly close the Streetcar loop for those events but have it open for the Indy and EX or the Pan Am games?

The loop was not closed to streetcars due to the winter fair and those other events, it was closed because it was under construction and streetcars did not have track on which to travel. The notice to which you are referring for those various winter events involved keeping buses out of the CNE grounds--since the loop was under construction, the buses had to loop on the roads in the CNE grounds, which they could not do with those events on.

I assure you that if the streetcars/buses went straight down Princes' blvd, they wouldn't be going right into the middle of the CNE/Indy/etc. either.

Also, does a shortage of streetcars seem that dubious to you? FYI, Bombardier happens to have been a tiny bit late delivering a couple of them, and some of our decades-old vehicles have a couple of minor performance deficiencies.

511 will have to be bus even if TTC had the streetcar once work gets underway on rebuilding Bathurst bridge and ramp at Front.

511 will have to be bus even if TTC had the streetcar once work gets underway on rebuilding Bathurst bridge and ramp at Front.
Is there a timeline on that project yet? I wonder if they had enough of the new streetcars by then if they would run them from King to Spadina and then along queens Quay to Exhibition loop?

Is there a timeline on that project yet? I wonder if they had enough of the new streetcars by then if they would run them from King to Spadina and then along queens Quay to Exhibition loop?
It was supposed to happen back in 2015, then last year, move to this year, but 2018 is supposed to be completion date. Where does it set in TTC budget for this year as well the city budget??

Given the timeline for delivery of new cars, 514 will not be done until April. 7 for 509, 14 for 510, 10 for 514, 6 for spare and training. By then, we will know how TTC plans to roll out the cars to other route with 505 still being front runner this year.

Don't expect to see streetcars on 511 until 2018 with the exception of the Ex this year if construction on the bridge hasn't happen by then. Even then, may stay buses with beef up service.

Seems like we've been talking about that bridge rebuild for 7 or 8 years already.

I know the design contract went out last year - but is there a timeframe for construction? I don't recall seeing any design information yet.

Seems like we've been talking about that bridge rebuild for 7 or 8 years already.

I know the design contract went out last year - but is there a timeframe for construction? I don't recall seeing any design information yet.
The design for the slope area has change a number of times to the point it was downgraded to the cheap side. I can't recall when or where I saw the detail info of what is plan for the new design, but one lane and one sidewalk was to remain open. They aren't replacing the existing bent support and only replacing the top deck.

The last I heard it was to take place late this year or early next year. The only way to see when is to look at the budgets for both TTC and the City this year and next to see it and have no plans on chasing it down. When it happens, it happens.

The work was to happen years ago, but delay due to the Strachan underpass that was a year or so late being completed and the city didn't want 2 north-south close at the same time.

MMM Group Limited was the wining bidder at $483,300.00 and was awarded a contract September 8, 2016.

Don't see anything regarding a tender for construction for the work so far.

So I've had som thoughts on the recent delivery schedule and I wonder if it's heavier towards the end of the year in delivers to give the TTC time to get all of the streetcar network upgraded to the new overhead so they don't have to worry about wher the cars that will arrive without Trally poles will end up. Any thoughts on this theory?

So I've had som thoughts on the recent delivery schedule and I wonder if it's heavier towards the end of the year in delivers to give the TTC time to get all of the streetcar network upgraded to the new overhead so they don't have to worry about wher the cars that will arrive without Trally poles will end up. Any thoughts on this theory?

Doubt it, the latest schedule's delivery distribution is likely just the result of the time it takes to ramp up production, and get new assembly lines setup. with the original schedule they would have been well into the pantograph only cars. The TTC probably let the overhead conversion schedule slip with the delays in the new car deliveries to focus on other maintenance work.

Back