News   Apr 25, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 829     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I think it's wonderful, hilarious and amazing that a driver can have a conversation with someone on the sidewalk like that. Like the train is alive or something. :)

Buses on the other hand, usually end up deadheading to their garage or to their route assignment. Buses don't have fuel gauges, so they need to return to their garage for fueling. Streetcars, of course, are "full" and could almost run continuously, except they need to be cleaned, washed, and repaired.

They don't have fuel gauges? How does that make any sense?

That would be an 8-day turnaround per flatbed - so why not? Surely it only takes a day or two to travel from Thunder Bay to Toronto?

Is it even possible to deliver a car every four days using only two flatbeds? [presuming they mean every 4 business days]

Well, there's theory and there's reality. 4417 was 'released' for pickup a couple of days before CP got its stuff together and sent a yard job to pick it up. Similarly, at the Toronto end CP may take its time lining up a yard job to deliver to TTC. The same can happen when it's time to pull the emptied transporter and take it back to T Bay. CP is on a push to cut the number of yard jobs at the moment.
So, my jaded answer would be no, two won't do. But you have to have product to ship before it matters.
- Paul

That would be an 8-day turnaround per flatbed - so why not? Surely it only takes a day or two to travel from Thunder Bay to Toronto?
They often sit for a couple of days before CP picks them up. Here's some recent times for round trip:

4415 - 21 days (over Christmas)
4414 - 12 days
4413 - 12 days
4412 - 21 days
4411 - 12 days
4410 - 15 days

I've never seen one get from Thunder Bay to Toronto in only 1 day. I'd say they need a minimum of 3 - and likely 4 for when there are issues, etc.

They don't have fuel gauges? How does that make any sense?

Buses have to fueled each day (or night) before they leave the garage. It is assumed that each bus will be on the road for the whole day, and there should be enough fuel for stop and go traffic each day. It has been found that some buses have run out of fuel, ending up as out-of-service on the side of the road.

Back