News   Apr 26, 2024
 95     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 327     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 516     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

but, NAFTA?
http://www.export.gov/logistics/eg_main_018132.asp

Preference Criterion B
Even if your good contains non-NAFTA materials, it can qualify as B if the materials satisfy the Rules of Origin. The Annex 401 Rules of Origin are based on a change in tariff classification, a regional value-content requirement, or both.
Preference Criterion B is used when the good being certified is produced using materials that the producer/exporter is unable to prove qualify as originating goods in their own right. The finished product will be originating if the requirements of the applicable rule of origin are met. The requirements of the NAFTA Rules of Origin differ from good to good.

AIUI, most products made in North America include components from outside the continent, and thus NAFTA Criterion B is the most common tariff classification for goods manufactured in North America.

Even Harley-Davidson motorcycles, that American of all brands, contain at least 20% foreign components https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110406181942AAbB1GM.

No evidence that it has actually left Thunder Bay yet, but something is heading this way.

- Paul

Here
"One of the commercial requirements of the contract includes a minimum of 25 per cent Canadian content. Before issuing the RFP, the TTC hired a consultant to review the market and determine the highest percentage of Canadian content the TTC could achieve, while ensuring more than one proponent would bid on the contract. Booz Allen Hamilton determined 25 per cent would be achievable."
So not a law then, just a decision of the TTC/City (albeit one which may have been influenced by chats with higher government, or not)

No evidence that it has actually left Thunder Bay yet, but something is heading this way.

- Paul
tumblr_mu8a6ivh0d1s3ulybo8_r1_250.gif

It hurts to see so many people here bashing what I consider to be one of the finest companies and success stories in Canada.
Duck, they're not a well run company, as is suggested by their abysmal stock performance, currently running at under CAD$0.80, while competitors like Boeing (US$122 a share) and Siemens are growing or managing the global stock decline nicely.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...split-as-shares-dive-sources/article28533668/

fp0129_bombardier_stock_c_mf.gif

If you're looking for Canadian owned industrial firms that are successful, there are much better ones to cheer on than Bombardier. If Bombardier were in the western provinces, they'd already be closed or acquired.

Actually, a repeat of this failure to deliver, this time at Waterloo, would be a useful implement to finally bust Ontario cities free of single-source tenders to Bombardier. City managers across the land would be able to shop for the right vehicles regardless of where they're made - it's not their jobs to ensure employment in Sahagún, Thunder Bay or Berlin.

Ottawa went with Alstom and last I checked, it is in Ontario.

If you're looking for Canadian owned industrial firms that are successful, there are much better ones to cheer on than Bombardier.

Which ones? I can't think of any other Canadian companies making anything unique or complex. I can only think of DWave right now as a leader with an exciting product. Sure there are manufacturers of furnishings, buses, and other things but which others are R&D leaders?

Duck, they're not a well run company, as is suggested by their abysmal stock performance, currently running at under CAD$0.80, while competitors like Boeing (US$122 a share) and Siemens are growing or managing the global stock decline nicely.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...split-as-shares-dive-sources/article28533668/

fp0129_bombardier_stock_c_mf.gif

If you're looking for Canadian owned industrial firms that are successful, there are much better ones to cheer on than Bombardier. If Bombardier were in the western provinces, they'd already be closed or acquired.

I wonder if it would have been worth having the firing of BBD's management a condition of the bailout.

I wonder if it would have been worth having the firing of BBD's management a condition of the bailout.

Management isn't the problem, it's the owners (the ones with voting rights). Management would (probably) be perfectly happy to take a different and less risky direction.

Last edited:

Back