News   Apr 26, 2024
 333     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 188     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 645     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Thanks for sharing! Any spotting of 4418/4419? (remember the theory of BBD building the streetcars in "pairs").

Wondering if 4418/4419 will come soon, or if they would be included in the "one every 4 days" in March.

My friend in Thunder Bay just confirmed that TTC 4417 is on CP 420 with power CP 8834/8515. ETA in Toronto is Sunday at Lambton Yard.
I will let everyone know about subsequent units when I get advised with text and pictures from Thunder Bay. If they stick to schedule, 4418 should be ready for shipment on Thursday, February 11th.

My friend in Thunder Bay just confirmed that TTC 4417 is on CP 420 with power CP 8834/8515. ETA in Toronto is Sunday at Lambton Yard.
I will let everyone know about subsequent units when I get advised with text and pictures from Thunder Bay. If they stick to schedule, 4418 should be ready for shipment on Thursday, February 11th.

Cool, thanks. Do you have any insider info as to what makes them confident they can ramp up delivery (all the time) starting in March?

I care, because I'm a train enthusiast. I couldn't care less about routing or the function it serves or whatever. I only ride trains because, guess what, I like trains - so it matters to me.
I think that's why many here have an issue with your posts. I think a lot of the people posting here negatively about Bombardier, is because they ride the trains because it's how they commute to work and events and to see their friends and shop. So the importance of having working vehicles, vehicles that you can board to go home after a long day at work and not wait outside in the cold for a second or third vehicle, is what is important to many.

Oh, I totally get that - after all, that's the primary function of transport! If it's working properly, it's effortless and transparent to the user. They shouldn't have to care about any of that.

But this is a transit discussion sub forum. :) I can't imagine that there are too many people here who don't care about the details of how it all works (or doesn't).

Forgive me for my ignorance, but why are there 2 of the new streetcars with 510 routing on King St.? I thought The 510 route was more of a "mirrored J" that went from Spadina station and then over to Union via the little tunnel.

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 9.17.21 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 9.17.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 9.17.21 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 731
... and it has been common to see old 510 streetcars on King Street (coming from/to the Barns on Queen East) for years.
Indeed. When there used to be a lot more streetcars on Spadina in mid-morning, it was quite usual around 9 AM to see a couple of 504s ending at Broadview Station, turn into a 510 heading down Broadview to King and then Spadina. (Spadina remains an unusual service, with more demand mid-morning than peak - though not as drastic a difference as it used to be).

Buses on the other hand, usually end up deadheading to their garage or to their route assignment. Buses don't have fuel gauges, so they need to return to their garage for fueling. Streetcars, of course, are "full" and could almost run continuously, except they need to be cleaned, washed, and repaired.

Back