News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

St. Clair West has that cavernous bus/streetcar area as a great asset, and I'm a fan of the open bridge over the tracks, allowing for overhead views of the platforms, and a bit of tunnel. Overall though, the station is an aesthetic mess. The strange "rhythm" tile motif and backlit orange strip at the platform level for whatever reason weren't carried over to other areas. There are natural stones placed near pillars at the bus level which are interesting but almost inexplicable. It's a jumble of interesting elements, and I do like the concrete cladding around the stairs which lead from the platform to the bus area. But it also has blue panels for some reason which hardly work well with yellow or brown.

Wilson has various functionality problems in addition to its subpar aesthetics (for the Spadina line) and would seem a candidate for full demolition in the future.

I wouldn't change Glencairn. The only station north of Bloor on the Spadina line I would consider touching is Wilson which needs to have its ugly painted metal slats removed. Wilson's platform level is a mess. It would be nice to have Yorkdale restored to its original condition with the coloured lighting as well.

Wilson needs a total rebuild - getting rid of at least two of the requisite stairs/escalator climbs is easy to do, and get rid of the double-deck bus terminal that has outlived its original purpose, and replace it with a level bus loop. You could build Wilson to require only one elevator to make it fully accessible, right now you need at least three.

Full demolition (apart from the subway platform level and directly below it, so at least it could remain fully functioning at all times, and where the neat "Caverns" is), is the best bet.

St. Clair West has that cavernous bus/streetcar area as a great asset, and I'm a fan of the open bridge over the tracks, allowing for overhead views of the platforms, and a bit of tunnel. Overall though, the station is an aesthetic mess. The strange "rhythm" tile motif and backlit orange strip at the platform level for whatever reason weren't carried over to other areas. There are natural stones placed near pillars at the bus level which are interesting but almost inexplicable. It's a jumble of interesting elements, and I do like the concrete cladding around the stairs which lead from the platform to the bus area. But it also has blue panels for some reason which hardly work well with yellow or brown.

Wilson has various functionality problems in addition to its subpar aesthetics (for the Spadina line) and would seem a candidate for full demolition in the future.

I've always thought of St. Clair West as a nod to one of the less interesting Montreal Metro stations.

As for Dufferin, I don't know how I feel about it. But as others have mentioned, I think the look from that era needs to be preserved in some places.

Small update:

• A report to the Government Management Committee on Jan 13th recommends that council authorize the commencement of negotiations to acquire 1140 Bloor St W., 7 Russett Ave & 1030 Dufferin St.

I'm assuming the city is going to purchase only parts of these parcels of land. I know the person who lives at 7 Russett and I don't think the TTC is planning on buying his whole house.

I believe the laneway is being shifted north, and onto the very rear portion of 7 Russett and along the south side of the Bell building at 1030 Dufferin, and the station itself will encroach onto the property of the church at 1140 Bloor W.

I guess this means they are going ahead with their plans. With the budget crunch, I wasn't certain.

th_bart.jpg

You could build Wilson to require only one elevator to make it fully accessible, right now you need at least three.
Two acctualy. One for the platform, and one for the bus bay. There is a door that goes from the area beside the washrooms to the first bus level.

No, if you built it the way I described, you would only need one. The northeast parking lot and entrance to Wilson (north side) are level with the fare gates. The reason for going down and then up to get to buses is to get under the bus roadway for the east side of the lower bus terminal. If you have a larger, but simplified level bus loop you would only need one elevator.

With the current set up, you need three, to get under the bus road, unless you (the horror!) introduce a level grade crossing of the bus roadway. Then you could get away with two elevators without any terminal construction (which I guess perhaps you meant). But I would implode the entire double deck, 3-floor bus terminal if I had the chance.

I do deliveries for Buttcon on a regular basis. For the record, I believe the founder's name is Michael Butt, hence the name.

Of all the TTC stations that need fixing up Dufferin ranks near the top in my books. The colour scheme with the tiles used has not aged well in the slightest. The entrance fitted into the medical building, and the cold and utilitarian station exterior come off as depressing and uninviting in appearance.

Back