News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

I never found the connection at Dufferin to be that bad. You never have to wait too long for a 29 to pop by. And there's always lots of people. People in Mississauga have characterized Duffern Mall as "ghetto", but those people don't know what they're talking about. I've never felt unsafe in the Dufferin/College-Bloor area.

Does anyone know why Dufferin has gotten so busy?

I know tonnes of people transfer from the 32 to the 29 coming from Eglinton West Station during the evening rush. The 32 practically empties once it reaches Dufferin, but fills up with people who are transferring from the 29 to the 32.

I have tried taking the 29 instead of the 32 and transfering to the subway and its hit or miss in terms of reliability. Some days its faster than being stuck in Eglinton traffic, and other days its pretty slow too.

As for Dufferin Mall, its all renovated and looks all new now.

I never found the connection at Dufferin to be that bad. You never have to wait too long for a 29 to pop by. And there's always lots of people. People in Mississauga have characterized Duffern Mall as "ghetto", but those people don't know what they're talking about. I've never felt unsafe in the Dufferin/College-Bloor area.

Does anyone know why Dufferin has gotten so busy?

I lived in that neighborhood for over four years and never found it remotely as bad as people make it out to seem. I even walked along Bloor St. late at night past some of those run-down corner store/apt buildings and was never harassed.

About Dufferin Mall and the 29 bus, ever notice how a overcrowded bus half-empties by College St.? My suggestion about the tunnel would only need go as far as the KFC/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell on the south side of Croatia. Much like Yorkdale Mall did in the seventies it can extend outwards linking to that property and hence the tunnel.

So considering all that, the reason I feel 29 Dufferin is offically the highest used bus route in the city is because of the diversity of markets it hits: Exhibition, Parkdale, Dufferin Mall, Corso Italia, Eglinton West BIA, Yorkdale.
The route could be split into two routes at Eglinton considering what Tuscani said, though that would probably just add on to existing congestion. Another solution could also be a LRT/BRT line. But then again proximity to the Spadina Line might cripple that proposal as well.

I notice enough people ride the bus only between the subway and the mall. What a waste and a slowdown to service.

Hey, if theres a bus already at the station, I dont see why not. Its all about convenience. Its those who wait at Dufferin station for a bus to Dufferin Mall that annoy me. Especially when they get onto the packed bus and stand away from the doors, forcing everyone to squeeze tight to let them exit.

Same thing happens at Eg-West with the Marlee stop. Its faster to walk to Marlee from Eglinton West than wait for the next bus, yet some people insist on waiting for the bus.

Hey, if theres a bus already at the station, I dont see why not. Its all about convenience. Its those who wait at Dufferin station for a bus to Dufferin Mall that annoy me. Especially when they get onto the packed bus and stand away from the doors, forcing everyone to squeeze tight to let them exit.

Not if they're awaiting the Slyvan stop, that's at least a 10 min walk easy. I normally get off at that one as opposed to the 'official' mall entrance stop to enter the mall asap.

Some people will not walk as long as there's a transit line going the same way, no matter how long the wait is or how crowded the vehicles are. People will wait 5 minutes for a westbound subway at Yonge and get off at Bay when they could have walked through the mini-PATH in 2 or 3 minutes. Why walk when you can squeeze another little bit of service out of your fare?

Some people will not walk as long as there's a transit line going the same way, no matter how long the wait is or how crowded the vehicles are. People will wait 5 minutes for a westbound subway at Yonge and get off at Bay when they could have walked through the mini-PATH in 2 or 3 minutes. Why walk when you can squeeze another little bit of service out of your fare?

This is so true and sad. I see it happen in Mississauga too, especially with our time-based transfers. And especially given the longer waits for a bus in Mississauga. You'd be better off walking.

People will wait 5 minutes for a westbound subway at Yonge and get off at Bay when they could have walked through the mini-PATH in 2 or 3 minutes.

There you go. That's why I think an underground walkway makes alot of practical sense. If close to half of all southbound 29 passengers want off at the mall, then most likely a chunk of seats could be spared for long-distance travellers by accomodating people's need to not walk up flights of stairs, cross a busy intersection and walk down a windchilled narrow sidewalk.

Given the distance between one end of the mall and the next (half of the geography between College and Bloor) that many visitors gleefully walk through, I find it hard to envision a direct mini-PATH link to the subway line (200m at most) would detriment anyone.

Well, technically, Jason, that's not in Mississauga but in Malton, which is an overseas territory to Hazelville much like St. Pierre et Miquelon is to France.

The problem with a miniPATH is not so much financial as financial and legal. apparently the sign-offs for the interconnections in downtown - who owns them, who maintains them - are quite complex.

I wish some of the East York bus routes passed through the subway line rather than terminated as Dufferin does - it would mean for me that the 501/502/503 would be one change rather than two change (22+70) alternatives to loading down Yonge/Bloor.

The idea of a walkway to Dufferin Mall is interesting. I think if the school properties on the corner were redeveloped, the mall would love to extend to Bloor (was once their plan, I think). Not sure what I think of that. But would love to see a movie theatre and public square on this corner, with subway station entrance on the southwest corner. Longterm this area might become more like Eglinton/Yonge (though not as ritzy of course).

The TTC website has some more info on Dufferin Station modernization, http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...dernization/Station_Modernization_Details.jsp. Sounds like they will not only be adding elevators and bus shelters, but also adding another entrance and way out from the platforms to street, for safety reasons. Seems likely the new entrance will be on Russett or Pauline (I think the tracks go that way already, and there is a large vent shaft on the alley between these two streets).

I live on Russett and will be very keen to see how they would handle the design of an entrance here on a residential street. The ones I know of, on Emerson (Lansdowne), Delaware (Ossington), and Chester look kind of bleak to me. Of course what exists on the bottom of Russett is pretty ugly already (seniors home with parking/dumpster, garbage piled next to sidewalk on pick-up days, and across the street a garage with occasional piles of garbage outside) so maybe anything would be an improvement.

If anyone hears of a public meeting about this station, please do post. Thanks.

Just got a flyer in the mail about this since I live in close proximity of Dufferin Station. There's also an open house on this next week Wednesday.

It shall commence in late 2009 and will take 2 and a half years.

Key improvements include:

- Upgraded and modernized station finishes, including an integrated art component.

- Enlarged waiting area at the main entrance, on the east side of Dufferin Street.

- New sidewalk canopies on both sides of Dufferin Street.

- 2 new second exits on Russett Avenue (1 block west).

- New elevators to provide full accessibility from street to platforms.

Back