News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

Notice of Open House

You are invited to attend our Open House and give us your comments about the project, understand the scope of work, and find out what to expect during construction!
Open House:
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

St. Wenceslaus Church
496 Gladstone Avenue
(1 block east of Dufferin Street at Bloor Street)
By TTC: From Dufferin Station, walk one block east along Bloor Street. Turn south on Gladstone Avenue (entrance is on the west side).
Project staff will be available to answer questions between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Some people will not walk as long as there's a transit line going the same way, no matter how long the wait is or how crowded the vehicles are. People will wait 5 minutes for a westbound subway at Yonge and get off at Bay when they could have walked through the mini-PATH in 2 or 3 minutes. Why walk when you can squeeze another little bit of service out of your fare?

Not true.

I walk to the mall from the subway with a lot of other people than wait for the bus. If the bus is at the stop, I may get on it.

Need to spend time on the south side of Bloor to see this.

Yes some ppl don't like to walk a block or 2 than waste 15 minutes for a bus.

Your observations coincide with mine regarding the Dufferin bus and people getting on just to get off at Dufferin Mall. It just depends on the person really. You really never know how long you'll have to wait for a bus, so it's usually easier to just walk it, or if it's there, take it.

Just got back from the Open House. The project looks fairly ambitious and would add a lot of functionality to Dufferin Station, and also add some urbanity to the Bloor/Dufferin intersection.

Still lots of details to work out. They said there will be another meeting in the spring with more detailed plans etc.

Not true.

I walk to the mall from the subway with a lot of other people than wait for the bus. If the bus is at the stop, I may get on it.

Need to spend time on the south side of Bloor to see this.

Yes some ppl don't like to walk a block or 2 than waste 15 minutes for a bus.

I clearly said "some people will not walk," not "everyone, including and especially drum118, will not walk." "Some" is mysterious but very big grey area between all and none...unfortunately, grey areas don't exist on the internet. What I said is certainly true and will still be true should they build a walkway, and not just because the walkway would be almost as long as the SkyWalk.

I clearly said "some people will not walk," not "everyone, including and especially drum118, will not walk." "Some" is mysterious but very big grey area between all and none...unfortunately, grey areas don't exist on the internet. What I said is certainly true and will still be true should they build a walkway, and not just because the walkway would be almost as long as the SkyWalk.

What do you mean I don't walk?

I walk from the Mall to Bloor than wait for a bus. Unless I already on the bus, I walk to the mall.

If the bus is there and the weather poor, yes I will grab the bus just like anyone else would who has paid a fare to ride the system in the first place. That about 5% of my trips at best.

Yes there will always be riders who will stand and wait 30 minutes for a bus to take them to a stop that only a 5 or 10 minutes walking distance away.

Sad part, the northbound riders get the shaft as they get no new area to stand and wait out in the cold compare to the southbound riders. If those 2 stores where remove, a waiting area for riders.

I like the comment why an elevator cannot be put in for the east side as well an entrance on the south side of Bloor. $$$$$.

They had a laugh at the idea of putting a tunnel in to the mall as some suggested.

Other than the east side, I'm happy at the change after fighting to get up to #1 back in 2005 for the current round of Modernization.

I have an idea how TTC can replace the 12 parking spots that are going to be lost for this update, a lift that will hold 4 cars per spot. 4 spot = 16 cars. Better still bye, bye.

Does anyone have the images of the preliminary design from the public meeting? They were supposed to post them but I haven't seen them yet.

TTC Website Updated

Dufferin Station Modernization now has an official page on the TTC's website. There is a tinny-tiny aerial image, but that's the only imagery provided.. unfortunately :mad:

Ah, on the Projects and Initiatives Page. I was scratching my head for a minute trying to find where, but I realized it was under the "About the TTC" section.

I guess that makes sense in the design phase, but now that Construction is ongoing at Pape and especially at Victoria Park (and Kipling?), I'm surprised that those projects aren't listed on the much easier to find Construction page (if only as a additional link to the individual station pages).

Hmm, when you add up all the ongoing construction projects at various stations, there seems to be more happening at the moment than in a long, long time - perhaps since the original construction.

Another Open House on Monday May 11th from 4-7 PM at Dovercourt Baptist Church this time.

Last time the presentation was pertaining to the station configuration, this time it's about the finishes and artwork.

• A totally new entrance facility at street level.
  • Replacement of wall finishes as required.
  • Upgrade or replacement of terrazzo flooring.
  • Upgrade of ceiling finish and configuration.
  • New signage throughout.
  • Retention of existing station name format.
  • Integration of art into wall finishes.

A better, brighter Dufferin Station, without that sickly green hue

A decent cross section is available at the link below.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/dufferinstation.jpg

By Daniel Blackburn, National Post

One of the city’s busiest subway stations is losing its sickly aqua-green hue.

The $41-million remake of Dufferin Station, to be presented at a public meeting tonight, will introduce dramatic natural light and banish the familiar tiles that define the aesthetic of the Bloor-Danforth line.

Instead, Dufferin will get terrazzo floor tiles, glazed block walls, a suspended perforated ceiling, and public art by Eduardo Aquino and Karen Shanksi. Their art will be featured on glazed block walls on the street and platform levels.

“The aim of this project is ... to make Dufferin Station modern, accessible, and airy and bright,” said project manager Dave Griggs.

“The theme of the art work is ‘something happens here,’ which will feature enlarged pixelated images of people and the surrounding community. Up close, people will see each enlarged individual pixel, but standing back they will see the full image” said Mr. Griggs.

Dufferin is the second station, after Pape, in the TTC’s $275-million modernization of stations along the Bloor-Danforth line, which opened in 1966. Next up are Bloor-Yonge, Islington, Kipling and Victoria Park.

The program aims to improve finishings on the walls, floors and ceilings inside the subway stops, along with better lighting. On the outside, the focus will be on creating new station appearances and landscaping.

In March, TTC commissioners voted to scrap the uniform tile motif of its stations, in favour of unique designs. The decision upset purists angry that the subway line’s iconic visual identity — the system even has its own typeface — is being tampered with.

City councillor Adam Vaughan, a member of the Toronto Preservation Board, has noted each station’s tiles are part of a set pattern along the Bloor-Danforth line, and has warned the TTC against throwing away its visual heritage: “It’s designed as a piece and it speaks to an era gone by,” Mr. Vaughan said last year.

But at Dufferin Station, users cheered the renovation: “It sounds really nice. It’s like the Impressionist movement used by French artists,” said Clancy Pryde.

Added Michael Coe: “It is better than aqua green tile.”

The Dufferin renovation will also add an elevator and two new platform street exits, and also complement the city’s new environmental initiatives. These include landscaping with drought resistant plants, increased natural lighting, LED lighting, green and cool roofs, and bicycle storage. The green roof limits water runoff into storm sewers and will “reduce the heat island footprint” said Mr. Griggs.

I am with AV on this one. For what Toronto lacks in, say, grand old palaces and baroque commercial districts, we have gobs of mid-century modern architecture and design that will, one day, be thoroughly appreciated. I wish the TTC would realize this and resist redesigning stations according to the fashion of the day.

At the same time, aside from state-of-good-repair and, of course, elevators where possible, I would much rather see capital funds earmarked for station overhauls go into the contingency fund for new streetcars if the province doesn't step up, or to convert fare collection to Presto. Investments like those will improve the quality of service in a way that, much as I love public art, station overhauls will not.

^ Well said.

This ongoing destruction of our visual identity is infuriating and the station will likely look as cheap as Museum now does.

This bugs me. Isn't the whole point of this to make the stations make unique? Then why is the TTC ripping out the visual heritage of the original tiles to replace it with a duplicate of the art concept from Sheppard-Yonge station, albeit with different images? How is that "unique"?

dufferinstation.jpg

Back