News   Apr 24, 2024
 680     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 880     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 557     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Well, the idea behind transit city was converting the busiest bus routes to ROW-rail, even if there was no pre-existing track. There are a couple extensions of the legacy network that I'd really like to see, and that I've seen on a few fantasy maps:

1) 509 Harbourfront - ROW operation - The WWLRT extension of the harbourfront streetcar is the most likely to actually be built. This has good transport value. However, I think it would be more useful if it were built along Fort York and made part of the Bremner "LRT" instead of following the existing Queens Quay, especially given the issues with the light through-put at Fleet (which the TTC has noted and suggested).
2) 512 St. Clair - ROW operation - a St. Clair West streetcar extension is on the books for an extension at least to Jane, but I'd like to see it continued along Dundas to reach Kipling station. An EA was done for this. This would help continue the redevelopment of Stockyards further west. There is limited transport value in this, but given the 6-points redevelopment and all the retail and development at Islington and along dundas, this would be help support TOD and intensification.
3) 505 Dundas - Mixed traffic - A Dundas streetcar northern extension through the Junction to reach St. Clair - The Dundas streetcar used to reach this far north. This would support all the trendy new development in the Junction, and would allow operational flexibility (and significantly reduce deadheading) for the St. Clair streetcar line. The only caveat is that the Junction bus that this replaces isn't the busiest.
4) 29 Dufferin - Mixed traffic - I've seen this on fantasy maps, where the TTC's busiest bus route is replaced with a streetcar running from the Eglinton LRT's dufferin station down to Bloor and then through to downtown. This would fix the issue of forcing dufferin bus users to switch modes at bloor. Although still in mixed-traffic, this would be an improvement in comfort and capacity for what is currently one of the TTC's busiest and most uncomfortable routes.
5) 80 Queensway - ROW operation - This is a bit of a fantasy, but given how the Queensway has been identified in the Official Plan as a transport corridor, and as an Avenue meant for mid-rise development, it makes sense that it would have higher order transit to service it. Some ROW track already exists on the Queensway, continuing along all the way to Sherway gardens would support intensification and would create TOD in what I believe is one of Toronto's next big development corridors. This proposal would do better if it could connect to a DRL station around exhibition. This proposal is more axed around development than a transport need (leading rather than lagging development), given how little ridership the (admittedly infrequent) 80 bus has.
6) 65 Parliament - Mixed traffic - Changing this bus to a streetcar would require the least amount of track of any proposal. It could also connect to a DRL station.
7) 63 Ossington - Mixed traffic - Replacing this with a streetcar would require very little track, and the platform could easily be modified to handle streetcars.
8) 502 Kingston road - Mixed traffic - I'd like to see this brought up Victoria Park Avenue to the Danforth subway instead of terminating at Bingham loop

I'd say that if the Jane LRT came to fruition as initially planned, you could have a major hub at Jane/St. Clair (512, Milton GO, Jane LRT, and maybe your 505 extension).
The 80 Queensway makes sense with a hub at Sherway particularly with the multi-phase development now proposed in the lands bounded by West Mall, Queensway and North Queen (Acura, Chapters, old Sherway Cinemas, Staples, etc.)

Toronto_SmartTrack.png

How will the Provincial Liberals and John Tory win their respective elections in 2018? By promising the Downtown Relief Line through SmartTrack. And here's how:

The Richmond Hill GO line was one of the few GO lines that has not received funding for corridor electrification and GO-RER. I believe this is because Metrolinx are looking to create a new alignment (Don Branch Alignment pg-9) for the Richmond Hill GO line south of Eglinton as the present alignment is impractical, prone to flooding and not worth maintaining. However, being one of the main GO routes, an upgrade is inevitable and the 2018 election cycle is as good of a time to promise it as any.

Toronto has needed a Downtown Relief Line for ages, a downtown subway has literally been talked about for a century now. York Region needs the DRL to be built so construction can commence on the Yonge North line and intensification of their city centres can continue.

By 2018, John Tory will want to have his SmartTrack along the Stouffville corridor already underway. Using funds freed up from the conversion of the Scarborough Subway Extension (over $4 Billion projected with non-McCowen alignment) to an above-ground spur of SmartTrack (and hopefully from dropping the Eglinton West spur), he will be looking for a new project to champion in the 2018 election cycle. A Downtown Relief Line seems important but John Tory is already the champion of SmartTrack. So how about a second SmartTrack line?

Here is how it would work:

• The Richmond Hill corridor would be converted to a shared GO-RER and SmartTrack corridor just like the Stouffville corridor in Scarborough. Except rather than using the long, elongated route along the Don River, it will enter a Don Mills tunnel just north of Lawrence. To save costs I think Don Mills is wide enough for cut+cover.
  • From there, the line takes the traditional DRL alignment through Thorncliffe Park and down Pape to Pape Station on Line 2. This gives us interchanges with the Eglinton Crosstown and the Danforth Subway that were not previously present.
  • At Gerrard Square in East York, the Richmond Hill line meets with Scarborough SmartTrack. The two lines merge and head west towards a downtown tunnel along Queen street. While the Richmond Hill, Stouffville, Seaton and Lakeshore East GO-RER trains head south to Union Station.

Inside the Downtown Tunnel, the two SmartTrack lines together will provide subway-like frequencies of less than 2.5 minutes. Here is the rough breakdown:

Downtown Tunnel
10 Trains per Hour from Langstaff
10 Trains per Hour from Markham
5 Trains per Hour from Malvern
total = 25 Trains per Hour or 2.4 minute frequency

If we have 10 trains coming from Malvern, we achieve a flat 2 minute frequency.

From there, they emerge out of the downtown tunnel at Queen West and continue along the corridor to Mount Dennis on the Eglinton Crosstown, interchanging with Line 2 again at Dundas West on the way. At Mount Dennis, it may either continue along Eglinton to Airport Corporate Centre (and Mississauga?) or along the Kitchener Corridor to Woodbine (detour to Pearson along UPX corridor?). My personal preference is that the Eglinton West spur gets cut from the SmartTrack plan and the Kitchener Corridor is used.

There you have it, the solution to Toronto's transit problems by 2030. GO-RER on all corridors minus Barrie and Milton, a SmartTrack that acts as both a Downtown Subway and as a Relief Line, and it is possible to build as for the first time Toronto's history, various interests can align in the 2018 Election cycle to build this downtown line.

Critique away. :)

Attachments

• Toronto_SmartTrack.png
    Toronto_SmartTrack.png
    178 KB · Views: 6,403
The Richmond Hill GO line was one of the few GO lines that has not received funding for corridor electrification and GO-RER. I believe this is because Metrolinx are looking to create a new alignment (Don Branch Alignment pg-9) for the Richmond Hill GO line south of Eglinton as the present alignment is impractical, prone to flooding and not worth maintaining. However, being one of the main GO routes, an upgrade is inevitable and the 2018 election cycle is as good of a time to promise it as any.

Your map doesn't follow the Don Branch you talk about. I agree a Don Branch re-alignment makes sense, but unless people are comfortable with a long and high transfer between Broadview and the Don Branch (plus the fact it's too far west), you're not going to be taking any relief off Line 1 (at Steve Munro pointed out when I raised the issue in response to one of his blog posts). Going to Pape involves a new bridge across the Don alongside Millwood, bypassing the Don Branch altogether.

I think you need the Relief Line regardless. I think a realigned Richmond Hill line along Don Branch could give you Leaside and Thorncliff stops while mostly using an existing route, and would probably negate the need for a Don Mills LRT....i.e. spend what you would have on Don Mills LRT to alter Richmond Hill, still connect to Eglinton, use the Don Branch and lift the north-of-Gerrard stretch out of the floodplain.

Your map doesn't follow the Don Branch you talk about. I agree a Don Branch re-alignment makes sense, but unless people are comfortable with a long and high transfer between Broadview and the Don Branch (plus the fact it's too far west), you're not going to be taking any relief off Line 1 (at Steve Munro pointed out when I raised the issue in response to one of his blog posts). Going to Pape involves a new bridge across the Don alongside Millwood, bypassing the Don Branch altogether.

I think you need the Relief Line regardless. I think a realigned Richmond Hill line along Don Branch could give you Leaside and Thorncliff stops while mostly using an existing route, and would probably negate the need for a Don Mills LRT....i.e. spend what you would have on Don Mills LRT to alter Richmond Hill, still connect to Eglinton, use the Don Branch and lift the north-of-Gerrard stretch out of the floodplain.

Oh no, I said that Metrolinx are probably delaying electrifying and converting the Richmond Hill line to GO-RER because they intend to adopt the Don Branch.

My map does not follow the Don Branch. I brought the Don Branch up because I am making the claim that this is fortuitous timing to propose re-routing and tunneling the Richmond Hill line as SmartTrack and re-purposing it into the Downtown Relief Line. Apologies if this was not clearer.

---

Realigning Richmond Hill along the Don Branch and tunneling under Don Mills certainly gives us a proper Richmond Hill GO-RER line and negates the need for a Don Mills LRT. However, as you pointed out there would still be a need for a Relief Line regardless. Rather than using the Don Branch, if we adopted the traditional DRL routing for Richmond Hill as SmartTrack, we can negate the need for a DRL and kill two birds with one stone.

Realigning Richmond Hill along the Don Branch and tunneling under Don Mills certainly gives us a proper Richmond Hill GO-RER line and negates the need for a Don Mills LRT. However, as you pointed out there would still be a need for a Relief Line regardless. Rather than using the Don Branch, if we adopted the traditional DRL routing for Richmond Hill as SmartTrack, we can negate the need for a DRL and kill two birds with one stone.

Yup, it really does make the most sense, IMO. The "Central Tunnel" component of the SmartTrack DRL would be used by multiple branches, while the "East York Tunnel" component of the DRL would be used just by the Richmond Hill branch (both SmartTrack and GO RER). This also negates the need to rebuild the meandering RH line southward from just north of Lawrence, including the flood protections that would be required.

BTW, nice looking map! It's pretty much bang on.

I like it.

From Metrolinx's Capital Projects board report out this week though, they recommend that the relief line terminate at Line 4. Also, I think the preferred alignment for Line D is actually to go up Line E (Barrie) and cut across Steeles to then head to Bolton. The reasoning there was that Metrolinx owned Barrie, and could carry more capacity on it, while the Kitchener corridor is already quite full south of Weston (leaving out future HSR too).

Is it even possible to run transit on that rail corridor along Dupont/Summerhill? I thought it was freight only.

I like it.

From Metrolinx's Capital Projects board report out this week though, they recommend that the relief line terminate at Line 4. Also, I think the preferred alignment for Line D is actually to go up Line E (Barrie) and cut across Steeles to then head to Bolton. The reasoning there was that Metrolinx owned Barrie, and could carry more capacity on it, while the Kitchener corridor is already quite full south of Weston (leaving out future HSR too).
I understand their reason here, but it's unfortunate. It means that they miss out at potential stations at Finch West and Wilson Avenue. Both streets are probably too close to Downsview along the Barrie Line to make sense as stops.

Finch West would probably be a good station, as it could intercept all Rexdale traffic coming from the west along the LRT. Going up the Barrie Line means that anyone on the LRT needs to transfer to the subway, go to Downsview, and then transfer to the GO Train to continue south.

Love the use of "Bs" for the Scarborough Malvern-Kennedy shuttle line... intentional? ;)

The Dupont corridor could work if you kick freight trains out. If not then build additional tracks along side it and have elevated tracks above the freight tracks where there's no free space.

Hello, guys. Yes, I'm here. I created this a few days ago.

Commentable link: http://imgur.com/gallery/1pZ1yO9/new

The Dupont corridor could work if you kick freight trains out. If not then build additional tracks along side it and have elevated tracks above the freight tracks where there's no free space.

I'm sure that that can be used as a very good argument in support of re-introducing passenger traffic there, as more and more crude oil is being transported in the Midtown corridor. I'm sure many people would be against that.

CP would probably not be particularly happy though, so there would have to be extensive negotiations first. Proposals to reintroduce service, however, have been known to officials (and considered) for quite some time already.

Expansion of railways would probably be necessary anyway, mixed traffic or not.

Last edited:

Back