News   Apr 24, 2024
 892     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 605     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Hello, guys. Yes, I'm here. I created this a few days ago.

Commentable link: http://imgur.com/gallery/1pZ1yO9/new
Looks very good.

1) This looks like an RER train will go from Lisgar to the Crosstown, but not to Union?
2) Why is the Spadina and St. Clair LRT shown but not the Harbourfront LRT?
3) and why is Queen streetcar shown - will it become a transit only street?

Looks very good.

1) This looks like an RER train will go from Lisgar to the Crosstown, but not to Union?
2) Why is the Spadina and St. Clair LRT shown but not the Harbourfront LRT?
3) and why is Queen streetcar shown - will it become a transit only street?

I'm not sure about this, but it had seemed to me that the Line A/Line 3 would make the Harbourfront LRT become sort of redundant.

Tell me if I'm wrong though.

Great map. I think if I had to add anything it would be an Eglinton LRT eastern extension to hook up with Eglinton Station on the Eastern Lakeshore. It would east/west commuting much easier for relatively little expense.

I've been in the process of moving to Hamilton, so I haven't had much time to post on here lately. Here's a couple things that I've been working on, specifically dealing with route maps, and their standardization across the GTHA. Here's a couple that I've finished:

1%20-%20Yonge-University%20Map.jpg

2%20-%20Bloor-Danforth.jpg

5%20LE%20LW%20NI%20-%20Lakeshore%20Map.jpg

A few things to note:
1) These maps only show projects that are complete, under construction, or are fully funded. No fantasy stuff is shown here.
2) They follow the new route identification scheme that I have laid out: frequent heavy rail (i.e. subway and RER) are numbered, while LRT, BRT, and Commuter Rail are lettered. This fits in with what the TTC has already signed, but it does affect the signage of future routes. Some current VIVA and Züm routes are also re-lettered to fit into the scheme.

Let me know what you think!

PS: I know the 1 Yellow and M Yellow are kind of similar, but the yellow used on the M route is actually Tiger Cat Yellow, taken directly from the Ti-Cat logo.

I've been in the process of moving to Hamilton, so I haven't had much time to post on here lately. Here's a couple things that I've been working on, specifically dealing with route maps, and their standardization across the GTHA. Here's a couple that I've finished:

They look great, but trying to add neighbourhood divisions within Old Toronto is hopeless -- people will never agree, and there are certainly big problems with the ones you've chosen, e.g. Spadina and St. George are not in Yorkville, Jane is not in Etobicoke but it's not in High Park either, Gerrard Square is not in East York, and you use "Midtown Toronto" to refer to both midtown and uptown (not that anyone agrees where the boundary is)...and so on.

They look great, but trying to add neighbourhood divisions within Old Toronto is hopeless -- people will never agree, and there are certainly big problems with the ones you've chosen, e.g. Spadina and St. George are not in Yorkville, Jane is not in Etobicoke but it's not in High Park either, Gerrard Square is not in East York, and you use "Midtown Toronto" to refer to both midtown and uptown (not that anyone agrees where the boundary is)...and so on.

That's a good point. I was kind of worried about the whole "different boundaries for different people" thing, so I tried to pick ones that would resonate with most people and give people a general idea of where they were when they're on their trip. The Jane one is a mistake, since the border of Etobicoke and Old Toronto is pretty clear. Spadina is part of the Annex (which it's shown as), and I consider St. George to be close enough to Yorkville to be a part of it. It's only a block or so west of Avenue, which is certainly part of Yorkville. Gerrard Square and Danforth should probably be in "The Danforth", like on the Bloor-Danforth map. And yes, I found the border between Midtown and Uptown to be very confusing. I suppose it could go between Davisville and Eglinton? Although I personally consider Yonge & Eglinton to be the hub of "Midtown".

For those who are wondering, I've based my maps on these, which are/will be used by LA Metro: http://calurbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/LA_line_maps.gif

For the Bloor–Danforth map, you forgot to make Spadina station an interchange station (despite that long walkway).

Thanks for noticing that! I have it labelled as an interchange on the YU map, but it looks like I forgot about it on the BD map.

I really like the Yonge Line map. It is a different way to think about our city and our transit network from usual.

Thank you. I was thinking this would be more useful in the overhead signage areas, instead of the full system map. I was also toying with putting in POIs at each station, but I found it was a bit too cluttered. If I can find a more space-efficient way to do it, I may re-include that.

1%20-%20Yonge-University%20Map.jpg
Since the focus is on each individual line and what it connects to, I think that the waterfront LRTs and St. Clair (and the Spadina route) merit some mention, since they are useful connections. If it were a complete system map I could see why they're excluded (for the sake of having an uncluttered map)

Sorry to be pedantic, but "Runneymede" should read "Runnymede".

5%20LE%20LW%20NI%20-%20Lakeshore%20Map.jpg

A few things to note:
1) These maps only show projects that are complete, under construction, or are fully funded. No fantasy stuff is shown here.
2) They follow the new route identification scheme that I have laid out: frequent heavy rail (i.e. subway and RER) are numbered, while LRT, BRT, and Commuter Rail are lettered. This fits in with what the TTC has already signed, but it does affect the signage of future routes. Some current VIVA and Züm routes are also re-lettered to fit into the scheme.

PS: I know the 1 Yellow and M Yellow are kind of similar, but the yellow used on the M route is actually Tiger Cat Yellow, taken directly from the Ti-Cat logo.

By the time all of this is built (Sheppard East LRT, Scarborough Subway Extension, GO RER) we will be past the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act deadline of 2025 for the TTC to be accessible, so in theory all those little wheelchair icons should be unnecessary.

Of course, if you're going just by what is funded, you could put the wheelchair icon next to every station except Greenwood, Keele, Spadina, Christie, Castle Frank, Summerhill, High Park, Museum, Rosedale, Old Mill, Glencairn, Warden, and Islington.

Since the focus is on each individual line and what it connects to, I think that the waterfront LRTs and St. Clair (and the Spadina route) merit some mention, since they are useful connections. If it were a complete system map I could see why they're excluded (for the sake of having an uncluttered map)

That's a good point. One of the other things I was mulling over was showing all local bus/streetcar connections at every station. But, like the POIs, it started to look too cluttered. The question then becomes where do you draw the line? Do you include Waterfront, St. Clair, and Spadina, but exclude King, Queen, etc? Or do you include all streetcar lines but exclude buses? Or do you just try and cram every connection on there?

Sorry to be pedantic, but "Runneymede" should read "Runnymede".

Noted, my bad!

By the time all of this is built (Sheppard East LRT, Scarborough Subway Extension, GO RER) we will be past the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act deadline of 2025 for the TTC to be accessible, so in theory all those little wheelchair icons should be unnecessary.

Of course, if you're going just by what is funded, you could put the wheelchair icon next to every station except Greenwood, Keele, Spadina, Christie, Castle Frank, Summerhill, High Park, Museum, Rosedale, Old Mill, Glencairn, Warden, and Islington.

That's a good point too. For accessibility, I just went by what it is right now, although in retrospect I could have done some research to see the timetable for station accessibility upgrades. Removing them would probably be easiest, or maybe create an icon to show what ISN'T wheelchair accessible, since there will probably be a few stragglers.

That's a good point. One of the other things I was mulling over was showing all local bus/streetcar connections at every station. But, like the POIs, it started to look too cluttered. The question then becomes where do you draw the line? Do you include Waterfront, St. Clair, and Spadina, but exclude King, Queen, etc? Or do you include all streetcar lines but exclude buses? Or do you just try and cram every connection on there?

My criteria would be having a ROW for the entire length. So St. Clair, Spadina, Harbourfront and QQ get mentioned but not Queen, King, Dundas, College, etc. However I'm afraid of sparking UT debate #19832 on what is rapid transit. I agree that listing every bus and surface connection would make it too cluttered.

That's a good point too. For accessibility, I just went by what it is right now, although in retrospect I could have done some research to see the timetable for station accessibility upgrades. Removing them would probably be easiest, or maybe create an icon to show what ISN'T wheelchair accessible, since there will probably be a few stragglers.

Here is the schedule. Only the stations that I mentioned earlier don't have funding earmarked in the capital budget.

I'd just also like to add one other comment that I'm glad you've dropped the ridiculous official name of "Vaughn Metropolitan Centre" and replaced it with "Vaughn Centre".

The question then becomes where do you draw the line? Do you include Waterfront, St. Clair, and Spadina, but exclude King, Queen, etc? Or do you include all streetcar lines but exclude buses? Or do you just try and cram every connection on there?

Haha, those are the questions every Toronto fantasy mapper gets bogged down by. For my map I've been toying with the idea of creating loose classes of modes, where on the main map St Clair, QQ, and Spadina are grouped as plain grey narrow lines - but every other streetcar line omitted. But I'd have a downtown inset below the main map with the entire mixed-traffic streetcar system included, shown with the narrowest line width and lightest colour (white). Don't like how it looks all that much at the moment, so it's still a work in progress.

But altogether I really like how those line maps look. Very sharp, clean, and easy to understand. I particularly like the idea of including neighbourhoods/cities...though I think it might need some tweaking. One that stands out for me is Richmond Hill. I think it should show as Markham for south of Hwy 7, and RH to the north. As well, to prevent confusion perhaps only use municipalities and (former) borough boundaries instead of neighbourhoods?

A few things to note:

Great stuff as always! Reminds me of the linear maps found on some of NYC's new subway cars. Something that should definitely be implemented here to replace the current subway maps, especially with so many new lines under construction.

As for Lakeshore West, I've always thought a station could be used between Oakville and Clarkson at Ford Drive. Huge redevelopment opportunities and perhaps an RER stop there could alleviate congestion at Oakville and Clarkson stations respectively, especially as development inches further north of Dundas in Oakville.

Back