Toronto Wallace Walk Towns | ?m | 4s | The Somerset Group | KFA

Quick Update: Wouldn't give me much details but they just aren't offering it, also the infrastructure won't allow to be added in the future either.

We're pushing them on this. Gas pipes are clearly running through the buildings - in fact right past where kitchen stoves would be. We're finding that their curt responses are starting to get annoying.

In addition to that, we were pretty disappointed with some of the offerings at the finishing appointment. Even if we are willing to pay, they are no longer offering a power outlet in the kitchen island, depending on the colour chosen for hardwood there is NO option to have the wood on the stairs match (!), they won't install certain tile that is intended for both floor and walls in the bathroom onto the bathroom floor (?)...etc. I could go on but I don't want to re-live the frustration of that day.

The earlier comment about these guys cutting corners sounds right. Maybe their inexperience with low rises is starting to show.

The icemaker fridge was $1475.

Generally, the upgrade prices for the appliances were not bad. I would say it would be approximately $300 extra for each upgrade step. So, stove in package #2 was $530 (plus $300 for granite edging), stove in package #3 was $800 (plus $300 for granite) and so forth. The microwave in package #2 was $440, and each subsequent package stepped up by about $200.

The only model codes I was able to write down were for the stoves in package #2 and #3. They are both glasstop slide-in stoves. Stove #2 is Whirlpool model YWEE730H0DS. Stove #3 is Whirlpool model YWEE760H0DS.

There was a gas stove available as one of the options for certain units. I'm a P4, and apparently we couldn't upgrade to it - only certain units were eligible. It was in upgrade package #4, and the designer didn't bother telling me the price because we couldn't have it. Sorry! Unfortunately, there were no induction stove options.

Other upgrade costs that we paid:

Countertop in package #2 (granite): $2400 for a P4 kitchen. Quartz would have cost $3200
Kitchen cabinets in package #2: $2100 for a P4 kitchen
Bifold corner cabinet in the kitchen: $600
Upgraded kitchen cabinet pulls: $475
Deep upper fridge cabinets with gable: $1000
Undermount sink in kitchen: $400 + $200 for granite cutting

Blinds: $525 to ensure all patio / balcony doors are covered. These areas weren't covered in the 'free blinds' offer.
Mirror closet doors (cost per set): $200
Carpet: around $200 / area to upgrade
Cultured marble in the bathroom from package #2: $175 / vanity

I think those are the big ones that most people will likely be interested in. We didn't upgrade any of the tile in the bathrooms, though we did add a border to the shower for $700 (could choose any tile / stone, it would all be the same cost).

Let me know if anyone else has any other questions!

We had our finishing appointment on the weekend and something appears to be wrong. For the same stove models you listed we were provided with different and higher prices!

Stove package 2: Whirlpool model YWEE730H0DS

Your pricing:$530 (plus $300 for granite edging)
Ours: $1450 plus $350)

Stove Package 3: Whirlpool model YWEE760H0DS
Your pricing: $800 (plus $300 for granite)
Ours: $1500 + $350

I've uploaded the pictures I took of the prices. This sounds dumb to ask, but your prices as listed are correct. Because if not, there is something very bad going on here.

Pkg 2.JPG
pkg3.JPG
We had our finishing appointment on the weekend and something appears to be wrong. For the same stove models you listed we were provided with different and higher prices!

Stove package 2: Whirlpool model YWEE730H0DS

Your pricing:$530 (plus $300 for granite edging)
Ours: $1450 plus $350)

Stove Package 3: Whirlpool model YWEE760H0DS
Your pricing: $800 (plus $300 for granite)
Ours: $1500 + $350

I've uploaded the pictures I took of the prices. This sounds dumb to ask, but your prices as listed are correct. Because if not, there is something very bad going on here.

Attachments

• Pkg 2.JPG
    Pkg 2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 970
  • pkg3.JPG
    pkg3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 982
Wally - we had the same pricing for the packages as you did. Looks like crazy peaches was quoted just the difference in cost.... Then the builder thought hey why not just screw with people and charge them full price completely negating the fact that we already paid for the standard appliances. This is pretty evident by the whiting out of the original prices. That's disgusting.

Wally - we had the same pricing for the packages as you did. Looks like crazy peaches was quoted just the difference in cost.... Then the builder thought hey why not just screw with people and charge them full price completely negating the fact that we already paid for the standard appliances. This is pretty evident by the whiting out of the original prices. That's disgusting.

Unfortunately, it really does look like I was only quoted and charged the difference in cost. The whiting out definitely seems to support that.

When I get home from work today, I'll check out the cost sheet I was given as a record of what we bought and upload it here so everyone can check it out.

I was able to find a picture I took of the cost of the stove in Upgrade Package 2 (Model # YWEE730H0DS). This is what they were charging people as of October 20, 2014.

Stove - Package 2.jpg

Attachments

• Stove - Package 2.jpg
    Stove - Package 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,279
This is ridiculous! How can they charge some people one price and others another price for the same thing? We would of considered the stove upgrades with your pricing.

This is ridiculous! How can they charge some people one price and others another price for the same thing? We would of considered the stove upgrades with your pricing.

Wow, although I did not purchase a unit here I've been following the conversation regarding the upgrade prices. That is really terrible that the developer would do that! How could they charge some residents one price, and then another a completely different one for the SAME product. For cabinetry or counter finishes I can see why, since often times the amount of material required in one unit vs another might be different. But for the SAME appliances that is ridiculous.

I came across this post years ago when I was also in the same stage of selecting upgrades, and have tried this following approach with the developer:

My experiences, I did this three times and it worked out well for me each time. First, prices vary wildly based on builder markups, quality of products, size of suite etc etc.
Negotiate a take-back credit of appliances that they supply, you can upgrade the appliances on your own via Appliance Canada and do far better. If you have the means, always upgrade hardwood/carpet, tiles and cabinets to the best that you can afford. You'll get the enjoyment out of them and when (if) you sell, your suite shows better and you can command a higher price than comparative suites. Stay with neutral coloured tiles, cabinets and carpets, not everyone will like your decorating choices. If you definitely plan to settle there for a long time, go crazy.

- via dt_toronto_geek

Perhaps read through the rest of the thread and see if there are other ways you can minimize the cost of upgrades by deciding on what things you can do yourself: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/5593-Condo-Upgrade-Costs

Good luck!

Wow, although I did not purchase a unit here I've been following the conversation regarding the upgrade prices. That is really terrible that the developer would do that! How could they charge some residents one price, and then another a completely different one for the SAME product. For cabinetry or counter finishes I can see why, since often times the amount of material required in one unit vs another might be different. But for the SAME appliances that is ridiculous.

Agreed. It makes sense for pricing to vary when the types and amount of materials vary depending on choice and unit size. But when the price of the exact SAME appliance is different depending on the date that a purchaser's finishing appointment was booked is unfair. The timing of a buyer's appointment is not a decision made by the buyer or within a buyer's control: Torbel dictates the schedule. It's random good luck if a buyer happened to get a call early enough in the process to benefit from the lower prices (for those who did - good for you!). The message this sends to me is that for anyone else who hasn't yet gone in for your finishing appointment, book it now because the prices may increase again if it hasn't already. If you think the current prices are bad now they could get worse. The developer may come up with some other realization that they suddenly need more $$ and decide to extract it from buyers. The other thing I worry about is what other "shady" practices have or will occur? By the way, I scanned the purchase agreement and it doesn't seem to cover arbitrary and without notice increases in the price of finishes (it does allow for the builder to substitute finishes with comparable materials).

Well it looks like appliance canada is supplying the appliances here based on the logo at the bottom corner of the appliances page? I would maybe contact them and see how much the appliances you want would be if purchased directly from them. Then, I'd try to negotiate a take-back credit from the developer and apply that towards the appliances with AC. They are the supplier, deliverer and likely installer as well for your building. Just a suggestion!

I just read the above posts, and am outraged abou the different prices. I had my finishing appointment on Nov.21, and upgraded the washer and dryer. I paid 1300 for both. Is this the cost that others were charged?

I have consulted a family member about this (ex toronto cop, fraud squad 31yrs). He said that this could constitute a fraud, if the developer is charging different prices for the same product without a vaild reason.

I just read the above posts, and am outraged abou the different prices. I had my finishing appointment on Nov.21, and upgraded the washer and dryer. I paid 1300 for both. Is this the cost that others were charged?

I have consulted a family member about this (ex toronto cop, fraud squad 31yrs). He said that this could constitute a fraud, if the developer is charging different prices for the same product without a vaild reason.

We had out finishing appointment at the end of November and were charged the 1300 for both the washer and dryer. We managed to take a picture of the page highlighting the price and it looks as though it was clearly changed by the obvious use of white-out. I've posted the pic below. I think its totally unfair that some buyers are charged a cheaper price simply because they were called first for their finishing appointment. I would say this is price discrimination. We are definitely going to be getting our lawyers advice on this one.

Maybe we called back after seeing the posts here and asked if/why the prices were changed and the answer we got was that they were changed October 23, but no reasoning provided.

Perhaps someone who had their finishing appointment before this date can confirm the price they paid for the washer and dryer upgrade if they chose it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 614
We were also being charged 1300 to upgrade the washer and dryer. Our appointment was mid November. Considering the ridiculous prices we opted to not upgrade the appliances with the builder. We will do it ourselves.

Also was anyone able to get a straight answer as to the width for a fridge in the P4 units? Hoping it's more then 30 inches....

We had out finishing appointment at the end of November and were charged the 1300 for both the washer and dryer. We managed to take a picture of the page highlighting the price and it looks as though it was clearly changed by the obvious use of white-out. I've posted the pic below. I think its totally unfair that some buyers are charged a cheaper price simply because they were called first for their finishing appointment. I would say this is price discrimination. We are definitely going to be getting our lawyers advice on this one.

Maybe we called back after seeing the posts here and asked if/why the prices were changed and the answer we got was that they were changed October 23, but no reasoning provided.

Perhaps someone who had their finishing appointment before this date can confirm the price they paid for the washer and dryer upgrade if they chose it.

what unit did you purchase? I am in P3 in Block H.

did anyone upgrade to the "rain" showerhead?

Wow, this is shady indeed, I don't remember the exact date of my appointment but I had the white out prices.

I did ask if I can credit the appliances and upgrade my self or for tier pricing discounts, nothing was offered pretty much go the "Deal with it" attitude that everybody else got.

Also, for the rain shower head, I am pretty sure they are not adding any new plumbing (so it won't "rain" from your roof top), I believe is one of the simple ones:

contemporary-showers.jpg

Those are incredibly easy to put in yourself, and i think they are charging 800+ for one and i think they go for 90 dollar.

Now though, i am making a big assumption which is that being this a new construction the height of the shower head is higher than older houses. It is best for a rainfall showerhead to be at a good height for obvious reason. (I never bothered to ask because at that point i wasn't in a good mood hahaha but if you waint a rainfall shower head ask , is like at the last page of the plumbing, and it does had a Trimming charge, which i really didn't care to read about any more hidden costs :p)

Is up to you :)

I'll check my upgrade prices when i get home and post them here, maybe if we work together on researching the law we can get this straighten out.

Attachments

• contemporary-showers.jpg
    contemporary-showers.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:

Back