News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 189     2 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 394     0 

Condo Upgrade Costs

My experiences, I did this three times and it worked out well for me each time. First, prices vary wildly based on builder markups, quality of products, size of suite etc etc.
Negotiate a take-back credit of appliances that they supply, you can upgrade the appliances on your own via Appliance Canada and do far better. If you have the means, always upgrade hardwood/carpet, tiles and cabinets to the best that you can afford. You'll get the enjoyment out of them and when (if) you sell, your suite shows better and you can command a higher price than comparative suites. Stay with neutral coloured tiles, cabinets and carpets, not everyone will like your decorating choices. If you definitely plan to settle there for a long time, go crazy.

Try upgrading from carpet to hardwood and ceramics, as it looks better, and is currently a desirable feature. It's also easier to maintain. In terms of costs, it can sometimes be cheaper to hire contractors to do installation rather than the developer.

Tried that. City code prevents a developer from turning over a condo with unfinished floors, unless that has changed in the past 4 years.
I prefer carpet but hardwood floors are definitely preferable over carpet by the general market and for health reasons. I still see some projects where carpet is spec'd for the bedrooms.

Upgrade costs can add up to more than $7,000. Higher quality efficient appliances, flooring, kitchen upgrades, bathroom upgrades and other things can take you over $20,000. I've seen higher quality wood flooring for a 750 square foot space running to almost $8,000. It all depends on how far you want to go with things.

I'd imagine that these things can also depend on the developer, and what they offer for upgrades. And as dt_toronto_geek has pointed out, prices can vary considerably.

Back