Toronto Wallace Walk Towns | ?m | 4s | The Somerset Group | KFA

Black brick is quite common in terms of New Modernist architecture. One sees it in the King East area, Fort York, and in new infill along old Toronto avenues like Queen Street. The new 11 Division police station nearby has black brick. People may find it boring in larger quantities. It's not red brick that I want, but variation. There is indeed lot of red brick among the older buildings in the neighbourhood, but the tones change from facade to facade with the occasional yellow or brown brick facade. Sometimes there's a mix of colours, or the beauty of polychromatic brickwork--an architectural idea that I'd love to see adopted into contemporary architecture in a modern way. I didn't see yellow brick facades facing the paths in the latest renderings of this project. There are the old renderings of yellow brick facades facing the street and the newer ones with black brick facades. The yellow in the earlier renderings logically continued to the backs of the buildings.

Biked by today to see they had a tent sale. Decided to check it out.

The pricing looks pretty affordable for the area, and the units, for the most part look to have decent layouts. Although, their "Patio Series" seem to have you living in a basement. All windows for those P-Series, minus the patio doors look extremely tiny.

i assume those townhouses have no windows at the back? only fronting windows? i wonder how the floor plans looks like. how many of the towns they are going to build?
as speaking of black bricks, i think they are modern now but i agree, that it does not match to the area. the developer should have paid more attention to details around the area to match the similarities to townhouses.

its actually 2-3 units to each of those "townhomes", with another set facing the other way on these. a cross between a townhome and a condo if you will.

i assume those townhouses have no windows at the back? only fronting windows? i wonder how the floor plans looks like. how many of the towns they are going to build?
as speaking of black bricks, i think they are modern now but i agree, that it does not match to the area. the developer should have paid more attention to details around the area to match the similarities to townhouses.

It's basically garbage. What you are buying is an overpriced "townhome" with no backyard whatsoever and a little "patio" area in the front. This is how developers are maximizing their profits. Gone are the days when developers built townhomes that were actual townhomes. Now all townhomes, from Tridel's Metrogate development...

IMG_1162.jpg

To Concord Adex's Discovery development (mind you these townhomes are over $600,000)...

6414398003_ae0c6aa6fc_b.jpg

To Edilcan's One Valhalla townhomes...

DSC_12124147.JPG

are basically the same - 3 stories of nothingness. Parking underground, only front windows, small patio in the front, small rooms and disgustingly overpriced.

It's a frightening trend. Residents are living in townhomes that have only frontal windows, which means you are living in total darkness. It's poor planning shoving these townhomes in the podiums of condos, but why not says the developer because it means more $$$.

It's basically garbage. What you are buying is an overpriced "townhome" with no backyard whatsoever and a little "patio" area in the front. This is how developers are maximizing their profits. Gone are the days when developers built townhomes that were actual townhomes. Now all townhomes, from Tridel's Metrogate development...

To Concord Adex's Discovery development (mind you these townhomes are over $600,000)...

are basically the same - 3 stories of nothingness. Parking underground, only front windows, small patio in the front, small rooms and disgustingly overpriced.

It's a frightening trend. Residents are living in townhomes that have only frontal windows, which means you are living in total darkness. It's poor planning shoving these townhomes in the podiums of condos, but why not says the developer because it means more $$$.

Right, that is what I thought the same. They should not refer to "townhouses". By defining townhouses, it would be known as having backyard and both back and front windows sides. Those only fronting windows should be called city towns or condo towns or even "dark towns"! The society we live today highly fetishlike, where the difference between the "real town homes" and the "so-called town homes" are highly blurred to a point where we can no longer recognize the real town homes, and we are absolutely incapable of describing it. I agree that these are one of the excuses the developers are putting two townhouses, at front and the back with separate entrances to maximize profits, which I find them ridiculously overpriced and have no meaning of living. It is a prison living! As I noted, much of the “dark towns†are coming along, into Dwell City Towns by Menkes, W&E by cityzen/fernbrook homes, and another one for sure, on proposed 1040 Islington Avenue by Mantella Corporation… unbelievable!

IMG_1162.jpg

6414398003_ae0c6aa6fc_b.jpg

DSC_12124147.JPG

I'm pretty sure they are "stacked townhouses" which is not a new concept. Given the current trend of tiny downtown condos with no living space or outdoor access, this project is quite appealing.

I'm pretty sure they are "stacked townhouses" which is not a new concept. Given the current trend of tiny downtown condos with no living space or outdoor access, this project is quite appealing.

How is it a "quite appealing"? For short term could be but for long term nope. Stacked are missing features and looks one of another slums especially if you see as long term.

3 November 2012: Sales centre looked intensely busy this afternoon. Later, the cleaning staff were busy cleaning up the mess the brokers, agents & customers seem to make at these openings.

It's not awful, but the details--as seems to be the norm for these sort of TH--will no doubt disappoint.

20121103153513.jpg

Care to elaborate on the "mess" you are talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in over the weekend to chat with them, I own a unit across the street in "brownstones on wallace" as an investment and wanted to get info/prices.

The biggest issue I had was they are back to back, so windows are only on one side of property, my Wallace property has front/back windows. A two bedroom ranged from $420-$450 if they were multi level, layouts and finishes are nice and well thought out. Prices though, did seem high but they said they were approx 80% sold so what do I know.

There will be a block of commercial with this property along the rail road tracks as well as a "community centre" on the north side of the property. The centre looked small and apparently will be open to entire community not just for this development so not sure what will be the use. The commercial level will be two levels, and only a few have been leased so far, convince store, dry cleaners and flower shop. They said as project moves on they will be looking to add walk-in/family Dr and a dentist.

Back