Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

So would that indicate that the roof or smokejacks are going to be installed soon?

I guess so. If I recall correctly, the smokejacks had to be installed prior to the wood decking, as there was a shelf on the top edge that the wood sat on.

I'm a little bit surprised that they haven't painted the steelwork first, though.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not sure if this is the thread this question makes most sense on, but did the whole electrification clearance in the shed thing get figured out, or is everyone still deep in "oh crap" mode?

Not sure if this is the thread this question makes most sense on, but did the whole electrification clearance in the shed thing get figured out, or is everyone still deep in "oh crap" mode?
As far as I can tell it was figured out at the beginning of the project and the sudden alarms about it were completely made up BS.

So would that indicate that the roof or smokejacks are going to be installed soon?
Not necessarily. They could be doing it a year in advance simply because they have those brackets and the work crews have spare time.

Yeah, it's figured out. Someone not very knowledgeable went "centenary might not fit" and Metrolinx agreed that it wouldn't fit. The journalist took that statement as "doomed project" rather than "yeah, nobody does that in tight spaces you silly journalist; several other options are available".

Running centenary inside stations is actually kinda unusual; even new and seemingly spacious stations like Berlin's Central station don't. Overhead fixed rail which is effectively an electrified beam (very similar to 3rd rail but overhead) is more common. We even use overhead fixed rail in Toronto (Queens Quay and Spadina Tunnels, under bridges on King) and will install a whole bunch for Eglinton LRT.

Simply incredible.

If only this revitalization had also planned and allocated for additional tracks below the station to expand capacity, kidding (well only a little)

I think when Metrolinx costed out building tracks under Union Station for Smarttrack it came to $900 million. Sadly this isn't part of the current plan. I wonder how much cheaper it would have been if the work was being done now. (Source: page 51 of the Smarttrack business case)

I think when Metrolinx costed out building tracks under Union Station for Smarttrack it came to $900 million. Sadly this isn't part of the current plan. I wonder how much cheaper it would have been if the work was being done now. (Source: page 51 of the Smarttrack business case)
I think the eventual solution is *not* Union, but other alignments to spread the load. The rough-in under TTC Yonge/Queen Street is still there, and ostensibly, in never-never land, the CP Mid-Town will also become passenger again, and Summerhill a happening hub. It's time to realize Union is maxed out, and the money spent denying that is better spent elsewhere, like running SomewhatSmartTrack/RER under Queen from the western mainline leg to the eastern, and up Weston Sub and Don Valley subs included.

Looking at those pics of underpinning in Union's present basement renos....errrr....you can only go so far before you run out of engineering heroism to make it work. Grand Central in NYC went 150 ft. down in tunnels for East Side Access...and very serious questions are being asked as to if it will ever be worth it...

Another level below.

There is also a basement being dug underneath VIA, too, so a fairly large shopping mall will suddenly appear by 2019 (ish.). Small York sections will open gradually 2017 probably, and the whole new Union basement be a bustling booming place in the mid 2020s.

I had a better look today. From what I could tell, the existing concourse is just being lowered to the TTC level which will make the ceilings about 5 ft higher. There isn't room to insert another floor. Below the concourse, there will be a new basement level but the concourse will be the same, just with a lowered floor which will give it mucher higher ceilings. It's going to very airy in there.

These windows and the new doors below them will open into the same tall room.

urbantoronto-1230-3701.jpg

I had a better look today. From what I could tell, the existing concourse is just being lowered to the TTC level which will make the ceilings about 5 ft higher. There isn't room to insert another floor. Below the concourse, there will be a new basement level but the concourse will be the same, just with a lowered floor which will give it mucher higher ceilings. It's going to very airy in there.

These windows and the new doors below them will open into the same tall room.
OK! For the first time, I grasp the concept. The doorways below the windows are opening up vertically into the same space. The elevated walkway still doesn't appear to have a practical purpose though. Anyone figure that one out?

Maybe those walkways will correspond to a loft/catwalk inside. They still don't make any sense in this drawing. The canopy's H pillars interrupt the walkway and there aren't any doors to access it, only windows.

There was a newer drawing circulating. Maybe it'll clarify.

Maybe those walkways will correspond to a loft/catwalk inside. They still don't make any sense in this drawing. The canopy's H pillars interrupt the walkway and there aren't any doors to access it, only windows.
That makes good sense on closer observation. You're right about the H pillars. That 'walkway' in fact isn't. It's a series of balconies, ostensibly to watch for arriving contacts, or spying on the proletariate! Access to the 'balcony' has to be from the other side, possibly a corresponding access walkway. Steps to each balcony would foul movement.

A note of reality: If the canopy (which looks incredible) is glass paned...errr...how tough can they make that? If something heavy were to be tossed onto there from the sidewalk above and immediately to the north, it would be catastrophic. Ostensibly the heaviest accumulation of snow X a co-efficient would be a starting point, but what strength would be needed to satisfy the needs of safety for those below?

Edit: OMG! And (dare I raise this?) Bomb proof?
Blast resistant glass
Article Summary
Toughened glass
Toughened (fully heat tempered) glass provides a degree of safety but not complete security and is therefore not recommended for external window or door use.

It can, however, resist high blast pressures without damage provided it is well supported in a strong and rigid frame. When it does break its fragments cause fewer injuries than plain glass shards. When used on its own it should have anti-shatter film applied.
[...continues at length...]
http://www.cpni.gov.uk/advice/Physical-security/ebp/Blast-resistant-glass/

About the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure
The Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI) protects national security by providing protective security advice. Protective security is 'putting in place, or building into design, security measures or protocols such that threats may be deterred, detected, or the consequences of an attack minimised'.

We provide advice on physical security, personnel security and cyber security/information assurance. Most importantly, we explain how these components combine together and reinforce each other - and their relationship to the threat. CPNI's protective security advice is built on a combination of things including:

• what science tells us (our research and development programme)
  • our understanding of the national security threat
  • our experience and expertise
  • effective relationships with private and public sector partners
  • policy considerations.
We prioritise to whom we give advice through various mechanisms for example a sector approach for national infrastructure, a criticality scale and CONTEST Protect's seven current themes for counter terrorism.

Pages in this section
CPNI in context
bullet_arrow.gif

Policy considerations are one of the building blocks for CPNI's protective security advice. There are various Government policies which impact our work.

puzzle-pieces.jpg

The national infrastructure
bullet_arrow.gif

The UK's national infrastructure is defined by the Government as: “Those critical elements of infrastructure (namely assets, facilities, systems, networks or processes and the essential workers that operate and facilitate them), the loss or compromise of which could result in:

a) major detrimental impact on the availability, integrity or delivery of essential services – including those services, whose integrity, if compromised, could result in significant loss of life or casualties – taking into account significant economic or social impacts; and/or

b) significant impact on national security, national defence, or the functioning of the state”.

aeroplane-takeoff.jpg

Who we work with
bullet_arrow.gif

CPNI has effective relationships with private and public sector partners. We work in close collaboration with some key partners such as the National Technical Authority for Information Assurance (CESG) and the police - National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO) and the Counter Terrorism Security Advisor (CTSA) network.
http://www.cpni.gov.uk/about/

Last edited:
Sorry, you're both mixed up about that. It is a walkway, not a series of balconies: at walkway level, those are windows through the wall, not doors.

The walkway will connect regular moat level west of the TTC-Union connection (Front Street Centre Moat as per below) with the regular moat level along the Bay Street side of the building. For those walking from one side to the other and not eating to descend stairs on one side and ascend again at the other end, they can also avoid the flow moving between the train station and the subway station. The walkway has shown up on all three versions of the station maps that I have posted over time. You can see it again in the image below:

DigDown.jpg

You can also see the area above where the Bay Concourse will be double height. (It's more than 5 feet deeper than guessed above -it's around 7 to 8 feet deeper. That area is essentially the section labelled 'Bay Street Promenade'. It will look like this, below, looking west from the doors from the Bay Teamway. In the right background, you can see the doors from Union TTC and the windows above.

BayPromW1280.jpg

Attachments

• DigDown.jpg
    DigDown.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,123
  • BayPromW1280.jpg
    BayPromW1280.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Sorry, you're both mixed up about that. It is a walkway, not a series of balconies: at walkway level, those are windows through the wall, not doors.

The walkway will connect regular moat level west of the TTC-Union connection (Front Street Centre Moat as per below) with the regular moat level along the Bay Street side of the building. For those walking from one side to the other and not eating to descend stairs on one side and ascend again at the other end, they can also avoid the flow moving between the train station and the subway station. The walkway has shown up on all three versions of the station maps that I have posted over time. You can see it again in the image below:

View attachment 85250

You can also see the area above where the Bay Concourse will be double height. (It's more than 5 feet deeper than guessed above -it's around 7 to 8 feet deeper. That area is essentially the section labelled 'Bay Street Promenade'. It will look like this, below, looking west from the doors from the Bay Teamway. In the right background, you can see the doors from Union TTC and the windows above.

View attachment 85251

What an incredible improvement over the stuffy low ceiling concourse. I almost want to cry.

Exactly, this is what I was trying to desribe. This is the "pedestrian expressway" I meant to describe.

But the real Bay Concourse (with the stairs to tracks) is still above this "mall level".

You can also see where the 20 sets of doors are (about 10 openings, with 20 doors) from the moat.

interchange42 is just confirming what I said about two levels -- with the good diagram of the lower indoor level. There's another diagram (not on this thread page) of the upper level which is the Bay Concourse with the stairs to the tracks. It is a near carbon copy of the York concourse directly above the pedestrian expressway area of the mall level pictured in interchange42's post.

Last edited:

Back