Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I totally agree with you there. The fact the kiosks are only appearing now (were not even planned for) is indeed laughable.

The issue to me isn't closure of the Bay Concourse (which frankly should have been closed in late 2014 if York hadn't been delayed) - it is the inability to coordinate the various elements that would make the transition work as smoothly as possible that gets me (e.g. the moat, lack of creature comforts).

BTW, thanks for the great interior pics - makes you wonder why the powers that be couldn't have provided the kind of update you have given us.

AoD

Blitz? Of all the times a law enforcer has found me drinking in public, the only time I got a ticket was on the train courtesy of young and overzealous transit cops. If you're worried about enforcement of our ridiculous liquor laws, go bother the TPS, because in my experience, they don't really give a (insert choice word here). They're sort of like VPD enforcing drug laws in Vancouver.
In any case, to hell with your Victorian moral code-induced blitzes.

I am guessing, then, that your experience does not include TFC matches, particularly in the first 2 or 3 years, where TPS spent a lot of time and energy ticketing folks in and around Liberty Village pre and post match.....now you hardly ever see people trying to get away with public consumption of alcohol......and when you do it is usually in the GO tunnel/station....and the transit cops have picked up from TPS there.... They sent their message and it worked.

[...] makes you wonder why the powers that be couldn't have provided the kind of update you have given us.

I have no idea! It makes me frustrated that the PR regarding this project is a total nightmare. It seems to me the city is doing its best to keep this a secret. Honestly a shame! The taxpayers funding this and the commuters enduring the years of construction want to see this. They should see this. Good PR goes a long way toward influencing public opinion. This place speaks for its self.

The scale of this project is remarkable! Pictures truly do no justice to the vast size of the space added under the concourse level. The height of the ceiling is at least 4m. The dimensions are approximately 200m x 200m. The large square columns are approximately 1m in width. The large circular columns are approximately 2m in diameter. When you are in there understanding that there is a 100 year old operating train station over your head it seems impossible. Truly incredible!

Right now it totally reminds me of of the Basilica Cistern (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern) that lies under Istanbul. I am sure this cavernous feeling will change once interior wall go up, however, all said and done it will still be a very impressive transformation.

Two thumbs up to NORR on this one.

I have no idea! It makes me frustrated that the PR regarding this project is a total nightmare. It seems to me the city is doing its best to keep this a secret. Honestly a shame! The taxpayers funding this and the commuters enduring the years of construction want to see this. They should see this. Good PR goes a long way toward influencing public opinion. This place speaks for its self.

The scale of this project is remarkable! Pictures truly do no justice to the vast size of the space added under the concourse level. The height of the ceiling is at least 4m. The dimensions are approximately 200m x 200m. The large square columns are approximately 1m in width. The large circular columns are approximately 2m in diameter. When you are in there understanding that there is a 100 year old operating train station over your head it seems impossible. Truly incredible!

Right now it totally reminds me of of the Basilica Cistern (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern) that lies under Istanbul. I am sure this cavernous feeling will change once interior wall go up, however, all said and done it will still be a very impressive transformation.

Two thumbs up to NORR on this one.

Any chance that they'd let you take some video next time?

Any chance that they'd let you take some video next time?
Is there anything you would like to see specifically? I can try to grab specific points of interest next time. My apologies for the terrible quality. I need a better camera! This is all I have to date:

Is there anything you would like to see specifically? I can try to grab specific points of interest next time. My apologies for the terrible quality. I need a better camera! This is all I have to date:

Thanks! These are great. The scale/scope of the excavation under the station is what I'm most interested it, buy any videos are great. I really wish the city had done a video log/documentary of the whole process.

To the powers that be: The new signage in Union is lacking in terms of standards. The new overhead signs need to be uniform in design.
  • What is the logic behind having the visual aides (GO logo & train pictogram) to the left of the text on one sign, and to the right of the text in the other?

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 5.14.38 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 5.14.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 5.14.38 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,228
To send a link for a particular post, copy the link from the post's number in the upper right corner, For example, if you were to click on #2451 you would end up with http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...ity-of-to-u-c-norr.4308/page-164#post-1032777

Yes, but how do you do that for a legacy post (pre-forum-upgraded) that is hidden in an unknown page number somewhere between page 2 and page 163?

For example, how do I convert http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-station-building-revitalization-city-of-to-u-c-norr.4308/#post994920
into the new URL format? It's a link that I tweeted several months ago. The link is now broken & I spent 20 minutes trying to find the updated URL.

As you can see, GO Transit complimented on the suggestions, so it's a very useful URL to keep permanent.

That old link just now jumps to page #1 ever since the forum software got upgraded. And it's more than 300+ posts ago, so it's hard to find in my post history list. All old UrbanToronto forum links I've ever tweeted or posted elsewhere (in a different forum), are all broken. I've since found alternate URLs, but this one has been stubbornly difficult to track down as it doesn't have very unique post keywords in several search attempts. I spent 20 minutes trying to hunt the original post down (sigh), as it includes a unique photoshopped photo (custom wayfinding suggestions) that I created that I no longer have the original copy for.

Last edited:
Ah, now I understand.

Yes, the URLs changing was un unfortunate consequence of the UT Forum upgrade.

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you.

I am guessing, then, that your experience does not include TFC matches, particularly in the first 2 or 3 years....
Never been bit outside a match...or even inside where we smuggle our brandy into.
Only ever gotten three reactions from TPS: complete lack of caring, being told to put it away, and being told to pour it out. Even with that, the first two largely outnumber the last by orders of magnitude. I <3 TPS.

Perhaps this is a difference between the discretion of individuals? Or perhaps people of some ages or races are treated differently by TPS than others.

I'm kinda white, so I suppose...but I'm kind of young, so that one doesn't hold. I think it's mostly to do with not being an obnoxious drunk. If I'm not acting like a drunken boor, then where is the problem?
Anyway, this is horribly off topic...my apologies. Adieu.

Ah, now I understand.

Yes, the URLs changing was un unfortunate consequence of the UT Forum upgrade.

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you.

Its likely impossible - as it needs to know the page the post is on to work with the new form. Dunno why they would design it like that.

Back