Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Appropriate. Commuters are the ones getting railroaded here. I agree with Alvin 100%. The delay in closing the Bay concourse highlights how un-ready the York concourse was when it opened. People got a couple of months' reprieve - imagine if the Bay concourse had closed in the spring as planned and having no food outlets for several months.
I thought their name had more to do with being in a rail station and serving people using the railroad....see what you learn on UT ;)

P.S. I agree that it is a bit shocking that, either, York Concourse opened without services or that Bay Concourse had to close immediately after the Pan Ams.

or that Bay Concourse had to close immediately after the Pan Ams.

I agree that services are lacking right now, but from a construction perspective, the building has been ready for work to proceed for some time now.

Personally I would not agree with further delays to the already delayed timetable so that creature comforts could be maintained. It is already remarkable that the station has been able to remain open for its primary function, a transit hub, throughout the project. In short time services will begin to open as leases are signed and tenants take possession. The retail spaces north of the York concourse are very close to complete and, if I am not mistaken, on the concourse itself McDonalds, Booster Juice, and INS Market have already taken possession and begun internal outfitting.

I would anticipate the next "wave" of completed areas being the north moat including the retail north of York concourse, followed shortly by the retail under the York and VIA concourses. Understandably it will take time for restaurants and stores to start populating these areas, but, the end is near my friends, there IS a light at the end of this tunnel.

On the other hand: I definitely agree with everyone that it is very inconvenient to the actual users of the station. I just want to remind everyone that it is temporary.

On the other hand: I definitely agree with everyone that it is very inconvenient to the actual users of the station. I just want to remind everyone that it is temporary.
sure....but the primary purpose of the station is to serve people....and, creature comforts or not, people want (perhaps even think they need) those services.

I was not advocating further delays....just criticizing the combined effect of not having any retail (even kiosks) in the York concourse months after it opened (late April wasn't it) and, yet, closing the Bay side immediately after the games ended. The speed at which kiosks are now appearing once the complaints rolled in points to it just being either/both a lack of understanding their customers or a lack of planning.

I was not advocating further delays....just criticizing the combined effect of not having any retail (even kiosks) in the York concourse months after it opened (late April wasn't it) and, yet, closing the Bay side immediately after the games ended. The speed at which kiosks are now appearing once the complaints rolled in points to it just being either/both a lack of understanding their customers or a lack of planning.

I totally agree with you there. The fact the kiosks are only appearing now (were not even planned for) is indeed laughable.

Agreed. There needs to be a fare and booze-checking blitz on trains arriving before evening games with actual penalties for offenders. Currently they know there's almost no checking so it's open season, or should I say open bar.

As an avid train boozer I disagree, though I I do prepare my Friday night traveler before boarding in a discrete water bottle, and dispose of it properly. It always puzzles me when I find discarded empty glass bottles aboard. Like did someone really bring a 6-pack with them, chug it, and dump the empties on the chairs?

Then there was that time I encountered a whacked out party doing lines of coke off the seats. On the up side, they at least shared...

Blitz? Of all the times a law enforcer has found me drinking in public, the only time I got a ticket was on the train courtesy of young and overzealous transit cops. If you're worried about enforcement of our ridiculous liquor laws, go bother the TPS, because in my experience, they don't really give a (insert choice word here). They're sort of like VPD enforcing drug laws in Vancouver.
In any case, to hell with your Victorian moral code-induced blitzes.

I remember last year GO Transit Enforcement was really heavy on blitzing pre-game trains. Can't say that I've seen too much of that this year.

I bought a croissant from Railroad Coffee this morning. They had the three standard choices: plain, almond, and chocolate. I picked plain. It was $2.00 +GST. For that price I expected a fresh, tasty croissant.

Unfortunately it was soggy, not crispy on the outside; and it was moderately dense and mushy in the middle, not flaky and airy.That being said, I could taste that it was a properly made croissant: buttery inside, not greasy and oily. The problem was only that it had been sitting in the display case for several days. At $2.00 that was a disappointment as it was only marginally better than what you get buying a package of 6 at Longo's for $3.50.

Perhaps as business picks up they will more quickly replenish stock with freshly baked croissant. If it does pick up they also need to get a second cash terminal. It was already an annoying delay this morning with just one available and only a few people in line.

Last edited:

Back