Toronto The Mercer | 111.55m | 33s | Beaverhall | BBB

I agree, although perhaps the Walk of Fame will bring people to that park.

A good case could be made that John St (not Yonge St) is the centre of downtown Toronto. However, I don't think our politicians have really thought about what a "string of pearls" John is and how to better the street. Honestly, I think even pedestrianization should be an option studied at some point in the future.

Does anyone really care about the Walk of Fame? Why not relocate it to another City-owned property - the rear of the L Tower, under the heel of the boot?

Darkstar - you're absolutely right. John Street really is the backbone of Toronto, and calling it a string of pearls sums up just how lush it is with attractions/centres of interest. Perhaps there should be more focus on this one street during events like Luminato. The street could be shut down to traffic in the later evening, with events happening on the street.

How about shutting John Street down to traffic... permanently... just from Richmond to Adelaide. A tiny pedestrian oasis filled with food, bars, movies, books.

Businesses could easily be serviced via Nelson, Widmer, Richmond and Adelaide... and there's 2-way traffic on Peter and Duncan so hardly a gridlock issue.

I'll bet the firehall would kill this idea.

Sounds good, but yes the TFD would probably kill the idea.

John Street used to be shut down on the Friday of NXNE for the "John Street Jam." Pedestrianization really seemed to fit that street and I can't say I noticed any traffic problems. However, I don't think they've done it though in about eight years.

I'd like to see John Street shut down from Adelaide to Queen. It could be accomplished by installing hydraulic bollards, which would be lowered into the street automatically by the emergency vehicles were they to need to access the street. They have these things all over Europe, well, civilized parts of it.

That's an outstanding idea, interchange. Actually, they could even use that approach to close the street (and others) on weekends or evenings, but remain open during the week. They could also open to provide access for deliveries.

I'd like to see John Street shut down from Adelaide to Queen. It could be accomplished by installing hydraulic bollards, which would be lowered into the street automatically by the emergency vehicles were they to need to access the street. They have these things all over Europe, well, civilized parts of it.

I like your idea, but I'm curious - what would you consider uncivilized parts of Europe?

Cabeman - your overhead satellite shot makes me think that it would better to have the point tower at the west end of this project. With it on the east there will be a point of congestion building-wise, with Metro Hall directly to the east, the Jefferson directly to the south, and the Festival Tower across the King Street low rises to the north. Move this tower to the west side, and you create a pocket of light in the middle of these buildings, and more distant (and private) views for everyone.

I agree with your point of view, but I think it relates more to the perspective of a potential owner/occupier. If I had the choice as a purchaser I'd prefer to live mid-block on Mercer rather than at the corner on John. I expect though that from the developer's point of view the units will sell either way and it would likely be easier to get approval for 38 storeys at the corner of John St. (given the surrounding buildings) rather than mid-block next to the relatively new Hotel Le Germain at 11 storeys.

I like your idea, but I'm curious - what would you consider uncivilized parts of Europe?

The parts without hydraulic bollards in the streets. Wait wait. That's not specific enough. Hmm. Let's pick on the Danes: Denmark! Crazy crazy Denmark! Wait, they gave the world Legoâ„¢ and some new way of making beds that Trimark seems to believe in. Hmm. Stromboli! Ain't nobody gonna tame that volcano!

I agree with your point of view, but I think it relates more to the perspective of a potential owner/occupier. If I had the choice as a purchaser I'd prefer to live mid-block on Mercer rather than at the corner on John. I expect though that from the developer's point of view the units will sell either way and it would likely be easier to get approval for 38 storeys at the corner of John St. (given the surrounding buildings) rather than mid-block next to the relatively new Hotel Le Germain at 11 storeys.

The only two blocks of John that I would shut down are north of this development - up between Adelaide and Queen. South of Adelaide Festival Tower/Bell Lightbox is going in, and its parking garage will be accessed off John, and Mercer would be too problematic as a dead-end with access only from Blue Jays Way I believe, so that stretch of John needs to stay open to traffic.

The only two blocks of John that I would shut down are north of this development - up between Adelaide and Queen. South of Adelaide Festival Tower/Bell Lightbox is going in, and its parking garage will be accessed off John, and Mercer would be too problematic as a dead-end with access only from Blue Jays Way I believe, so that stretch of John needs to stay open to traffic.

42 ... did you intend to quote someone else when you posted the above comment? (you quoted my comment, but it looks like you were responding to one of the earlier posts about which stretch of John might best be shut down).

Back