Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There are so many example of needless road widenings in Mississauga, like the widening of Dundas to six lanes despite the mandatory four lane sections at Erindale Village and in Cooksville.

And then there are the Peel-owned roads which are the worst because they tend to have 6 lanes and no sidewalks at the same time. They are planning to widen Britannia to 6 lanes where I live, yet everyday I have to deal with the lack of sidewalks on it.

I mentioned this up-thread in my post. We live near each other doady!

As many pointed out, its the Region of Peel Roads that are needlessly wide and predestrian unfriendly.

Mississauga has long advocated that the Regional Roads be transfered to the local municipalities where the mentality and talk is better position towards an urban evironment.

As for this neverland talk that you can take two lanes of roads off Mississauga's major throughfare and hope that traffic will magically disappear with the help of a few road extensions and a dedicated transit line in place of those lanes is unrealistic and stupid.

Please don't even attempt compare Hurontario Street to any road in the city of Toronto because there is nothing like it.

As I pointed out, there is more than enough room BOTH the existing lanes and a new dedicated transit line along Hurontario.

The success of a Hurontario LRT does not depend on reducing the number of lanes for cars. Transit along Hurontario has already proved to be a success with continued yearly ridership growth and most importanly the business case for rapid transit is already in place today.

Louroz

Dundas and Hurontario (both mostly six lanes) are municipal roads, and without looking closely for the flowerpot route markers, it'd be tough to tell. Mavis in Mississauga is also a city road, six lanes like regional roads Erin Mills and Dixie. Only north of the 407 is it Peel Region's responsibility.

There's no difference between Peel and Mississauga roads.

Yes there are.

Try crossing the intersection of Dixie and Dundas.

Also if there is no real difference as you say, why do we need two levels of government responsible for roads?

Louroz

Having numbered "county" roads is stupid in cities. Flowerpot signs are appropriate for rural roads, not city streets. Why can't the region just make the road numbers "internal" (not posted) in urban areas?

I mentioned this up-thread in my post. We live near each other doady!

D'oh! I knew you said it, I forgot to acknowledge it... but yeah we are very close, and I think Tuscani is too...

As many pointed out, its the Region of Peel Roads that are needlessly wide and predestrian unfriendly.

No one said that. I just said that many Peel roads have no sidewalks and are less pedestrian-friendly. Both Mississauga and Peel roads are needlessly wide. The City of Mississauga's mentality is not much different from that of Peel, especially when half of Peel itself is comprised of Mississauga, it is easy to forget that sometimes...

Please don't even attempt compare Hurontario Street to any road in the city of Toronto because there is nothing like it.

Yes, you are right, all corridors in the City of Toronto manage to be denser and be able move many more people than Hurontario and still remain mostly 4 lanes wide. Yes, let's widen Hurontario to twice their width.

The success of a Hurontario LRT does not depend on reducing the number of lanes for cars.

To say that widening Hurontario even more will not have an impact on transit ridership is a quite naive. Smaller roads are more pedestrian friendly, i don't know why argue with this...

Doady:

Agree completely.

Actually, I would love to see some consistancy as to which roads are regional, and which are municipal. While Dixie, Britannia, Derry, Erin Mills and Airport are regional, similar roads, like Hurontario, Dundas, Mavis, Eglinton are municipal. York Region, for example, seems to have control of most of the urbanized sideroads and concessions, while Peel is haphazard.

A six lane Hurontario, plus turn lanes, plus LRT, would be a really wide, out-of-scale roadway. There may be locations where all six through lanes make sense (like the approaches to 403 and 401), but in many places, I just don't see the room for what would effectively be a 8-10 lane wide ROW.

D'oh! I knew you said it, I forgot to acknowledge it... but yeah we are very close, and I think Tuscani is too...

Yea, we went to the same highschool. Im right behind Rona and Mercedes.

As for keeping Hurontario 3 lanes each direction (plus turning lanes), I think thats the mentality we need to avoid if we want to see this city become more pedestrian friendly. Hurontario is already too wide and it should have never been allowed to be widened to the extent it was.

I dont mind LRT running in the centre median outside of the city centre, but the width of Hurontario within the city centre needs to be walkable. The median needs to stay (to break up the width) and LRT should occupy an existing traffic lane.

Doady:
Actually, I would love to see some consistancy as to which roads are regional, and which are municipal. While Dixie, Britannia, Derry, Erin Mills and Airport are regional, similar roads, like Hurontario, Dundas, Mavis, Eglinton are municipal. York Region, for example, seems to have control of most of the urbanized sideroads and concessions, while Peel is haphazard.

That's because Miss. and Brampton were already sizeable (and possibly politically seperated) urban areas before Peel became a region, and counties have no control over roads in seperated municipalities. Southern York County was largely rural when it became a region and so the former county would have already owned the roads.

There's hope for Mississauga.

Warsaw Poland: 8 Lane Downtown Monster. If Warsaw can be urban, so can Mississauga. I think Road widths in this case are of little importance as long as pedestrian accessibility is not compromised.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...9925,21.011964&spn=0.001643,0.004302&t=k&z=18

I agree with you in principle. Road widths are not important if pedestrian accessibility is not compromised, but if you make them too wide then they'll become windswept and intimidating for pedestrians.

If Queen West type retail and restaurants existed on a road like University pedestrians would follow regardless of the width of the road...well, as long it doesn't feel like you're walking through a parking lot, in which case people will start driving instead. But our uber-arterials are almost invariably lined with institutions, office parks, slabby apartments, and generally 'mega' or block long buildings that simply do not and can not generate a trendy pedestrian vibe. Don Mills or Hurontario could get lots more pedestrians through adding sheer numbers of people and jobs, but you'd need to add an incredible amount of people for that to happen.

The current problem with any proposed BRT or LRT on Hurontario, are the asphalt deserts between any proposed stop or station and a mall or office building entrance. If one gets off any vehicle, they have to cross an expanse of asphalt to reach a door to the mall. Now think about the winter we just had, in addition.

Back