Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

If this one comes loaded with some serious retail or other public amenities, it will clearly be the best building in Cityplace. So far it looks really good.

I *think* this says 499 sq. ft of retail. Pretty small. If it is this building it also says a daycare will be at grade too.

And the other CityPlace TCHC project would have been much more impressive... but it was killed off thanks to some greedy, bitter CityPlace residents. Sigh.

And the other CityPlace TCHC project would have been much more impressive... but it was killed off thanks to some greedy, bitter CityPlace residents. Sigh.

Yeah...makes me think that these same people could be a pain in the butt when Signature tower goes up for city approval, but then again it wont be government housing which i think was the problem with Block 36 and the area residents all along. Too bad:mad:

What was that? Was that the one that was supposed to be beside 15 Fort York?

Cityplace is getting more retail.. pharmacy and shawarma in 4K Spadina opening as well as a Fox & Fiddle at 15 Fort York

probably don't like that TCHC buildings will look better than theirs, thus diminish CP's value.
when people go to buy, they will ask their R/E agent about the units at the good looking tower over there ... lol

Block 31 wasn't killed by Cityplace residents. It was never 100% a go. TCHC never had enough money to make it a reality, hence the height increase to 41 storeys. It was determined that even more floors would have been needed in order for it to be profitable to TCHC, and they decided it was no longer feasible to build. In addition to the ever evolving plan for Block 31, the school boards are now frustrated that their schools can't be built until TCHC finds the money to build, and are pressuring TCHC and the city to scrap the plan for public housing, divide the land, allow them to build, and give the rest to a private developer in exchange for financing some of the school's construction.

Some residents in Cityplace were quite vocal about Block 31 because of the height increases, not simply because it was public housing. There was no backlash against Block 32, so public housing wasn't the driving force behind residents concerns. I know my rooftop pool/sun deck would have been permanently in the shadow of the building had it been allowed to proceed as planned. The city looked into shifting the building in order to prevent this, but that plan was no longer needed when TCHC realized it couldn't build this tower anyway.

To be fair, the newer TCHC buildings are really VERY good - look at the new ones at Regent Park and the one on Adelaide East.

Add to this list the building at Mutual and Carlton. Condo owners can be appallingly hypocritical when it's comes to money: I recall a Radio City owner owner complaining to me a meeting about the upcoming Mutual street building and its potential impact on resale, and he was a social housing activist. Tsk tsk.

Pic taken July 10, 2011

BxqgS.jpg

Back