Toronto Sync Lofts Condos | ?m | 8s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

a friend lived in one of streetcars first development on queen east just west of woodbine, and the building was amazing, the finishes weren'tluxury buy any stretch but was well laid out and because they really deal with smaller sized buildings, the community aspect is outstanding. It was a great building and the other tenants made it better. Thats the way development should happen outside of the downtown core. 8-20 units, everyone knows everyone else, makes for a truly intimate living experience.

I think there are very few builders/developers who don't use drywall inside their buildings. My previous condo was built that way (Kings Court) and I never had sound issues. Now live across the street from Printing Factory Lofts and drywall is all that separate those units. Unless you're in a condo that has bare concrete walls as a "design" feature (eg. East Lofts), drywall is what you get.

Actually, while some developers use drywall, most condos built in the last 10 years in Toronto use concrete walls - at least between units. Some won't use them down hallways but some do. Smaller projects tend to use drywall.

I think there are very few builders/developers who don't use drywall inside their buildings. My previous condo was built that way (Kings Court) and I never had sound issues. Now live across the street from Printing Factory Lofts and drywall is all that separate those units. Unless you're in a condo that has bare concrete walls as a "design" feature (eg. East Lofts), drywall is what you get.

I don't think you understand, concrete or cinderblock walls were once a requirement, this has been relaxed and now single stud drywall will suffice.

According to the advertising literature, Sync lofts are "HDTV ready to transform your television into a High definition veiwing experience"...do people really fall for this crap? Are they providing HDTV's to purchasers?

According to the advertising literature, Sync lofts are "HDTV ready to transform your television into a High definition veiwing experience"...do people really fall for this crap? Are they providing HDTV's to purchasers?

lol ... that's too funny.
every resident with cable TV access (even a really strong antennae reception will work ) is HDTV ready as long as you HAVE a HDTV!

It's sales literature like this that makes me avoid Streetcar. While I always tend to like their designs, every showroom I've been in of theirs gives me a bad feeling. 2 Gladstone was the worst. Tiny room, no real concrete info, completely lying to purchasers faces by saying things like "oh the trains aren't much of a bother and there are only like 40 of them a day" when there are going to be 400 by 2015 within 10 metres of the building. I know it's endemic to the industry but it would be so great to have a developer who was just straight up and honest.

Last edited:
It's sales literature like this that makes me avoid Streetcar. While I always tend to like their designs, every showroom I've been in of theirs gives me a bad feeling. 2 Gladstone was the worst. Tiny room, no real concrete info, completely lying to purchasers faces by saying things like "oh the trains aren't much of a bother and there are only like 40 of them a day" when there are going to be 400 be 2015 within 10 metres of the building. I know it's endemic to the industry but it would be so great to have a developer who was just straight up and honest.

next will be "chef ready to transform your kitchen into a 5-star Michelin dining experience"

I don't think you understand, concrete or cinderblock walls were once a requirement, this has been relaxed and now single stud drywall will suffice.

You may be right about the requirements being relaxed, but I would never even consider a unit that used only drywall to separate units. Noise in my family's home and lack of privacy is one of the many reasons I am moving out lol.
Just walking and driving around the city and seeing various constructions sites, it's plainly obvious that the vast majority of developments going up use concrete walls to separate units, and that's the way it should be. I'm not paying $400,000 plus parking to listen to my neighbour laugh at Letterman when I'm trying to sleep at night.

nope, he's not, mostly drywall these days.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that because I've seen the majority of condo construction over the past 5 years and it's plainly obvious that reinforced concrete is separating units, not drywall.

Have you ever tried to hang a painting or picture in a condo? What you often see walking into condos is drywall, but behind that drywall is concrete.

The concrete walls aren't just there for noise purposes; they are load bearing, which reduces the size of support columns. That makes for more desirable layouts, which is why the vast majority of developers are Crazy About Concrete.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree with you , Grey, since I've also seen the majority of condos being built in the past 10 years with concrete columns bearing the load, and single stud drywall partitions seperating the suites.
You tend to make these assertions often, but won't acknowledge when you're clearly wrong, forgive me if I don't take your word as gospel.
I'm aware of the practice of putting drywall over concrete, which was very common when concrete or cinder block were required for fire ratings, but as mentioned, that has changed.

I'm going to have to disagree with you , Grey, since I've also seen the majority of condos being built in the past 10 years with concrete columns bearing the load, and single stud drywall partitions seperating the suites.
You tend to make these assertions often, but won't acknowledge when you're clearly wrong, forgive me if I don't take your word as gospel.
I'm aware of the practice of putting drywall over concrete, which was very common when concrete or cinder block were required for fire ratings, but as mentioned, that has changed.

Did I say 5 years? I meant 15.

I'm willing to wait for a second opinion to weigh in here, if only to destroy your assertion (which you make often) that I make "these" assertions often (I'm terribly sorry if I upset you, former banned member digi, regarding the paint at Hyatt or the fake brick at Glasshouse, but twice does not constitute "often" where I'm from (here)).

Edit: I'll be the first to substantiate my position -- the Corktown development and Edge Lofts (both also by Streetcar) are the only other developments in recent memory where units are separated by drywall rather than concrete or cement blocks. Note the surprise and dismay in that thread regarding this fact.

Last edited:

Back