News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

W.K. - realize that this is Toronto Transportation continuing to veto any decision to put in full transit priority, whether it be on Spadina, St Clair, or the Queensway. TTC Staff have asked, at the very least, to put left-turn signals at the END of the signal cycle, but to my knowledge, Transportation said that it would be a safety hazard, since they're "advance" signals and should come first.

I then think about the very busy intersections where there are left turn signals at the beginning and end of the signal cycle.

It's a BS excuse really... drivers will go when they're allowed to go.

W.K. - realize that this is Toronto Transportation continuing to veto any decision to put in full transit priority, whether it be on Spadina, St Clair, or the Queensway. TTC Staff have asked, at the very least, to put left-turn signals at the END of the signal cycle, but to my knowledge, Transportation said that it would be a safety hazard, since they're "advance" signals and should come first.

I then think about the very busy intersections where there are left turn signals at the beginning and end of the signal cycle.

It's a BS excuse really... drivers will go when they're allowed to go.

My understanding of the process is that Transportation Staff can't "veto" proposals for signal priority. They can only recommend against such proposals when they are presented to the Works (?) Committee. If the committee (councillors) ordered it to happen, it would, but they don't. In other words, if you want priority signals, bug your councillor about it.

I think that Mayor Miller should wake up and have City Council order Toronto Transportation to implement and experiment with transit priority at the traffic lights. Then see what the results would be with the streetcars (with the 100 people they carry) and not automobiles (and their 2 people they carry).
Just ignore the automobiles that carry only 1 person. Those single carrying automobiles should not dictate the traffic lights. The streetcars should be the vehicle that dominates the priority.

Better yet, restructure the governance structure of the city so that these decisions are made by the executive, not council through the subcommittee(s).

AoD

Left Turn Priority

I’ve noticed that at Russell Hill Rd. (1-way southbound) the left turn signal phase occurs even when there are no vehicles waiting to turn. At other intersections along the ROW, at least the left turn phase is skipped when there are no vehicles turning. Is there a problem with the sensor at Russell Hill?

I did the tour of Harvey Shops (at the Hillcrest Complex on Bathurst) on Saturday. Very interesting tour. I asked why the 3 spare CLRVs stored on St. Clair, west of Vaughan, are powered up all the time. I was told that most of the CLRVs still have their original batteries and if turned off, the batteries will quickly go dead and then it’s hard to get them going again.

With the TTC rebuilding tracks on Vaughan and Bathurst, will they put in trackwork to allow streetcars to turn from southbound Vaughan to northbound Bathurst?
This would make another loop. When the ramps are rebuilt at St. Clair West Station or whenever there are problems there, streetcars could run from Gunn's Loop to Bathurst (without going all the way to Bathurst Stn. to turn back).

I thought we were building Transit City ?

too many stops. no transit priority.

just because you call something LRT doesn't make it LRT.

St Clair is not a transit city line, nor is it LRT, the TTC is doing themselves a disservice by calling it that.

IIRC Adam Giambrone has stated that Transit City stops will be the same as the current stops.

IIRC Adam Giambrone has stated that Transit City stops will be the same as the current stops.

Well, the Sheppard maps showing all the stops show only about 70% of them staying,

We will see what stops are gone starting June 3 for the next round of PIC for Sheppard.

Don Mill should see next to no stops remove and we will have a clearer picture starting June 10 when the EA starts for it.

Final paving was taking place on the south side around Lansdowne today.

Most of the fencing barriers have been removed.

Some new light stands are up with new traffic signals been install at a few location.

More centre poles waiting to be install

Phase 2 Observations

Around 8;00 this evening they were still steam-rolling the new asphalt. Some stop lines and crosswalks had been painted – maybe trying to get the eastbound lanes open from Caledonia to Earlscourt for tomorrow morning? Not far off the scheduled date of last Friday.
Does anyone know why the ROW from Dufferin going west is being built at the same level as the street? What happened to the raised ROW?

Now that the top layer of concrete is in place it is easier to see where the ROW is raised. I believe it is raised Dufferin to Via Italia, Earlscourt to Lansdowne and Lansdowne to Caledonia. It is of course level with the road at signalized intersections and also from Via Italia to Earlscourt with 6†curbs now in place.

With the Corso festival coming up on July 5-6th, will the ROW be ready?

I was told on Tuesday the bulk of the work is to be done by month end.

The ROW itself is finish except for platforms and the overhead wiring.

The delay has been cause by material not been order in time as well making their mind on various material. The tiles were only order a few weeks ago and it will take 8 weeks to get them. I believe this is the tiles for the loop as well the curb.

The north side walks are being rebuilt where the work was not done last year. Still a lot of spots on the south side were the asphalt has to be replace with concrete.

More light poles have been installed.

There is nothing stop the festival at this time.

All work is to be done by August.

I had to laugh when I was asked when am I going to post more photo's of the ROW..

The weather was the pits when I took these and hope to get up there on the weekend if the weather is good.

Nothing of the original loop exist today.

Photo's
Eastbound bus ride

I heard that the Oakwood construction maybe delay until the fall, not as plan for Aug. 2010/11 is looking very good for completion.

West of Dufferin I noticed that they've installed metal poles in the middle of the tracks that are at like 10 ft high.

Anyone know what purpose those poles are supposed to serve...

EDIT: Silly me for not reading back a few pages before posting this.

Back