Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

Dropped by earlier today. I'm no expert and I'm just eyeballing it, but the current depth seems appropriate for two underground levels, or maybe three with low ceilings. Either they're just about done or they have one more level to go.

This isn't a very high building, so it shouldn't require all that many spots (and not all units come with parking spaces), but there was that underground parking deal they had, so who knows how much parking this building will require.

To my knowledge there will be 3 levels of underground parking. Some of the parking will be for residential and some for visitors (both for the building and surrounding area). My guess from being there 2 weeks ago is they had about another 15-20 feet left to dig.

As for talks of complications, delays, etc. the fact of the matter is almost all projects were delayed due to a combination of the recession and garbage strike. If u are an owner of this building just be happy that things are moving along and progress is being made.

According to the Allied Properties 2009 Year End statement, Allied will be acquiring parking spaces in both the Fashion House (560 King West) and 650 King West building parking garages.

AHK

In the case of 650 King, would you happen to know if that was a purchase of existing spaces, or were more parking spots added to the development?

I think by complicated they mean that the building does not have many typical elements, and there is an incredible amount of detail for a building of this size. Every floor is slightly different, which is how they create the look of the facades. Also, due to the many setbacks, there are more transfer elements to be built (Since set backs do not line up vertically in most cases, which is hard to tell from that rendering). The complexity comes from the detailed nature of the design, there is very little copy and paste up the building like in a lot of condos.

Translation: Peter Greed pre-sold these puppies too low for what he's promised the buyers and has probably blown his profit margins on this project. Having actually completed a few projects in the area he now knows the real costs and is probably thinking up ways to scale back some of the detail that helped sell the building to begin with.

If you are a buyer don't be surprised to find a finished product radically different from what you expected.

I always find random developer hatred amusing, especially on a website like this, of all places.

That's funny. I find your wild generalization even more amusing, particularly in a place a like this.

No hatred for any developers, or anyone at all for that matter. Just calling it like I see it.

In the case of 650 King, would you happen to know if that was a purchase of existing spaces, or were more parking spots added to the development?

I'm pretty sure more parking spots were added to the development. I think originally it was supposed to be two parking levels but they added a third after the deal with Allied. This was done to accomodate visitor parking for the surrounding area...

The excavation is going to continue until they his bedrock, which a reliable source advised me is approximately another 30 feet.

4 May 2010 update:

dsc03398s.jpg

Apparently a crane is giong in today for the King Street building, and in a few weeks, one will also go in for the Bathurst Street building. The cranes do the last of the digging and then start the construction.

Apparently a crane is giong in today for the King Street building, and in a few weeks, one will also go in for the Bathurst Street building. The cranes do the last of the digging and then start the construction.

Great news! Seems like things are really getting going on this project now. I'll try and get over there shortly to get some updated pics...

Back