Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

I have heard that, if all goes according to plan, the second crane is scheduled to be put in for the Bathurst St. building on October 18.

Apparently a crane is giong in today for the King Street building, and in a few weeks, one will also go in for the Bathurst Street building. The cranes do the last of the digging and then start the construction.

Such boundless enthusiasm.

I guess October 18 (if it happens that day) would count as being a few weeks from May 21.......

AHK

Weird, but I'm looking at the above photo and am wondering why they didn't use tiebacks on the north wall? The installation support that is there must really slow things up.

Early May 2007 (first page of this thread) I said:

this area of the city is becoming my favourite. I'd like to see what freed can do with red brick instead of minimalistic white + glass. There's still many parking lots (and a few ugly office buildings to implode) to fill but within 5-10 years, I believe the area will become the new "yorkville." Everyone on Stewart St seems to drive either a Mini Cooper, Audi A4 or BMW--kind of disgusting in a way but it will be interesting to see if the city will allow Portland St (i'm thinking of those rundown old houses) to become the new John St---ie little cafes in those houses; plus some retail on Bathurst St etc. Overall, if i don't buy a house in Dovercourt Village (cheap and rundown i love it!) i may just join the spoilt kids and buy from the monopolistic freed.

Are there any city planning doc's showing renderings about this 650 king st w proposal?

2010: Jimmy's Coffee on Portland is the start of converting those houses into cafe uses, just like John St! And Bathurst now has destination retail, like Drake Scoop's and Tee's....

Let's see: first before area becomes trendy he takes rundown but hot modernist architecture and ruins it by turning it into suburban stucco money maker. Then Freed moves in. Buys up the land and builds highend condos. Eventually, luxury Freed and aLoft hotels open. Mr Inn Keeper shall then lose some business and sell out at enormous price to Mr Freed hence becoming a Mr X Innkeeper. Mr X Innkeeper is very happy with $30 million buyout; Stewart St Rich kids are happy (until the pile drivers arrive;)) that ugly noisinn is gone; Mr Freed is happy that he can make another $100,000/unit sold on the new "Rich Kids' Inn" condo. Completion date: 2014.

Pipe dream? I hope not because X Inn is uglier than Sin.

2010: Thompson Residences...the X Innkeeper sold his land for how much again? Completion date 2014 is realistic...
Ha wow I am pretty psychic!

Last edited:
From a few days back. And yes they could not get the tie-back agreement for the north wall. I was told it was an extra $300,000 in construction costs because of that.

qp-650KingW1.jpg

qp-650KingW2.jpg

does not being able to get a tieback agreement suggest that the land north of there will be developed with a substantial below ground structure (e.g. another condo with a large parking garage)?

That's an interesting possibility, but tiebacks can be cut into once the foundation walls are fully finished.

Not getting tie back agreements usually has to do with the amount of money the adjacent property owner wants in order to allow the builder the right to use the area under his property. The tie backs should be de-stressed as the foundations are poured, so cutting/removing them later should not be an issue. In this case, I think they were asking more than the developer was willing to pay, but looking at the shoring structure, I wonder if it would have been worth it to just pay up and put in the tie backs.

second crane

Well, my sources were obviously not that accurate, but at least now I can confirm that a second crane has been installed on the site as of Saturday. This one is for the Bathurst Street building.

Good news! I wonder if both cranes will now be devoted to getting the Bathurst side parking levels poured.

Back