News   Apr 23, 2024
 755     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

Ok, now the height is not a problem so in terms of that the residents are going way too far. But when i read they are stacked townhouses, which are the worst type of housing, I understand their anger. i would even prefer 6 stories to stacked townhouses

Nothing spells gateway like a parking lot.

AoD

But what about the 'character' of this shitty road that will be destroyed?

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 3.20.31 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 3.20.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 3.20.31 PM.png
    772.6 KB · Views: 417
Remember this problem extends even into Toronto:

24462-84989.jpeg

So the meeting was originally an informal open house by the developer, and turned into a full presentation by the solicitor due to the amount of people.

Highlights:

• Extremely childish behaviour, talking over the presenter, shouting out nonsense like calling the townhouses the Berlin wall, and likening the towers to the Titanic.

• Some real grade A douches, who then went on to say that the presenter needed to respect the neighbourhood, while being disrespectful the entire time.

• Cell Phones going off the entire time.

• Some legitimate concerns raised by the tenants of the existing rental buildings, mostly due to being uninformed about the process, their rights, and how far along in the process this proposal is. Essentially boiling down to questions about the right of return.

• Some asinine comments about the look of the building, by people who dressed like they had no taste to begin with.

• Concern that a light at Champlain would be too close to the lights at Wilson Heights and King High, and that traffic will go up Bathurst to enter the neighbourhood rather than across Wilson and then up into the area.

• NIMBY shit concerning the height.

• Concern that there is not a parking spot for each unit.

• Concern that there is going to be too much parking.

• Questions about the capacity of the schools in the area to absorb new childreen.

• Councilor Pasternak saying he knew this development would be problematic when he first saw it.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/470-wilson-39m-13s-collecdev-gh3.26595/page-4#post-1222129

Ok, now the height is not a problem so in terms of that the residents are going way too far. But when i read they are stacked townhouses, which are the worst type of housing, I understand their anger. i would even prefer 6 stories to stacked townhouses

What's wrong with stacked townhouses? They're like condos, except in smaller buildings that will probably be less expensive to maintain over the owner's lifetime than the average tower. There's no waiting for elevators. It seems to be a practical housing type.

What's wrong with stacked townhouses? They're like condos, except in smaller buildings that will probably be less expensive to maintain over the owner's lifetime than the average tower. There's no waiting for elevators. It seems to be a practical housing type.
they are not family friendly. Flights of stairs, they are for young people like Liberty Village. If they were freehold townhouse I think most people would not have a problem with especially if designed properly and not built cheap. Stacked townhouses do not have elevator (unless some do). They have stacked townhouses on Wilson Ave west of Dufferin St. One of the restaurant owner when I asked if business picked up with townhouses completed and people now moved in said most of units were bought by investor and they are rented out (was that really a surprise) and people needed to go out to buy apartment size furniture and there are no elevators.

they are not family friendly. Flights of stairs, they are for young people like Liberty Village. If they were freehold townhouse I think most people would not have a problem with especially if designed properly and not built cheap. Stacked townhouses do not have elevator (unless some do). They have stacked townhouses on Wilson Ave west of Dufferin St. One of the restaurant owner when I asked if business picked up with townhouses completed and people now moved in said most of units were bought by investor and they are rented out (was that really a surprise) and people needed to go out to buy apartment size furniture and there are no elevators.

You're just walking up two floors at most, like a walk-up apartment. The family needs exercise. There are larger stacked townhouse units and smaller ones. Some are more family friendly than others in terms of size.

You're just walking up two floors at most, like a walk-up apartment. The family needs exercise. There are larger stacked townhouse units and smaller ones. Some are more family friendly than others in terms of size.
3 sets of staircases starting from when you first enter, lost sq footage due to these staircases, narrow, lack of family friendly outdoor space because upper units have rooftop terraces, noise worst than traditional townhouses depending who lives in the upper unit, And then with back to back stacked even worse. Only have windows on one side. Having traditional freehold townhouses go into a neighbourhood has less resistance than stacked bak to back

Councillor Holland has made a motion at this week's Council meeting to send City lawyers and staff to an OMB hearing to fight a proposal at 3224 Danforth Avenue for a four-storey building, with a separate one-storey live-work accessory building. All because there is no parking (see the City staff report here, where apprehensions are raised about visitors to the new building using on-street parking spaces at the expense of the locals).

On the Danforth. Within 750 m of a subway station. Four storeys.

Last edited:
"...would attract low income tenants."

Ah yes, all those low income tenants forking out $1,800 a month for a flop apartment in Little Italy. Those darn vagrants!

Back