News   Apr 23, 2024
 76     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 837     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 286     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

Is it really nimbyism that prevents the development of housing in Toronto, or just rich land owners who want to make sure their property and rent value don't decrease with increased competition?

Is it really nimbyism that prevents the development of housing in Toronto, or just rich land owners who want to make sure their property and rent value don't decrease with increased competition?

More development usually increases the value of surrounding houses. So yes, its mostly NIMBYism.

More development usually increases the value of surrounding houses. So yes, its mostly NIMBYism.

I guess you have a point. I was reading an article lately that in Toronto it's not supply that is causing the increase prices, it's actually demand. More people are buying second and third homes as investments and rental opportunities causing higher demands. While there is enough housing to meet population needs, it is being taken up by investors. So more supply will probably just be bought up by them anyways.

Likely developer vs. residents battle brewing in High Park.

high-park-community-alliance.png

High Park-area tower proposals offer 1,800 rental units — but at what price?
New development in older neighbourhoods could be source of friction throughout Toronto
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/new-development-old-neighbourhoods-1.4019009

Toronto Jane's Walk: come join us at Bessarion subway station where we will investigate "condo creep", as if that's really an issue at said station. Because if there's one thing Jane would have hated, it's dense housing, walkable neighbourhoods and effecient public transit. See you there!

View attachment 107323

My Jane's Walk guide last year was entirely too disturbed by density threat in Forrest Hill... Only explanation being that Jane Jacobs liked "the street opera" and though old buildings needed new ideas... or something.

Toronto Jane's Walk: come join us at Bessarion subway station where we will investigate "condo creep", as if that's really an issue at said station. Because if there's one thing Jane would have hated, it's dense housing, walkable neighbourhoods and effecient public transit. See you there!

View attachment 107323

What a load of shit. Perhaps I missed the part of Jane Jacobs' mantra that argued in favour of sprawl...

What a load of shit. Perhaps I missed the part of Jane Jacobs' mantra that argued in favour of sprawl...
Surely it's not sprawl if you replace low density single family houses and big box surface parking lots with condo towers near an almost completely unused subway station.

On the other hand Jane also argued that new ideas need old building. Therefore I support converting Bessarion station into a bowling alley. This way the station will finally get more usage, while also preventing the need for "condo creep". Compromise?

On the other hand Jane also argued that new ideas need old building. Therefore I support converting Bessarion station into a bowling alley. This way the station will finally get more usage, while also preventing the need for "condo creep". Compromise?
There's already a community centre being built very close to Bessarion station.

Only steps from the Royal York subway entrance...

newtwitterav_normal.jpg
Matt Elliott@GraphicMatt
19 mins ago
Kingsway residents oppose “brazenly outsized development proposal.” It’s a nine storey condo. https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...-brazen-kingsway-development-proposal-at-omb/

“This building protrudes on all sides into somebody else’s space. It’s too big for the land it stands upon and the density increase is untenable.”

The much-opposed application in question proposes a nine-storey, mixed-use development, containing commercial uses at grade and 126 residential units above.
its amazing that Di Cano's motion passed 8-0 to fight the proposal and one of the 8 councillors who supported him is my councillor Di Giorgio yet in his ward he is all for 16 building that are being built on the former Humber Hospital site. Unreal. Plus kept having a meeting almost every year for a proposed condo on lawrence much higher than 9 stories and trying to get it passed

Only steps from the Royal York subway entrance...

newtwitterav_normal.jpg
Matt Elliott@GraphicMatt
19 mins ago
Kingsway residents oppose “brazenly outsized development proposal.” It’s a nine storey condo. https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...-brazen-kingsway-development-proposal-at-omb/

“This building protrudes on all sides into somebody else’s space. It’s too big for the land it stands upon and the density increase is untenable.”

The much-opposed application in question proposes a nine-storey, mixed-use development, containing commercial uses at grade and 126 residential units above.
Every other condo on that stretch is 6 stories, and the neighbouring properties are only two stories in height. Some of the local group's arguments are just fear mongering but the developer needs to explain why a 50% height increase above plan is appropriate for the strip.

Once the four or five other planned condos on that strip go in, it will be a nice overhaul of the street. However, there's a big difference between six stories on either side of the street and nine on either side. This isn't the Queensway with 5-6 lanes of traffic and wide sidewalks to justify the greater scale.

Every other condo on that stretch is 6 stories, and the neighbouring properties are only two stories in height. Some of the local group's arguments are just fear mongering but the developer needs to explain why a 50% height increase above plan is appropriate for the strip.

Once the four or five other planned condos on that strip go in, it will be a nice overhaul of the street. However, there's a big difference between six stories on either side of the street and nine on either side. This isn't the Queensway with 5-6 lanes of traffic and wide sidewalks to justify the greater scale.

Why do tall buildings need to justify themselves? Why is legally-mandated low-rise development in a fast-growing city considered the norm, even in transit-rich areas with local amenities, where the growth can be handled with existing infrastructure?

I'm just questioning the paradigm where the identified problem is the height of the building and not the fact that it's illegal to build tall buildings next to a subway station, in a sprawling region starved for rapid transit...

Back