Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Very impressive reviews indeed. I'm glad they're doing well... and very curious to how the reviews of Trump and Shangri-la will compare.

Any bets as to which will establish themselves as THE 5-star hotel in Toronto?

Very impressive reviews indeed. I'm glad they're doing well... and very curious to how the reviews of Trump and Shangri-la will compare.

The Hazelton still has the pre-eminent deluxe reviews. Intimate size and location makes it leaps and bounds above the competition. The only one that will be giving this hotel a run for its money is the new Four Seasons. I'm sure they will do something very special for their global flagship.

4S is the #1 hotelier. Given that their headquarters is here, I think it will be a flagship 4S and I expect it will be tough to beat, at least in Toronto.
The smaller boutique hotels are a different breed and appeal to some and not to others. I personally love them so Hazelton would be really neat in my view.
Comparing SL to the Ritz: I think SL tends to be somewhat more of a relaxed atmosphere catering to make you feel very comfortable ( emphasizing relaxation and their spa and very high staff to guest ration vs. Ritz which I think might be more "ritzy" if I could use that expression.
I note that Trump was left out but I think it should be included in the discussion. Not sure what to really expect from it.

New hotels in chains usually get nice reviews allowing for the teething pains. The facilities are new and hence eye appealing.
I do know that SL Vancouver got the top rating of all the SL chains, which are the #1 chain in Asia. Given it is the same builder as Vancouver in Toronto, I think this bodes well. SL still is unknown to a large portion of the North American population other than that segment that travels to the Far East and Asia. They are now adding London, Paris, were to add Chicago but the developer ran into difficulty, and other locations in the US.

So my long winded answer is: For the older crowd: 4S and Ritz.
For those wanting a weekend get a way and relaxation: Shangrila.
For those who want a name hotel: Trump.
All will be excellent business hotels I suspect..

So my long winded answer is: For the older crowd: 4S and Ritz.
For those wanting a weekend get a way and relaxation: Shangrila.
For those who want a name hotel: Trump.
All will be excellent business hotels I suspect..

definitely agree with that. Trump Tower is such a powerful/iconic name! even though it may not be a far-reached global brand, it's very reputable in cities like NY and Chicago.
I see trump as a more quiet/private/exclusive hotel, especially given it's closed off location. It's got a small footprint which means fewer hotel rooms per floor, and there isn't a giant podium for big events. Even the lobby area is smaller that that of the Ritz and probably shangri-la and Four Seasons.

From the island ferry this weekend:

440e.jpg

Photo by me.

There are differences within the 5 star ranks. Some offer better experiences than others and are priced according so.

4 Seasons and the Ritz for example are usually of higher quality than your typical Fairmount or any member of the Hyatt chain (some may feel uncomfortable with this fact but this is the case nevertheless).

In this case, I see the main competition would be between the 4 Seasons and the Ritz. I believe that Trump International and Shangri-la are positioned somewhat differently; some may even say of lesser quality. On the marketing side however, Marriott have a much grander marketing and customer retention base than the 4S, so as much as 4 Seasons may want to deploy on its home turf, the battle will be tough.

4 Seasons and the Ritz for example are usually of higher quality than your typical Fairmount or any member of the Hyatt chain (some may feel uncomfortable with this fact but this is the case nevertheless)
It's Fairmont... without the u... I always liked those hotels but i cant give a full opinion on this topic because i have never been to any 5 star hotels other than Fairmont

Back