2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Raptors

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's not and stop looking for things that are not there.

I could have sworn you were 27 for some reason. At least I thought so. I think hockey just needs to attract the immigrant community more. It's too expensive now compared to when you were younger.
27? That's oddly specific. Lol. I'm somewhere between the age you think I am and the age Translude thinks I am.

But yeah I agree the NHL and other leagues should probably court the immigrant community more.

In any case, I don't hate basketball, I've been to the odd game here and there. It just seems odd though that so many Raptors fans are so eager to bash hockey. TFC fans do it too. Really, who cares if another sport is more popular? Why not just enjoy your team's success?

Fair enough it just sounded like you were one of those ardent anti-basketball types, of which there are quite a few in the more rural parts of Ontario. Luckily, the majority of us on UT are fairly open-minded on a variety of issues, sports included.

27? That's oddly specific. Lol. I'm somewhere between the age you think I am and the age Translude thinks I am.

But yeah I agree the NHL and other leagues should probably court the immigrant community more.

My guess is 35 then lol. And yes, I think we can all agree the NHL and development bodies in both Canada and the USA can do more to introduce the game to immigrants and make the game more accessible.

And yes, I think we can all agree the NHL and development bodies in both Canada and the USA can do more to introduce the game to immigrants and make the game more accessible.

Hockey media love to tear down players rather than celebrate them like in no other sport. The most prominent young muslim players (Kadri and Yakupov) in the league, despite being highly skilled, are endlessly attacked for not being good enough, for being lazy, or just not "competing hard enough," while at the same time a worthless goon from Flin Flon will get praised as a hero for playing 2 minutes every 5 games because he punches someone and is then ejected from the game.

And it's not just the NHL. Look at Hockey Canada's 2014 Junior Championship invites that came out last week. The event is right here in Toronto and Josh Ho-Sang, who was born in Thornhill, was not invited because he's "immature" (and that's a direct quote from Hockey Canada's GM). Is he immature or is it because hes Chinese-Jamaican and they just don't "get" him. After all they did invite a player who was suspended by his team because he got in bar fight and was arrested for assault a few months ago. That's an example of maturity? Ho-Sang had 32 goals and 53 assists in 67 games last season. More than one point every game.

What message are immigrant players getting here?

Last edited:
Racism exists in basketball as well. People often prefer black players over "euros". Being white myself I don't take too much offense since other than Bird Dirk and Nash I think it's probably what I would prefer as well. I wanted LaMarcus over Bargnani mainly because he grew up here. I'm dutch. For many years our teams would have internal fighting over racism as well. Its everywhere not just in hockey.

What message are immigrant players getting here?

To be fair, Kadri has gotten plenty of praise from critics lately, and Yakupov, as a first overall pick, has grossly underperformed. Not nearly the same level of failure as legendary first overall bust Alex Daigle, but still, considering how many top 5 picks Edmonton has had in the last few years (and the lack of success of these players), it is not hard to see why the media there is critical.

There was Darren Pang's unfortunate comment on P.K. Subban back in 2010 though. That could be viewed either as a racist Freudian slip, or just a terrible fumbling of words.

Last edited:
Well how about that. We didn't have a thread dedicated to general Raptors discussions, though we had a few Raptors related threads dating back some years. Those have been merged, and we now have a place for a more current discussion with a bit more continuity.

Ah yes, the Raptors. It is great that there is now a Raptors thread, just like how there is a general Jays thread.

I wish the Raptors luck in the playoffs. So far, three of four matches against the Heat in the conference semifinals have gone overtime.

I am partially responsible for making the Toronto Raptors Wikipedia article a featured article and I edit it almost as often as I edited the Jays article.

Ah yes, the Raptors. It is great that there is now a Raptors thread, just like how there is a general Jays thread.

I wish the Raptors luck in the playoffs. So far, three of four matches against the Heat in the conference semifinals have gone overtime.

I am partially responsible for making the Toronto Raptors Wikipedia article a featured article and I edit it almost as often as I edited the Jays article.

They had last night's game in the bag but unfortunately fell apart down the stretch. It's obvious Demar and Kyle are playing with nagging injuries and DD's thumb clearly isn't helping his shooting. JV's absence really hurts them down the middle and it was evident last night. Had he played I'm certain they would've won the game. This series will go down to the wire though.

They had last night's game in the bag but unfortunately fell apart down the stretch. It's obvious Demar and Kyle are playing with nagging injuries and DD's thumb clearly isn't helping his shooting. JV's absence really hurts them down the middle and it was evident last night. Had he played I'm certain they would've won the game. This series will go down to the wire though.
The Raptors played quite well under pressure. The last series against the Pacers had seven games. Here's hoping that the Raptors don't collapse.

Uh oh, looks like Demarre Carroll is going to be out of commission for a little while. Took a rough landing on the wrist in the third quarter of Game 5

Whoever wins this series will be owned by the Cavs. They will be healthy and will be well rested.
Agreed, neither team has a chance against the Cavs. All that matters is progressing past round 2 for the first time in franchise history.

The Raptors simply playing against the Cavs would be an achievement in itself. Beating LeBron James and his Cavs (which would be difficult for the Raptors, even if the Raptors were playing their best and yes, the Cavs have home advantage) would mean having to beat (very likely) the Golden State Warriors and the Splash Bros. for the NBA championship.

According to FiveThirtyEight.com, the Cavs have a 74% chance of reaching the NBA Finals, as compared with 20% for the Raptors and 64% chance for the Warriors.

With regards to winning the NBA Championship, the Cavs have a 20% chance, the Raptors 3% chance, and the Warriors 51% chance.

Source: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nba-picks/

The Raptors have advanced to the Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history, beating the Miami Heat in 7 games

Back