Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Keesmat has also confirmed Eglinton will be a 'greenway', with grass on the ROW, on numerous occasions. Sounds like a completely different situation than Queens Quay... likely due to the number of lanes available.

Keesmat has also confirmed Eglinton will be a 'greenway', with grass on the ROW, on numerous occasions. Sounds like a completely different situation than Queens Quay... likely due to the number of lanes available.

Again, as always, plans are described as the exist at present. Whether the plan is maintained when it comes to construction is an entirely different matter.

My understanding is that the greenery portion of the Eglinton plan is contained within a broader streetscaping budget item that also includes cycle tracks. The funding for that category of streetscaping was treated as a separate concern from any category that has already been funded.

In other words, yes, it is planned, but it's not yet funded. Which, in this city with this Council and this Mayor, means it is nearly the furthest thing from a sure thing.

Metrolinx spokesman Jamie Robinson said city planning officials were “keenly interested” in having green trackway along certain portions of the Crosstown in Scarborough.

The city has agreed to fund the greenway, he added.

“We embraced that and so there will be green trackway along portions of the surface section in Scarborough,” Robinson said. “That’s in the project specifications.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/02/eglinton-crosstown-green-trackway-plans-ridiculous

That aspect of the plan is, as I understand it, as yet unfunded.

According to the story above, it's happening and it's in the specifications that Metrolinx is working off of.

I think you are referring to Eglinton Connects, which includes streetscaping and is so far not funded.

That aspect of the plan is, as I understand it, as yet unfunded.

How can that possibly be correct when Crosslinx has the design, finance, build, maintain contract? They've been showing a green guideway through all of their drawings and official submissions through at least 30% (60% is coming up soon.) They wouldn't put it in there if it wasn't part of the Project Agreement, or was added to it by a variance (which includes financial changes to the contract, if necessary.) I could be entirely wrong, I'm not involved at at-grade stuff, but my limited understanding of the way this project works, I don't see how it can be unfunded if we're showing it in our drawings.

Yeah, I just double checked. "Green Track" is clearly included in the agreements, including details about maintenance standards, how often to fertilize, aerate, weed, water, etc. Also lays out where it must be implemented, between X and Y streets, excluding bridges underpasses, stop platforms, intersections, etc, It's happening.

Yeah, I just double checked. "Green Track" is clearly included in the agreements, including details about maintenance standards, how often to fertilize, aerate, weed, water, etc. Also lays out where it must be implemented, between X and Y streets, excluding bridges underpasses, stop platforms, intersections, etc, It's happening.

I certainly hope you're entirely right (although I think any further discussion on this matter should move over to one of the Eglinton threads), but I gather that the outstanding wrinkle/impediment is that there are Planning department steps that need to be taken before the greenery can be implemented. I should also say that I'm admittedly fuzzy on how proposed standards with Crosstown and Connects intermingle, though to an earlier point, it's right that there's a distinction between funding and approvals depending on which of the two Eglinton projects that is being referred to.

Could you please provide a link to the agreements you mention? Thanks very much.

Today, 5:12 PM to 5:56 PM: "509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina route turning back at Spadina due to a collision at Queens Quay and Lower Simcoe." per @TTCnotices

Picture from reddit.com/r/toronto:

FHaHW5X.jpg

Today, 5:12 PM to 5:56 PM: "509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina route turning back at Spadina due to a collision at Queens Quay and Lower Simcoe." per @TTCnotices

How did that even happen? I have to assume the streetcar driver would have noticed a car on the ROW long before plowing into it, so it must have been a last second event. But how or why did the van mount the curb and impact the car? Was it just slightly up on the edge and the streetcar driver believed there was sufficient clearance?

How did that even happen? I have to assume the streetcar driver would have noticed a car on the ROW long before plowing into it, so it must have been a last second event. But how or why did the van mount the curb and impact the car? Was it just slightly up on the edge and the streetcar driver believed there was sufficient clearance?

It looks to me as if the van was crossing the ROW and was hit broadside by the streetcar - the impact of the streetcar would then have spun the van around parallel to the streetcar, and perpendicular to its original direction of travel.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Could you please provide a link to the agreements you mention? Thanks very much.

I don't know if it's public. It's in the Project Specific Output Specification (PSOS). I couldn't find it with a quick Google Search. I know the Project Agreement (PA) is out there somewhere.

FHaHW5X.jpg

Ironically, I saw this nearly happen *twice* with different cars on my walk down there on Monday.

Trucks loading away a weekend event at Harbourfront Centre were leaving by driving across the pedestrian sidewalk, bike lane and streetcar tracks in one go, obstructed by trees. Just kind of gunning it. Loading trucks on Harbroufront are supposed to leave and enter via Lower Simcoe but these idiots were all taking the shortcut.

Last edited:

Back