Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I have yet to see them drive on the ROW.
I've only ever seen a police car use it on spadina. I don't think they actually really like to use them because of having to avoid the streetcars. My guess it's mainly councillors saying that they should be able to use them rather than Toronto emergency services saying they want to use them.

Good to know. I was walking the other day when there was a lot of traffic and saw them pushing their way through in the regular lanes (not the first time). Maybe it depends on who is driving!

I take the 509 every day as part of my commute. I've seen emergency vehicles use the ROW a few times, particularly when QQ is backed up.

What I'm curious about is why they don't give St. Clair a grassy surface, considering emergency vehicles DON'T use that ROW.

I take the 509 every day as part of my commute. I've seen emergency vehicles use the ROW a few times, particularly when QQ is backed up.

What I'm curious about is why they don't give St. Clair a grassy surface, considering emergency vehicles DON'T use that ROW.

Because that would require spending money, and John Tory is our Mayor.

To be fair, no one would want to rip it up when it is still perfectly serviceable - it would be a waste of money, time and create disruption all around.

AoD

True; my anger was more directed at the surely impending cutting of that aspect from the Eglinton LRT plan for the same reasoning.

I kinda get why grass is a non-starter. It'd become rutted up, slick, a maintenance headache, drainage would be an issue, etc. But has the City ever thought about hollow paving blocks? I think it could be optimal, and would at least resolve some of the issues.

Either way, it's apparent that something different should be done with the ROW. Coloured pavers, asphalt using a pink granite aggregate, or simply paint. The current grey concrete is obviously an issue for drivers, and it doesn't look as nice as something with a bit more colour.

hastings.jpg

I've seen ambulances on the St. Clair ROW.

The initial design for Queens Quay streetcar right-of-way had grass as well. It didn't happen.

urbantoronto-6731-29317.jpg

We have to really supervise any future right-of-ways and ask questions if they don't.

I know, but I truly believe it this time. :D

I'm keeping my eye on it from the inside. (I have no power to do anything about it.)

Back