Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
welcome home Ramako ...

and thanks !!

By me:
4689117766_1cc56188ff_b.jpg

Original size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramako/4689117766/sizes/o/

According this picture, where California condo will rise?

I was actually down there as well yesterday and completely agree. I would have never expected the landscaping to look so great. I can only imagine once it is all complete.

An update from the inside of NXT - all the units on floors 3 & 4 are locked up with no access unless you have a key. What does this mean? I am assuming that means there are items in the unit i.e appliances which can be stolen and must be kept locked up. I would also assume that means the entire units are basically done - so if you have a unit on those first two floors - it is likely good to go very very soon.

I was up on the 10th floor as well (whcih is where my unit is located) and the kitchen cabinets, washroom cabinets/tiles and shower tiles have all been installed. Baseboards are also in and the privacy screens seperating the balconies were in my unit and ready to be installed. Unfortunately I was too tired to climb up any more stairs - so I cant provide any updates for anyone above the 10th floor :)

As for the main level (lobby, pool area, etc). the drywall has been installed in 90% of that area as well so things are definitely coming along.

You snuck into the bldg? LOL. Btw, do the privacy screens go up to the ceiling or are they only up to a certain level, so that if your neighbor wants to 'spy' on your balcony, then can just tiptoe or use a step to peer over?

Up until about a month ago it was really easy to sneak in. The lobby level was completely open with no walls, and the construction site fences were left open around back. I think they had maybe one security guard on site... It's cool that you were able to sneak in now :)

The bottom floors must be moving in very soon. My unit's on the 14th floor and I got a letter a couple weeks ago confirming the move-in date is scheduled for Sept. 23. When I bought they were originally saying Sept. 30. I figured being on the 14th floor I probably wouldn't move in until Nov, but they are obviously well ahead of schedule. Can't wait!

I wouldnt consider it sneaking in....just being adventurous!!

And it was the same case with me...original move in date was Sep 30 - now its Sep 1 for the 10th floor.

Anyone else notice the second crane seems to have disappeared along with the first?

The Crane for the first tower is no longer needed as the elevator can handle to rest of the material that needs to go up. I assume another crane will return soon as they are preparing the foundation for NXT2 right now.

As far as I'm concerned, NXT, Toronto's glassiest glossiest slab tower, doesn't get the attention it deserves on UT. Peter Clewes, local king of the minimalist-cool glass point tower, has done quite a good job here stretching his aesthetic over a mostly rectangular frame. I thought I'd do a walk-around to feature NXT's fun touches.

From the South Kingsway bridge over the Queensway, featuring the surrounding Vic Schtick townhomes in the foreground.

NXT01Bridge.jpg

West of NXT: NXT 2 will soon rise close to the camera's location.

NXT02westpano.jpg

Getting closer, we see the single storey lobby and amenities building, all-glass coolness.

NXT03northwestpano.jpg

To the east of the entryway the grounds feature a matrix of birch trees. Birch are notoriously finicky, but with appropriate care should take to their new home and grow. At least one looks like it did not survive the move from the nursery; replacement to come before registration I assume.

NXT04Birchpano.jpg

Looking up at the tower, I like the every-second floor notches in the balcony.

NXT05Notch.jpg

And I'm a sucker for staggered windows.

NXT06Risepano.jpg

Here's something you won't see in many spots in Toronto: an overhang over the street! Not possible where the streets are public, but here where they have no name, this is a cheeky move that puts a smile on my face.

NXT07Overhangpano.jpg

Looking up from the street below.

NXT08Overhang.jpg

I also really like the crimp in the east facade of the building.

NXT09Crimp.jpg

Here's a better view of the crimp, and the east facade. At the bottom the black brick box will hold... double height units? I'm not sure.

NXT10Backpano.jpg

On the other side of Windermere, NXT reflects Cresford's earlier project, the rounded Windermere-by-the-Lake.

NXT11Reflection.jpg

Here's the building from Queensway and Windermere.

NXT12TruckTurn.jpg

A view from across Queensway towards the base of the tower:

NXT13Sidestreet.jpg

And the full view from the same spot:

NXT14Sideview.jpg

Finally, a look back, with Windermere-by-the-Lake in the background.

NXT15Queensway.jpg

Meanwhile up top, or 25 floors up at least, here's the view to the west courtesy of UrbanToronto member Trixdee. Trix and her husband are looking forward to moving into their unit in December.

NXT00OurView.jpg

Amazing Pictures!!!! My only concern right now is that it appears my long balcony has been broken up with 2 dividers, There are 3 entry points to the balcony from my unit and I was expecting it to be one long stretch. Breaking it up into 3 chunks does not make sense to me. We shall see what they say on Sat!! Thanks again for the pix!

Great shots, this building looks great. One question though (to no one directly): why on Earth do developers put up such trashy townhouses? It's clear that the ability to embrace clean, modern design is acceptable for highrises, yet an overwhelming majority of townhouse developments are terribly executed, ungraceful historicist schlock piles such as those above. Really takes away from the area as a whole.

And I'm sorry if anyone's offended to a degree (purchasers of said homes, perhaps), but we need to embrace some more modern bold townhouse design, lest these things keep getting crapped all over the landscape. It's embarrassing, I am embarrassed to have those homes in this city.

Last edited:
Amazing Pictures!!!! My only concern right now is that it appears my long balcony has been broken up with 2 dividers, There are 3 entry points to the balcony from my unit and I was expecting it to be one long stretch. Breaking it up into 3 chunks does not make sense to me. We shall see what they say on Sat!! Thanks again for the pix!

just unbolt the dividers when you move in..

Great pix interchange42!

Great shots, this building looks great. One question though (to no one directly): why on Earth do developers put up such trashy townhouses? It's clear that the ability to embrace clean, modern design is acceptable for highrises, yet an overwhelming majority of townhouse developments are terribly executed, ungraceful historicist schlock piles such as those above. Really takes away from the area as a whole.

And I'm sorry if anyone's offended to a degree (purchasers of said homes, perhaps), but we need to embrace some more modern bold townhouse design, lest these things keep getting crapped all over the landscape. It's embarrassing, I am embarrassed to have those homes in this city.

I was thinking about that, and wondering if the townhouses were done in the same style as NXT, would it be better? However, wouldn't it then be too convoluted to have so much modernism in both the condos and townhouses? Does anyone have a good example of were it works, having similar matching styles for these 2 types of bldgs?

Back