Brampton Mount Pleasant Heights | ?m | 14s | Argo Developments

Just what Brampton needs......another mall (insert sarcasm here). I've lived here most of my life, and I've seen the downtown area fall flat on it's face in favour of large retail big box outlets. The Queen street corridor is full of empty lots, abandoned car dealerships. Shoppers World has become the dive of the community, and Kennedy Road is a disgrace! I wish that somebody would give their heads a shake, and focus on redevelopment of what we already have, before building yet another big box traffic nightmare.

Shopping mall and big box are two different things.

Shopping mall and big box are two different things.

Agreed! A shopping mall is, at its heart, a pedestrian experience. A climate-controlled, privately-owned pedestrian experience, but a pedestrian experience nonetheless. Shopping malls make consistently good transit hubs in a way that power centres do not.

Imagine my disappointment when I see the proposal for the land between Mount Pleasant GO and Mississauga Road. The Osmington mall proposal would be on the west side of Mississauga.

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall...rban Planners Ltd. File C04W11.010 WARD 6.pdf

The applicant is proposing to rezone the subject property from Agricultural (A) to a site
specific Commercial zoning designation to permit the development of a district retail centre
comprising, commercial, retail, office, personal service and automotive uses. The applicant
is proposing one or more of the following anchor tenant uses: supermarket; major
department/discount department store; home improvement/hardware outlet. The following
uses are also proposed; automotive uses; pharmacy; restaurants; and, personal service
establishments.

The site plan shows a linear big box cluster, likely featuring Target.

The Osmington plan is coming back to a public open house/planning committee meeting on April 4, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.

Notice here.

The proposed development comprises a mixed use development consisting of approximately 111,485 square metres (1.2 million square feet) of retail/commercial floor space (a regional shopping center), approximately 13,007 square metres (140,000 square feet) of additional retail/commercial floor space, a movie theatre, a hotel, apartments, natural heritage system areas and stormwater management ponds

Screen shot 2016-03-12 at 8.58.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-12 at 8.58.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-12 at 8.58.28 PM.png
    282.7 KB · Views: 2,246
It looks more walkable than earlier examples of suburban mall planning, but it just goes to show that we're not done with sprawl yet. Brampton, still brought to you by big auto.

A mass transit plan for the GTA ought to be THE BIG IDEA. Simply make it the sine qua non for the ambitious MP or MPP bleating to be elected. Shake up the " priority lists " of the McGuinty and Harper cabals, for once.
Agreed, but more than ever our politicians are afraid to go along with any large capital expenditure project because of paralytic fear of the associated costs being handed down over generations. Much easier to avoid the ugly realities on the ground - avoid taking courageous stances and commitments and turn instead to saying and posturing whatever is deem sufficient to get elected or re-elected.

Remember that line of the Ford brothers: respect for taxpayers. Following that rationale to its logical conclusion and you end up with citizens not wanting to pay for anything. It fosters a culture of permanent infantilism.

Yeah, that's a cynical take, admittedly. But politics is a cynical game. City-building and politics make for strange bedfellows.

My problem with the Osmington proposal is two-fold. The site is close to a GO station (Mount Pleasant), but too far away from it to be easily walkable to it. Between the GO station and the and the mall, there are plans for standard big box retail. This makes me feel like screaming. It's also alongside a planned corridor for Highway 413. I'm glad that the province halted the planning process for that new expressway, but it could still happen.

The planning report just dropped about 10 minutes ago. Starts PDF page 44 here.

The applicant is proposing to develop the lands as a Regional Commercial Centre comprising:
  • 111,485 square metres (1.2 million square feet) of retail/commercial floor space (a regional shopping center) 13,007 square metres (140,000 square feet) of additional retail/commercial floor space
  • 27,870 square metres (300,000 square feet) of office space
  • 2,000 apartment units
  • a 16,720 square metre (180,000 square feet) hotel containing 350 rooms
  • a 3,715 square metre (40,000 square feet), 2,200 seat movie theatre complex.
Also, three stormwater ponds, two natural areas, internal road network, street extension with Lagerfield Drive.

The development is up at the OMB. So while Osmington/city will do a public meeting, it's not up to the city for approval. The OMB ruling is in September.

New concept site plan
Screen shot 2016-03-24 at 8.09.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-24 at 8.09.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-24 at 8.09.19 PM.png
    456.3 KB · Views: 1,378
This item is up for debate at Brampton's Planning and Development Committee:

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/PDD Committee 2010/20100908pdd_G3.pdf

The plan is for a regional shopping mall (over 1,000,000 square feet) plus outdoor lifestyle shopping, offices, condos and recreational uses, perhaps a hotel.

The City is moving to include this in the Mount Pleasant secondary plan, supposedly meant to have a medium/high density node around the GO station and area, though built development have been typical subdivisions with some low-medium residential (townhouses).

Such a mall would have significant impacts on Georgetown and west Brampton.

Site plans start on Page 18.
considering that on-line shopping is increasing I am still surprised that shopping malls are being built. Have they really done their research. More stuff from China coming over once that mall is up and running

considering that on-line shopping is increasing I am still surprised that shopping malls are being built. Have they really done their research. More stuff from China coming over once that mall is up and running
Online shopping still doesn't work very well for clothing, and most malls contain mainly clothing stores these days.

The development is up at the OMB. So while Osmington/city will do a public meeting, it's not up to the city for approval. The OMB ruling is in September.
As the public meeting is happening, it's an indication that they may be doing the same thing that has begun to occur often in Toronto now: even with set OMB dates, the developer and the City continue to work on the plan, hoping to have a settlement in place by the time of the OMB hearing that both sides can live with, so that the OMB appearance becomes little more than a reporting of the settlement which the OMB can then ratify (and add conditions if they see fit).

Clothing sizes are all over place. Which makes it difficult for online shopping. North American brand shirts, I take a medium. European brands fit a bit smaller, mediums don't fit me. I have to get a large. Same with dress shirts. i take a 16, but some brands a 16 is too big i have to get a 15.5

Also Canada's insanely high shipping rates is another reason why people are going to the stores instead of buying online.

Higher costs keeping Canadian shoppers offline http://globalnews.ca/news/758354/higher-costs-keeping-canadian-shoppers-offline/

Last edited:

Online shopping is great - when everything works out. If the product doesn't work or the wrong item is shipped, replacements are difficult and slow. And if they decide not to replace what you ordered, or if they erroneously bill your card twice for the same item, who do you go after? It can be a nightmare. Most people shopping online, even for electronics, will go to a bricks and mortar store to see and touch it first - then order it online. That's whats happening to stores like Best Buy. Online shopping is convenient but if there is a problem its a mess.

2/3 the size of the Bramalea City Centre....which exists even with the burgeoning/growing presence of online shopping and manages to attract ~16 million visitors a year....not sure online shopping is (or should be) what determines if this gets built, how it gets built and where.

Mall offerings are changing and evolving in the face of online shopping but malls are not disappearing.....and if we accept that malls do, and will, exist then the discussion at Brampton council should not be about whether "we need another mall" but should be about how this mall works within the planning for the northwest of Brampton, specifically, and the city at large.

It should be noted the Osmington proposal isn't at the OMB because of the city, but because Morguard, owners of Bramalea City Centre, trying to block it.

Back