Toronto June Callwood Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | gh3

I'm pretty sure Toronto Parks staff still collect the garbage in parks, as I have called them a few times to arrange for pickups from Canoe Landing. I've also seen their trucks drive through the parks full of garbage bags.

Lol:D

Delinquent dog owners are turning Toronto into turd city
The park is pink and whimsical and currently covered in dozens of piles of dog poop.
It’s a scene repeated across the city and beyond. When the snow melts, even more will be revealed. Your delinquency has turned Toronto into turd city, a pigpen that lives up to our Hogtown nickname. It happens in condo and single-family home neighbourhoods alike. You turdmeisters don’t discriminate. Some of you curiously even bag it but leave it on the ground like a little gift, perhaps for the children June Callwood loved.
http://www.thestar.com/life/2015/02...-turning-toronto-into-turd-city-micallef.html

The City should consider dog walking facilities as a new requirement for condo amenity packages. That would be far easier than suddenly expecting delinquent dog owners to live up to their responsibilities.

I am reminded why I liked living at 45 Carlton St.: dogs were not allowed. That's what I call dealing with the problem at the source.

Block 22 in Cityplace is supposed to have a nice big enclosed dog run area on the rooftop podium with a "pet spa" inside the building adjacent to the area

I am reminded why I liked living at 45 Carlton St.: dogs were not allowed. That's what I call dealing with the problem at the source.

Pretty sure that is not enforceable. You can't ban pets in Ontario. You can ban dogs over a certain weight/size, but not outright tell people they cant have dogs.

Block 22 in Cityplace is supposed to have a nice big enclosed dog run area on the rooftop podium with a "pet spa" inside the building adjacent to the area

One of the buildings in the Fort York Neighbourhood has also installed a doggy dump area outside the building along a sidewalk. Something as simple as that can go a long way in solving the problem.

Pretty sure that is not enforceable. You can't ban pets in Ontario. You can ban dogs over a certain weight/size, but not outright tell people they cant have dogs.

You are thinking of the Residential Tenancies Act. The Condominium Act allows such restrictions if they are included in the condo declaration and properly enforced.

I don't see why we need to ban pets per se (though larger breeds might be a bad fit, given the potential for messes) - what we do need is strict enforcement and fines for not picking up after ones' pets. Let's face it, some people simply shouldn't own pets, period.

AoD

Last edited:
You are thinking of the Residential Tenancies Act. The Condominium Act allows such restrictions if they are included in the condo declaration and properly enforced.

Courts have struck down outright pet bans in the past for various reasons in Ontario, so it's not really helpful to a condo board to ban pets completely.

From one specific case:

"In the Waddington decision, the landlord sought an order for the removal of Waddington's two cats. The condominium's rules provided that, "no pet shall be permitted in the building." The Court found that the corporation was not authorized to make a blanket rule banning all pets because it was not a "reasonable" rule and the rule was therefore not enforceable."

Some, as you mentioned, have also won the right to keep their pets because enforcement was lacking. It puts the onus on the condo board to enforce and make sure the rules are reasonable. That takes quite a bit of work to keep up with.

Last edited:
OK, I'm sure I'm going to get heck on here but I just report what I see and if people don't agree with me, I'm fine with that.

I went to Doors Open at the CNE today and walked back downtown. I was passing by June Collwood Park, so I went to go have a look. I have been to this park 2 times in the last half year, since it's been open and both times the park was deserted. I figured it was chilly, so that's why nobody used the park. Well, I shouldn't say nobody used the park because there was evidence of a number of people using the park and that was doggie do-do. Yep, people are not cleaning up after their dogs and I noticed that was still a problem today.

What I saw today was a park that was completely empty, even though it was a sunday afternoon (3pm) and the temperature was 27c. There was nobody enjoying the sunshine, no kids playing in the park and not a single dog walker in sight. I sat alone in that park for about 10 minutes, filming and looking around. In that time I saw 2 guys walk through the park and one lady came in to put birdseed in a tree, then left but nobody was in that park to enjoy the park. I wonder when that will change?

People in Toronto are always demanding more parks, right where parks already exist. They demand parks they themselves have no intention of using. The park on the waterfront was moderately well used today, with people playing sports and cyclists quickly passing through but yet June Collwood Park sits empty.

My thoughts on June Collwood Park are mixed. I like when we take risks and do something different but this park just doesn't work for me. I don't know what it is but this park just doesn't hold my interest. There is no real focal point and the over-all look does not appeal to me. I don't feel good in this park, maybe that's because it was empty and I like parks that are full of life. (meaning people) Of course, the trees are not fully grown/green but I don't think that would make a difference. This park just lacks charm, beauty or something.

I love the parks in London, Paris and New York but for some reason, Toronto does not build the kind of parks I crave. I see lots of new parks going up but when I go there, I'm almost always disappointed. Toronto likes its rugged wilderness parks and its suburban grass & trees parks but we don't build big, city, urban parks. In a city with hundreds of parks (well, over 1000 in fact) why can't we have a handful of highly urban parks? Is that really too much to ask?

I realize Torontonians prefer cottage country to urbanity but I can't be the only person in Toronto who loves hyper urban spaces.

What's an urban park? I don't know the technical definition, I can only tell you what I think an urban park should be.

I like parks with great paving that use patters and colour to enliven the space. I like using trees, bushes and plants/flowers to define spaces and create beautiful vistas and view corridors. I want parks to have groupings with benches clustered close together, so people can inter-act. Toronto almost never does that. We space our benches out, so people cannot communicate with each other. I love parks that have a focal point, whether that be a fountain, art or planters with a beautiful flower display. I also like wrought-iron, heavy fences that define the park and different parts of it. I like indoor spaces and being able to use a park year round. I love cafes and food stands surrounded by patios where people can eat & drink. I like public spaces that have focal points that are conducive to street performers, events and public gatherings. Last but not least, I like parks that give people things to do. Why not put art galleries, museums or amphitheatres in parks? Community centres and libraries should be put in parks too. Then people will have access to washrooms, drinking fountains, indoor spaces to get warm in winter and other amenities most of our parks do not offer now. I stopped at 3 drinking fountains in parks today and not a single one of them was working. Not one! And speaking of fountains, the Salmon Run fountain beside the aquarium, is still NOT working. Funny, the fountains in the CNE are ALL working very well. (all 4 of them) Good on the CNE!

I see these kinds of parks in other cities when I travel. I don't see these parks in Toronto, probably because fountains, art, decorative paving, heavy wooden/metal benches, decorative lamp posts, wrought-iron fences and indoor spaces cost money and we all know, Toronto doesn't have money to spend on that! So I will continue to love my foreign parks and just have to settle for our wilderness (grass & trees) suburban-style parks, Toronto seems to prefer.

I'm still hoping for that one great hyper-urban park in downtown Toronto but I ain't going to hold my breath. I'll be somewhat content just to see Allen Gardens get its old fountain rebuild (if they follow through with that plan) and Berczy Park get an urban makeover, which includes a more elaborate fountain.

Now back to June Collwood Park. I'm curious what other people think about June Collwood Park, now that the trees have sprung leaves and warm weather has arrived? Am I wrong about this park lacking something or just not feeling right? I'm curious to hear what you all think of this park. After the Canada Square/Ontario Square debate, I'm pretty sure, my idea of a great park and most other people's, is quite different but it never hurts to debate the issue.

Sorry about posting on June Collwood Park here but I searched for a June Collwood Park thread and I could not find one, so since this thread has gone on to parks in general, I posted here. If there is a June Callwood thread, you can move it there if you want, mods.

Last edited:

Back