Toronto June Callwood Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | gh3

Was there any reason for designing this park the way they did originally? I mean, it looks well intentioned from an artistic point of view...but for functionality, reality and maintenance it fell obviously flat.
It's always worth clicking on the database link at the top of the page, seeing if there's anything on it directly about the design intentions, or which articles have be written about it, which you can read via the links at the bottom of that page. There were good intentions here, for what it's worth, but…

Anyway, read this story from way back to understand what the idea was: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/06/groundbreaking-means-june-callwood-park-finally-underway

It's always worth clicking on the database link at the top of the page, seeing if there's anything on it directly about the design intentions, or which articles have be written about it, which you can read via the links at the bottom of that page. There were good intentions here, for what it's worth, but…

Anyway, read this story from way back to understand what the idea was: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/06/groundbreaking-means-june-callwood-park-finally-underway

Okays, that explains why the park's layout looks like a sound file one would find on a DAW. As it's a recording of a quote by Ms. Callwood's actualized. And that's fascinating by all my accounts...

...but as I said, it obviously didn't pan out well in reality. And the linked article sadly confirmed just as much.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that though. And sorry for not looking at the reading material on this before asking. /bows

This “fix” reminds me of what happened to Brutalist buildings in the 80s and 90s. The original design was flawed but bold and coherent. Then some designer put a half-baked portico on the front, and nothing made any sense and it was just embarrassing.

This “fix” reminds me of what happened to Brutalist buildings in the 80s and 90s. The original design was flawed but bold and coherent. Then some designer put a half-baked portico on the front, and nothing made any sense and it was just embarrassing.

To be fair.........the June Callwood design just didn't work, it didn't ever work, it could not have worked.

The 'fix' isn't any good..............

But the original here is not a matter of personal taste as such, I liked the conceptual idea that went to the jury.......it's just that it obviously was not deliverable by the firm who bid; for the price for which they bid.

When you look at what was executed. I really, sincerely believe there was nothing to save.

That's unfortunate, and expensive. A lot of money, time and effort wasted.

A reason for which I wish to keep Gh3 from touching Parks for the foreseeable future.

And why I wish to see juries who may award design contracts to have people familiar with delivering a design among their members.

Regardless......there was just nothing that worked here........what's doubly-offensive though.............there's still nothing that really works here.........more money for not much of a result.

To be fair.........the June Callwood design just didn't work, it didn't ever work, it could not have worked.

The 'fix' isn't any good..............

But the original here is not a matter of personal taste as such, I liked the conceptual idea that went to the jury.......it's just that it obviously was not deliverable by the firm who bid; for the price for which they bid.

When you look at what was executed. I really, sincerely believe there was nothing to save.

That's unfortunate, and expensive. A lot of money, time and effort wasted.

A reason for which I wish to keep Gh3 from touching Parks for the foreseeable future.

And why I wish to see juries who may award design contracts to have people familiar with delivering a design among their members.

Regardless......there was just nothing that worked here........what's doubly-offensive though.............there's still nothing that really works here.........more money for not much of a result.
I was over at the Bentway today so wandered over to look at JC Park. Not only was the refresh a failure, the City seems to have decided the 'flower beds' look better 'au naturel'. Frankly, a mess!

I walked by yesterday afternoon, and the playground equipment area was surprisingly busy with families. Mind you, it was a summer weekend. It doesn't make up for the poor maintenance, but it's nice to see some signs of life.

I walked by yesterday afternoon, and the playground equipment area was surprisingly busy with families. Mind you, it was a summer weekend. It doesn't make up for the poor maintenance, but it's nice to see some signs of life.
Yes, there were several families with kids in playground today but it is a bit of an oasis in the middle of an ill-kept desert.

...with the pink, concrete and all, I guess they wanted to serve extra lettuce with this baloney sandwich.

Back