Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I too remember hearing about an earlier occurrence at Festival Tower.

The Star article mentions it happened in mid-July (Rain of panes not that unique)

That happened the day I went to see a movie there. I believe it was July 7 or July 8th.

It would be a shame if the glass were determined to be at fault, rather than the bearings. That glass looks really sleek.

Omg I can't believe we are doing this.... are the condos really all that cheap..... That's very depressing

It may also further the perception of the new Modernist style of condo architecture as amounting to cheap glass boxes. Ironically, this wasn't supposed to be a condo you could possibly associate with cheapness.

A resident of The Matrix (361 Front St W in CityPlace) was complaining on the CityNews report tonight of no access to her balcony for 4 months due to falling glass. The video showed several balconies without glass.

Video:
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...ss-falls-from-another-downtown-condo#VideoTag

Actually, that has nothing to do with falling glass. The resident doesn't know what is going on in their own building. They are replacing some of the supports because they were not installed properly. (Preventative maintenance) The glass is fine, and no panels have fallen off. They are being re-installed.

Incorrect speculation in a forum post! QUICK! Mods, delete it!!!

(Or is that just done in cases involving Lanterra?) ;)

I think it's a wonderful project. Daniel's did a great job here.

Is Cinema Tower going to have retail on the ground floor? This may turn out to be one great looking block.

As an aside, PCL built the podium (Lightbox), Daniels looked after the tower.

A resident of The Matrix (361 Front St W in CityPlace) was complaining on the CityNews report tonight of no access to her balcony for 4 months due to falling glass. The video showed several balconies without glass.

Video:
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...ss-falls-from-another-downtown-condo#VideoTag

That lady is misinformed. A railing fell off one of the balconies at 361 Front (Matrix/CityPlace). After that happened the condo management company locked off all the balconies as a precaution until an engineering assessment could be done on all the balconies on the building. A similar engineering assessment was done at my building (Apex, next door) just as a precaution... they inspected every single balcony and found there was no issue.

That lady is misinformed. A railing fell off one of the balconies at 361 Front (Matrix/CityPlace). After that happened the condo management company locked off all the balconies as a precaution until an engineering assessment could be done on all the balconies on the building. A similar engineering assessment was done at my building (Apex, next door) just as a precaution... they inspected every single balcony and found there was no issue.

You're just as misinformed. There was an issue, hence why so many units are missing balcony railings. The only misinformation was the fact that it was the glass that was failing.

You're just as misinformed. There was an issue, hence why so many units are missing balcony railings. The only misinformation was the fact that it was the glass that was failing.

Re-read my post. I was saying it was discovered there was no problem in MY building (apex) with any of the balcony railings.

Does anyone know what is happening to the south facing balconies? The upper 5 floors are all green now. Also, the units on those floors all look to be empty.

IMG_2757.jpg

A closer look:
IMG_2758.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be netting that they are installing in front of the balconies? Perhaps they want to protect any possible blow-outs before TIFF begins and get the hoarding removed in front of the Lightbox during the festival. Just speculating...

It's netting.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

What a huge embarrassment. The owners of Bell Lightbox must just be cursing the timing of this whole incident.

Back