Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

Anybody out there wanna cut back on building inspectors, while we're on our cut everything binge? Keep building those condos as cheaply as you can.

We were heading down to see the 3:30 70MM screening of "West Side Story" so I took my camera down & grabbed a few shots. John Street is closed, don't know how residents are getting into their apartments and metal barricades were arriving as we were leaving around 7:00.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wow! That's a lot of glass to replace if they determine it all needs to be replaced!

FestTower1_Aug3-11.jpg

Let's wait to see what conclusions are reached. I can't believe that all of the windows would need to be replaced. Having said that, we are only about five weeks out from the film festival, and it won't be good at all for Toronto's image if hoarding or shelters above the sidewalks are in place around the building.

Let's wait to see what conclusions are reached. I can't believe that all of the windows would need to be replaced. Having said that, we are only about five weeks out from the film festival, and it won't be good at all for Toronto's image if hoarding or shelters above the sidewalks are in place around the building.

It's probably a little better than a hailstorm of glass falling on high profile TIFF guests. Depends who it hits though; maybe we can start a betting pool.

I too remember hearing about an earlier occurrence at Festival Tower.

The Star article mentions it happened in mid-July (Rain of panes not that unique)

Thanks, yes, I saw it on the news after I posted that, it is indeed the second balcony pane to fail. There are also numerous panes at a condo on Blu Jays Way that have blown out along with more Murano coverage tonight. Casa got off lucky here with no media coverage!

So.... we have numerous buildings with glass falling. Is this normal in other cities? Or are the builders and suppliers in Toronto this cheap/incompetent?

Back