News   May 21, 2024
 129     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Toronto City View

I kind of hope the Gardiner stays. I like the way it looks. Tearing it down as a means of eliminating the psychological barrier between downtown and the waterfront is pointless because the rail corridor will still (and always) be there.

It most certainly is...if I'm not mistaken, the elevated section is reaching the end of its service life, and will be due for a full deck replacement within the next few years. That alone may force the issue of tearing it down, even if the scale of development nearby is making it seem quite irrelevant.

Incidentally I just spent a week in Boston, where the final results of the Big Dig are plain to see. I have to say, it sucks. For almost $15Bn, the North End still feels just as cut off as it used to, and the boulevard replacing the Central Artery is really nothing special. If Toronto goes this route, let's hope it's done much better...and cheaper.

Ultimately, it's not a model to follow. The final cost ended up nearly seven times the original estimate. Four workers were killed during its construction, and there were still faulty materials used. One driver was killed because of a concrete panel which fell on her car.

It's troubling that we're running out of time before the full deck replacement becomes necessary. Tunneling is still an option, though a costly one. We can remove this barrier, and one day develop a plan to improve the railway situation.

From Spadina and College

Would look much better in the spring, summer or fall!

PICT1150.jpg

PICT1149.jpg

Incidentally I just spent a week in Boston, where the final results of the Big Dig are plain to see. I have to say, it sucks. For almost $15Bn, the North End still feels just as cut off as it used to, and the boulevard replacing the Central Artery is really nothing special. If Toronto goes this route, let's hope it's done much better...and cheaper.

^ Not to mention 12 years of hell they endured.

nice pics! great location to watch the skyline grow westward!

I'm thinking maybe these 2 need to be joined into a panorama?

Hey, great job!!
I'll be sure to take photos from this location in the spring when the city is a lot more colourful.

cool, next time take another shot further in each direction and we can splice 4 shots into a super wide view...

Unfortunately the windows I photographed this from are only about 2 feet wide, I photographed as far east as I could. I'm pretty sure I can re-angle and capture considerably more of the city further west, so I'll do that next time.

Many thanks again!

here's a neat one posted by Jano over at SSC, found on flickr...

2272691815_644f00997c_o.jpg

Sunrise, May 16th 5:15am

I liked how the sun created an orange glow on some of the buildings this morning. I wish I could post a larger version, it's more dramatic

sunrise-515am_May16-08.jpg

Back