Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 2,211
Sometimes I just don't understand high rise living.

Why would anybody buy an expensive condo in a place like Chaz if they are on the side of the building where all they see are the other apts from another building 10 meters away. Not only would you have no privacy but it would be as dark as hell and you would never see the light of day.

I can see wanting the view, absolutely but when you have no view at all and yet you pay more for your condo every floor you go up it seems like an ridiculous waste of money. I feel bad for the people in the already existing buildings who have had their view completely decimated but why would anybody buy into a new building like that? There are several examples like this throughout the city and I just don't understand the logic.

From that angle it looks like the two buildings are staring into each other, but there's actually a fair bit of separation between the two. And at least in Chaz many of the views are oriented oblique to Casa. And then there a million reasons beyond the view for wanting to live in a big high-rise, adjacent to other high-rises. With that kind of density you generally get better shops and services nearby, without even mentioning that that particular cluster is a stone's throw from the Y/B subways.

From that angle it looks like the two buildings are staring into each other, but there's actually a fair bit of separation between the two. And at least in Chaz many of the views are oriented oblique to Casa. And then there a million reasons beyond the view for wanting to live in a big high-rise, adjacent to other high-rises. With that kind of density you generally get better shops and services nearby, without even mentioning that that particular cluster is a stone's throw from the Y/B subways.

I think his point was that you pay more to live on a higher floor (for the view), and yet you still end up facing the adjacent building.

I think his point was that you pay more to live on a higher floor (for the view), and yet you still end up facing the adjacent building.

What is a city view anyways but collection of buildings anyway? Some will be closer to others, no big deal. I guess the logic is that the further you are from the ground the more of a likelihood there will be gaps between buildings as most of them are not several floors high but all of them are at least 1 floor high. What you really pay for is the location, when you live in the densest and highly trafficked parts of the city, you should understand that you will not have the most private of lives. As for living in darkness, look outside, its 5:38 and its pitch black when there's still a good month left for actual "winter" to begin - We're going to rely on artificial lights either way.

Yes, that was exactly my point.

If someone wants to live there I couldn't possibly care less and if you don't mind the lack of privacy and living in the dark then that's great but why would someone pay more for every floor when they get nothing out of it? The whole point of living further up is to get the great views. After you hit the third floor, security is not at all an issue.

If you are at least across the street from another hi-rise you still get the sun but those are more like living in a tunnel. Personally I would be absolutely LIVID if I was in the already existing building and they built another building right up against mine.

This one has grown on me quite a bit. That carbuncle looks ready for spacecraft adaptive reuse in 2214. It's so weird and unexpected after so many new buildings in the hood love the clean looks on their towers. And the podium turned out very decently, as advertised. It gives me hope for 88 Scott and its carbuncles too (different developer I know, but same architecture firm).

Why would anybody buy an expensive condo in a place like Chaz if they are on the side of the building where all they see are the other apts from another building 10 meters away.

Because that's not the case at all. The building is angled in a way that just about every unit has a view; including units directly across from CASA.

Chaz Balcony.jpg

This might be somewhat out of place here, but as much as I do like the exterior design of this project, I must admit I find the placement of these balconies rather bizarre. I know I’ll probably get totally shot down for this, but the three north units have been positioned in such a way that the balconies are crammed together making them totally unusable (except as outdoor storage, that is). The poor guy in the centre will be having a quite read on his balcony while one neighbour is having a loud beer bash wafting smoke over his head, while on the other side you’ll have a woman discussing her latest orgasm. Very classy indeed. The architect certainly hasn’t considered livability or privacy in this instance. Better in my opinion to have no balconies at all.

Attachments

• Chaz Balcony.jpg
    Chaz Balcony.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 922

Back