Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Northwest facing glazing in mechanical level 75% installed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 1,201
Looking down Charles towards Chaz, yesterday.

P1430968.jpg

Attachments

• P1430968.jpg
    P1430968.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 979
The gaps on either side of this drive me crazy. I wish it was pressed up against another building to begin some semblance of a street wall here.

Yep, I agree. Your point picks up on a discussion you had in another thread somewhere about the relationship between podiums and suburban planning. Interchange42 raised some good points against that view, but I still think it has some merit. The way it impacts streetwall is one example.

I would hate to live in either building, with a 40-storey wall of onlookers 30 feet away like in an office tower. It's as horrible as the Couture/X Condo relationship

The gaps on either side of this drive me crazy. I wish it was pressed up against another building to begin some semblance of a street wall here.

Don't see it being necessary (particularly at these heights) on a quiet residential street like Charles. Let there be setbacks.

I wish there were street walls everywhere, but especially somewhere as downtown and central as this. It’s absurd to waste so much space right next to Yonge Street.

They are too narrow. There is at least a foot of dirt most of the way on the sidewalk on Charles near UofT too.

Yeah, the sidewalks are way too small. I regularly have to jump onto the road to get past groups of people or slower walkers. The recent roadwork and sidewalk reconstruction has definitely made it worse too.

Oh and re. street walls, I appreciate a good one myself but honestly I don't see what's wrong with Charles. The buildings all blend into one another nicely here and besides, the kink in the road at Yonge means that any street canyon would be disrupted. I think this is perfectly fine and Charles feels insanely urban to me.

Back