News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Time for one GTA transit authority?

I have a better idea for one opperator. Just gut all those not called TTC.

More importantly, we need a new regional government, like we had for soem decades after ww2. That was we can regulate land use to prevent sprawl and to concentrade development along corridors - that way even if we built sheppard for 30 km, there would be ridership. Must integrate land use with transit...

$1-billion of LRT gets them through 3 ridings. 1-billion of subway only gets into 1 riding.

They should go after that one riding aggressively instead of diluting the impact of their funding because they struggle just to breakthrough in Toronto. The LRT is divisive among the people who live in the area.

Even if they would do it, would the feds let them? Sheppard is unique among the Transit City projects where it is also funded by the federal government.
Let them??? Flaherty would be in his glory backing Ford to cancel the SELRT, and I bet he would up Ottawa's ante in support of a subway extension. It's the province which would be backed into a corner.

If Ford wins, the SELRT is dead.

Let them??? Flaherty would be in his glory backing Ford to cancel the SELRT, and I bet he would up Ottawa's ante in support of a subway extension. It's the province which would be backed into a corner.

The silver lining to the massive Ford cloud.

Disagree completely. Queen's Park can say whatever it wants, but if the city really wanted to cancel SELRT, they could. The province won't force it on them. No one is so married to the SELRT they'd force it on an unwilling city. Bearing that in mind, if an influential mayor wanted to use that money to build a stop or two on the Sheppard line to get it closer to its original terminus, I'm sure they'd do it.

Somethings are just stupid. Ever heard of the expression "throwing good money after bad"? Well that's what the SELRT is. We'd quite literally be better off without it.

I don't think you read my post correctly....

I never said SELRT couldn't be cancelled. There are are several ways Ford (or any other mayor) could effectively shut it down. I said he shouldn't, then I explained why not.

My main point was that the money from the province is NOT TRANSFERABLE. You can't just decide to build a subway with it instead. With the current economic and political climate, the choice is literally SELRT or NOTHING. If you're going to claim that the LRT would actually be worse than the nothing, you're being obtuse.

I don't think you read my post correctly....

I never said SELRT couldn't be cancelled. There are are several ways Ford (or any other mayor) could effectively shut it down. I said he shouldn't, then I explained why not.

My main point was that the money from the province is NOT TRANSFERABLE. You can't just decide to build a subway with it instead. With the current economic and political climate, the choice is literally SELRT or NOTHING. If you're going to claim that the LRT would actually be worse than the nothing, you're being obtuse.

I'd rather transfer the money to a short subway extension than cancel it. I still completely disagree with you. Ottawa completely changed their plan and it's still being funded.

Yay Buses! Buses are cool, buses are fun, buses are for everyone. Mothball the Sheppard Line and have one stop service from Sheppard and Meadowvale to Yonge on buses. There is no capacity requirement! LRT is no improvement so obviously a subway is complete overkill.

Was this what METROLINX was supposed to represent? An MTA for transport?

Everyone: I read thru this topic and ask: Isn't that what METROLINX is supposed to represent here for the Metropolitan Toronto area? An "umbrella" organization that unites mass transit agencies in the area similar to Chicago's RTA and New York's MTA?
A well-run organization can make a large difference provided it is about making transit better and not politics...in a quasi-Government organization it seems that when politicians get too involved problems result...like the current fiscal crisis that the NYC area's MTA - which is exactly that run under New York State rule has these days...Toronto does NOT need a huge bloated bureaucracy that many feel that the MTA has become running essential transit services like the TTC...I have attended public hearings in recent years about service cutbacks and fare increases-a major one looms ahead for 2011-and I can not get a thought mentioned by some frustrated riders out of my mind: "MTA: MORE TROUBLE AHEAD!!!"

I understand the need for unification in services of mass transit but I feel that Toronto can look at NY's MTA and realize that bigger is not always better especially when it comes to a big government bureaucracy like the MTA has become...and NOT make mistakes that could lead to transit troubles in the future...Some feel that the MTA should be broken up into parts like the NYC Transit Authority-by far the largest MTA agency-to operate as separate entities independently as they once were in the 60s and back but that would fester the ugly "Us versus Them" mentality that is divisive and in the end helps no one...in political divides like the 5 Boroughs/Counties making up the City of New York it places them at odds with the two Long Island counties-Nassau and Suffolk and the Northern counties like Westchester,Putnam and Dutchess...Rockland County is already looking at ways to get out from under the MTA and Orange County may follow suit with the big divisive issue being a regressive payroll tax to fund the MTA and its agencies in the MTA counties I mentioned...I hope that this kind of thing never comes to the Toronto area because I feel that they are better then having to deal with divisiveness where transit is concerned...

Opinions and thoughts from Long Island Mike

Don't need the different transit systems in the same entity, you just need the government to mandate that they all implement the same entry/exit payment system, set a standard subsidy formula for services. The actually operators could each be crown corporations - or private. The payment system would then use the entry/exit to allocate the revenue from usage of the different transit lines based on a set formula. Each line would be free to set their own rates. The payment system should be the same that is used for transit / public parking / road tolls, etc. You can put the card in a reader on the windshield of your car, and if you pass a toll booth - the amount of the toll is deducted. When you leave your car, you can take the card with you for public transit. Different lines could have different operators.

The silver lining to the massive Ford cloud.
Anyone who thinks that Metrolinx will have anything to do with converting the $1.1 billion of Sheppard East RT funding to a short subway extension are fooling themselves.

Metrolinx's mandate is regional transportation, not local. Sheppard East was a stretch as it was, but with 15-km of track and potential of future expansion to Durham it was somewhat justifiable for provincial spending. A short Extension of the Sheppard subway to Victoria Park, or perhaps Warden clearly doesn't fit this mandate, and would require provincial funding from a different source.

Metrolinx has a very long list of programs to finance. I'm sure they'd quite happily divert there share of this money to a GO line somewhere.

Metrolinx has a very long list of programs to finance. I'm sure they'd quite happily divert there share of this money to a GO line somewhere.

Indeed. If Eglinton and Sheppard are killed by the Mayor, I would expect the replacement program to be an electrified Lake Shore East/West with darn fine service to Hamilton and Oshawa.

Back