News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Time for one GTA transit authority?

Part of me doesn't really see a problem with Bombardier operating the TTC. As long as Metrolinx is the one determining route times and locations, I see no problem letting a private company operate the system. It would remove many of the inefficiencies that currently exist in the TTC system. It would probably actually save taxpayers a pretty penny as well.

It should be said that this is generally the only kind of privatization that reasonable officials are talking about. No one reasoable is talking about the "sell off for profit" kind.

I, for one, would love to see this go a step further. Forget a GTA wide transit authority a la TfL or Metrolinx. I would love to see a GTA wide transportation agency that not runs a GTA wide transit service but also manages everything from taxi licensing to road planning. Imagine an agency like this, being given the power to levy property taxes, road tolls, etc. Cut out the middle man. Bring transit up to snuff everywhere. Create zoned fares or time based restrictions. Integrate with GO, so that a Scarborough to Mississauga commute by transit becomes entirely realistic, reasonably timed and reasonably priced.

It's a pipe dream of course. So I guess for now Metrolinx is not half-bad. It's better than nothing.

But I could see how things would have worked out a lot differently if we had such a powerful authority. How different would TC have looked? Would it have even existed? How would local bus service in the 905 have changed? Etc.

Back