News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 460     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Time for one GTA transit authority?

I think the time has come for Metrolinx to take over the TTC, MiWay, Viva, GO Transit, etc. under one umbrella organization across the GTA.

Each organization will still be separate, getting representation from the city they operate under or privately run, but overall control will be from people who are more expert in transit than petty politicians with their latest brainstorming idea. And I don't mean General Motors or their ilk.
Since I'm in a nitpicky mood.... Metrolinx does not need to take over GO Transit, as GO Transit is already a part of Metrolinx. :)

But yeah, it's worth having the conversation. There's a lot of questions to be answered, though:

- funding sources
- service standards
- accountability - is the current appointed Metrolinx board the right way to go for all service.
- local representation for routing decisions
- branding

If Ford gets elected, there is a strong possibility that this will happen, because the provincial government won't want Ford messing with the province's transit plans.

if Ford gets elected I don't envision anything getting done at city hall... he's polarizing.

Using GO as a spine and the other transits as nerve clusters would be interesting and solve quite a few problems that now exist, like fares.

Using "zones" like YRT/VIVA, and the old streetcar network in Toronto, would solve shortcomings in revenue.

The Sheppard East LRT will make sure the biggest pin-headed project in Toronto Transit history - the Sheppard Subway - will never be extended.

Given the success of the Sheppard subway, the Sheppard East LRT will be the biggest pin-headed project in Toronto transit history. Rob Ford can't cancel Transit City, but if he can manage to cancel a part of it, let it be the Sheppard LRT.

I think uploading transit to the province is a great way to remove the politics out of transit planning (or at least help isolate it a little bit). It will ensure that politically motivated transit plans that were drawn up on the back of a politician's napkin never see the light of day. Leave transit planning to the transit planners, not the politicians. The current crop of mayoral candidates are a shining testimonial to why this should be so.

It always amazes me how planners, architects, and engineers approach their work with the same degree of professionalism, and have very similar educational requirements and regulatory bodies dictating who can call themselves 'professional architects/engineers/planners'. Yet planning seems to be the only one of the three that is publicly scrutinized to the degree that it is. Everyone likes to think they're a planner, but far fewer people second guess an architect or an engineer. They may question an architect's artistic vision, they may question an engineers methodology, but they rarely question their professional competence as much as they do a planners'.

I also think this is at the root of the problem with respect to getting viable transit plans. City council members wouldn't dare tell an engineer how to do their job, but when it comes to planning, politicians seem to think that because they can get votes it qualifies them to be a planner.

Having plans that created by the planners, architects, and engineers being overturned by one who just dreams of being one, or who ignores the facts presented, or has an agenda to be followed, are some problems that Toronto has faced in the past. A buffer is needed so that ideas can still be presented from not just politicians, but also from the public, so they can be researched and provided with feedback, given directions on how to proceed, or provided with constructive criticism is needed.

Given the success of the Sheppard subway, the Sheppard East LRT will be the biggest pin-headed project in Toronto transit history. Rob Ford can't cancel Transit City, but if he can manage to cancel a part of it, let it be the Sheppard LRT.

Agree. Anyone arguing against the Sheppard Subway being a success clearly has an axe to grind.

I think uploading transit to the province is a great way to remove the politics out of transit planning (or at least help isolate it a little bit). It will ensure that politically motivated transit plans that were drawn up on the back of a politician's napkin never see the light of day. Leave transit planning to the transit planners, not the politicians. The current crop of mayoral candidates are a shining testimonial to why this should be so.

It always amazes me how planners, architects, and engineers approach their work with the same degree of professionalism, and have very similar educational requirements and regulatory bodies dictating who can call themselves 'professional architects/engineers/planners'. Yet planning seems to be the only one of the three that is publicly scrutinized to the degree that it is. Everyone likes to think they're a planner, but far fewer people second guess an architect or an engineer. They may question an architect's artistic vision, they may question an engineers methodology, but they rarely question their professional competence as much as they do a planners'.

I also think this is at the root of the problem with respect to getting viable transit plans. City council members wouldn't dare tell an engineer how to do their job, but when it comes to planning, politicians seem to think that because they can get votes it qualifies them to be a planner.

You may be interested in the "Planning for the Future" project if you haven't already heard about it
http://www.ontarioplanners.on.ca/content/PlanningFuture/default.aspx

I get so tired of people who apparently can't think beyond the distance they blade to work dumping on the Sheppard Subway. I've listened to this crap for years now as I watch the line get busier and busier as the post-war single family homes on Sheppard get boarded up and fall under the tower cranes that build the 40-story condos that every good flower-sniffing, Birkenstock-addled, Spadina-slayer's grandchild tells us time and time again we're all supposed to shoot for. I'm fed to the teeth with all the whining about how it should have been Queen Street, it should have been Eglinton Avenue. No, it shouldn't have been, because downtown is already served by an east-west line (not to mention the Queen and King streetcars), and because Sheppard was designed first and foremost to get people heading into the core off the 404 and out of their cars before they hit the bottleneck of the 401 as they transit to the DVP. Stripped down to the barest possible essentials, that's exactly what it manages: it travels the distance from that highway to the Yonge Subway line, and no further (to the great chagrin of many). Sheppard Avenue is the last possible place southbound to achieve this. Eglinton is too late; a quarter of an hour (or more) of smoggy creeping down the DVP too late.

I take the Sheppard Subway daily. Heading home, nearly every day, I have to let the first train I come to leave without me if I want a seat so I can read, and I'm travelling at slightly off-peak hours. I've seen the line during peak hours on occasion, with people packed to the doors, and I'm here to tell you folks, it's no white elephant. And it's getting less white with every passing month. The line isn't the only reason there's so much development now on Sheppard from Yonge to Victoria Park, but it's unquestionably a major impetus for it.

In truth, the line should have been built from Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre, but at least we got what we got. I'd be happier if we had plans to expand it rather than build the LRT, which, once it's built, will needlessly compete with traffic, force users to run crossing risks, and expose them to the elements – none of which the subway does – and which will bugger up traffic on Sheppard for years during its construction (not least of which bridging the level crossing in Agincourt, something else the subway wouldn't necessitate). But I'll say this much; barring the fervently-to-be-wished-for extension of the subway, at least the LRT is something, and to that extent at least I welcome it. It's better than nothing. Way better.

So enough of the bilge about the Sheppard Subway already. It gets at least some people off the expressways every day, it provides a node for condo development that combats urban sprawl, and it's a long-overdue nod to the fact that most people in the city, not to mention the GTA, don't live in the navel-gazing confines between Bloor and the lake, and Dufferin and the Beaches.

Yeah, that's basically the way I see it too. SELRT is far from perfect, but it's much better than what we currently have. This line would be at leasat a moderate improvement. Cancelling it would be an absolute loss...of years of planning, provincial moeny, work already done, etc...with no guarantee of any improvemnt in the next 10 years.

Furthermore, Queen's Park has made it clear that TC funds will not be transferable to other projects, and with Ford and Smitherman preaching 'fiscal restraint', and a provincial election on the horizon...this is not the time to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Agreed. And the suggestion by some candidates that we cancel Eglinton is a sin. Even if LRT isn't the long-term magical answer for Scarborough east of Don Mills Road ... it gives subway-frequency service at subway-like speeds in a subway-like tunnel from near Jane to Don Mills. That's the biggest advance in rapid transit in Toronto since the the Spadina subway.

I doubt we would have had such an advance if we didn't have a regional agnecy such as Metrolinx starting to enter the game.

Yeah, that's basically the way I see it too. SELRT is far from perfect, but it's much better than what we currently have. This line would be at leasat a moderate improvement. Cancelling it would be an absolute loss...of years of planning, provincial moeny, work already done, etc...with no guarantee of any improvemnt in the next 10 years.

Furthermore, Queen's Park has made it clear that TC funds will not be transferable to other projects, and with Ford and Smitherman preaching 'fiscal restraint', and a provincial election on the horizon...this is not the time to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Disagree completely. Queen's Park can say whatever it wants, but if the city really wanted to cancel SELRT, they could. The province won't force it on them. No one is so married to the SELRT they'd force it on an unwilling city. Bearing that in mind, if an influential mayor wanted to use that money to build a stop or two on the Sheppard line to get it closer to its original terminus, I'm sure they'd do it.

Somethings are just stupid. Ever heard of the expression "throwing good money after bad"? Well that's what the SELRT is. We'd quite literally be better off without it.

Bearing that in mind, if an influential mayor wanted to use that money to build a stop or two on the Sheppard line to get it closer to its original terminus, I'm sure they'd do it.
Even if they would do it, would the feds let them? Sheppard is unique among the Transit City projects where it is also funded by the federal government.

Even if they would do it, would the feds let them? Sheppard is unique among the Transit City projects where it is also funded by the federal government.

Would the federal government care if it's a subway or LRT for the same amount of money? Well let's see: what would get them more votes?

Back