News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Target

We were in the Niagara Falls store on Sunday and it was dead.

We looked at various items and found it was cheaper to buy them at home.

The food section was not so great in price saving and would below Top's who I rank as #3.

Stop off at Walmart and prices were almost the same at home with some better prices. The food price was better than Target and at home on a few things.

I feel Target here in Canada will be more upscale and over price, but time will tell.

I feel Target here in Canada will be more upscale and over price, but time will tell.

But does it have to be cheap to be sucessful?

I think folks have gotten so tired of Zellers that almost anything will be a welcome change.

I myself don't mind paying a buck or two more for a better shopping experience. Much like grocery shopping. While I do shop at NoFrills and Food Basics, I do also shop at Superstore and Metro - and I don't mind paying a little more for a brighter, bigger store with more selection. I think the same thing goes here for Walmart vs Target.

Target is going to rock in Canada.

As much as they compete with Walmart, they don't. They are very happy in their niche and like the airplane-dude said sometimes its not all about price. Target has made it cool to discount shop and while people (of all income brackets) shop for Tide and Pampers and Clorox bleach they also pick up Mossimo shorts, a cool lamp and neat kitchen gadgets then brag to their friends about where they bought it and how much it was. You never see anyone proclaiming how cool something they got at Walmart.

Target is going to rock in Canada.

As much as they compete with Walmart, they don't. They are very happy in their niche and like the airplane-dude said sometimes its not all about price. Target has made it cool to discount shop and while people (of all income brackets) shop for Tide and Pampers and Clorox bleach they also pick up Mossimo shorts, a cool lamp and neat kitchen gadgets then brag to their friends about where they bought it and how much it was. You never see anyone proclaiming how cool something they got at Walmart.

They will do well against Walmart - but from a retail insider I know Target has hired a lot of the "problem children" from other outfits. It seems the entire industry seems to trade their dysfunctional employees like hockey cards...

Sq One Mall store layout board is new to the point it already has Target location on it when Zellers is still open.

Confirmed GTA locations and openings
Source: http://www.thestar.com/business/art...-stores-opening-in-2013-is-there-one-near-you

TORONTO
Centrepoint Mall - March/April 2013
Cloverdale Mall - March/April 2013
East York Town Centre - March/April 2013
Shoppers World Danforth - March/April 2013

PEEL
Bramalea City Centre - Summer 2013
Shoppers World Brampton - March/April 2013
Square One - March/April 2013
Trinity Common - March/April 2013
Westdale Mall - Winter 2013

YORK
Aurora Shopping Centre - March/April 2013
Hillcrest Mall - Winter 2013
Upper Canada Mall - March/April 2013

DURHAM
Ajax - Durham Centre - March/April 2013
Clarington Town Centre - Winter 2013
Oshawa Five Points - Summer 2013
Pickering Town Centre - Winter 2013
Taunton Road Power Centre - March/April 2013

HALTON
Burlington Mall - March/April 2013
Hopedale Mall - Summer 2013
Millcroft Centre - March/April 2013
Milton Mall - March/April 2013

Interesting points:
Of the above GTA locations, 14 will be open by April, 3 follow by the summer, all 21 are open by the end of next year.

These are all the Zellers leaseholds, no original locations have been announced (which I will be interested in learning about). This is a slow, deliberate rollout.

All April openings are in South Central and South West Ontario (served by the new Milton warehouse); the first Alberta/BC/Manitoba stores follow in May or June. Ottawa, Quebec and Nova Scotia waits until the Summer.

Interesting that in this announcement, two Wal-Marts, in Niagara Falls and Laval QC, will become Targets.

Last edited:
Here is the map of the Target locations in Toronto, Peel, York, and Durham:
2km00k.png

Red: East York Town Centre
Magenta: Shoppers World Danforth
Cyan: Pickering Town Centre
Blue: Centerpoint [sic] Mall
Green: Hillcrest Mall
Yellow: Bramalea City Centre
Dark Red: Trinity Common
Purple: Cloverdale Mall
Dark Cyan: Square One Shopping Centre
Dark Blue: Shoppers World Brampton
Dark Green: Westdale Mall

I used Google Maps and GIMP (with the Voronoi Path plugin) to make the map.

Update: the map is not correct: See the newer post for the correct map.

Last edited:
OMG Thiessen Polygons!

Strangely enough, there is no mention of the Stockyards @ St. Clair W new build.

AoD

Last edited:
OMG Thiessen Polygons!

Strangely enough, there is no mention of the Stockyards @ St. Clair W new build.

AoD
Yes, they are Thiessen polygons. I have a very strong background in GIS work (including some unconventional GIS, such as using both Google Maps and GIMP to do GIS analysis, as shown with the map I made).

I used Thiessen polygons to help illustrate Target locations in 2013, because I like to plot locations on a map and use Thiessen polygons to help determine the nearest location.

It is quite strange that Target mentions nothing about the one in the Stockyards. I can safely assume that the one in the Stockyards would very likely open in 2014, especially given that soil contamination has to be cleared before constructing it.

I will post the map with the Stockyards location later.

Update: Here is the map with the Stockyards (orange with grey dot):

2rnap3a.png

Note how the polygon representing the Stockyard overlaps the Target locations that open sooner.

Based on the map, Target should open a location in Scarborough (preferably taking over the Zellers location at the one on Eglinton between Warden and Birchmount or becoming a new anchor store in Scarborough Town Centre).

Update: the map is not correct: See the newer post for the correct map.

Last edited:
I imagine more stores to follow, but from a confirmed list of store openings, where is Golden Mile Warden/Eglinton anyway? That's a new Zellers store that would be a no-brainer for Target (compared to a Zellers dud like Westdale Mall).

What's the timeline for the RioCan Stockyards development to open? Maybe that's not yet in stone, hence not in the confirmed list of openings/conversions.

Back