Target

Discussion in 'Retail' started by samsonyuen, Aug 8, 2007.

1. samsonyuen

samsonyuen Active Member

From: http://www.macleans.ca/business/economy/article.jsp?content=20070806_108088_108088

2. Tewder

Tewder Senior Member

It irks me that our Loonie is pretty much on par with the US dollar, yet pricing here still remains so much higher. Ever look at book-jacket pricing? What's the deal?? Okay, our tax system is crippling for alcohol and restaurants etc, but what about retail?

Also, I think US retailers are finally starting to wake up to the fact that although Canada has a relatively small population as a whole, we are essentially an urban country with three major urban areas (with a fourth one growing) that rival most average US urban areas in size and density. Target has been talking about crossing the border for years now, but it has some licensing issues to resolve first.

3. AndreaPalladio

AndreaPalladio Senior Member

Also, there are only three areas which are widely spread out, which adds to costs. Not to mention the different tax and accounting regimes, and having to relable everything.

4. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

I'm not sure that Target has been talking about it so much as Canadians have been speculating about it. And licensing issues or not, the Macleans article claims that Target has announced that it wants to focus on some pretty ambitious growth targets in the U.S. before expanding to foreign markets.

I agree, though, about being irked by the pricing. We're just too accustomed to paying the higher price. Just bought a coffee maker at Williams Sonoma (only Canadian distributor) that was significantly cheaper in the U.S. Bought it in Toronto, though, because I just don't think making a special trip to Buffalo is worth it to save the price differential. Now, if I had more free time.....

5. No kidding!
    Was checking Canon SD800IS. Amazon.com, $300US NO TAX. Here, Futureshop/Bestbuy etc is selling around $450 plus tax!

Heroes DVD, Amazon.com is at $30US, Amazon.ca is at $50, WTF!!!

I want to contribute my spending in Canada...but can't cause US is much cheaper!

6. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

This isn't a thread about Target. It's about Canadian retail prices vis-a-vis U.S. ones.

7. RJR123

RJR123 Active Member

If you're looking for a purely linear posting style at all times, you're in the wrong forum.

8. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

Uh, not quite sure what you're talking about. This isn't really a case of "linear" posting style vs. "non-linear" posting style. I'm just pointing out that the thread isn't really about Target -- it's about U.S. retailers and U.S. prices. Target was mentioned as an example. So were others.

9. RJR123

RJR123 Active Member

It started out as a thread specifically about Target but quickly veered off into another direction as happens, but then someone will inevitably bring it back to the original topic, as your posting did.

10. scarberiankhatru

scarberiankhatru Senior Member

It started out as the main retail thread and fragments got spliced up into a "Target" thread.

11. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

The first post isn't about Target -- it's about a whole bunch of American retailers. And I didn't bring it back to its "original topic". I just pointed out that the whole thing is mislabeled.

12. Prometheus The Supremo

Prometheus The Supremo ►Member №41+⅜◄

i like turtles

13. RJR123

RJR123 Active Member

Target sells lovely plastic ones.

14. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

That made me laugh.

15. RJR123

RJR123 Active Member

In all seriousness, I would love for Target to set up shop in Toronto. Having visited one of their US locations it's pretty easy to see why they are so successful.