News   Apr 26, 2024
 512     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 578     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

a trade off for subway stations that were never really needed in the first place?

I think the Ellesmere stop can be removed, but speaking from strictly riding the SRT from time to time, the Lawrence stop does have quite a few passengers that get on and off.

I think the Ellesmere stop can be removed, but speaking from strictly riding the SRT from time to time, the Lawrence stop does have quite a few passengers that get on and off.
I thought I read that for first phase it would stop at Bloor. Did this not come out on same day as studies showed it was tro expensive for ST to turn onto Eglinton to go west to Pearson?

I thought I read that for first phase it would stop at Bloor. Did this not come out on same day as studies showed it was tro expensive for ST to turn onto Eglinton to go west to Pearson?
Ellesmere and Lawrence are in the east, not west. Though I thought it was Phase 1 to Mount Dennis and Kennedy - not Bloor-Dundas West - but that was just media who were saying this - I don't think anything official has shown any limits to Kennedy.

Ellesmere and Lawrence are in the east, not west. Though I thought it was Phase 1 to Mount Dennis and Kennedy - not Bloor-Dundas West - but that was just media who were saying this - I don't think anything official has shown any limits to Kennedy.

I do recall the "abbreviated" SmartTrack plan showing Kennedy as the eastern terminus. It got lost in the Scarborough Compromise hoopla a few days later.

I do recall the "abbreviated" SmartTrack plan showing Kennedy as the eastern terminus. It got lost in the Scarborough Compromise hoopla a few days later.
In anything other than a line on a map drawn by a media outlet - though that's nothing to do with Bloor.

Has any thought been made in building a new Main Street Station and tunnels on 2 Bloor-Danforth? One closer to the Danforth GO Station, and on the south side of Danforth Avenue? Other cities have abandoned stations and built new stations at new locations (along with the tunnels). Why not Toronto?

Maybe then there will be a better and proper transfer between GO and the Subway and SmartTrack at Main & Danforth.
It would be cheaper to give every transfer rider an elephant ride between the existing stations. For ever.

Yeah it was a news article by Globe and Mail I believe where they were looking at the possibility of SmartTrack Phase 1 going from Kennedy st to Mt Dennis. However, that doesn't really seem to be the case based on the recent Metrolinx presentation. It looks like they are studying the merger of SmartTrack and GO RER period, not having a separate service.

Yeah it was a news article by Globe and Mail I believe where they were looking at the possibility of SmartTrack Phase 1 going from Kennedy st to Mt Dennis. However, that doesn't really seem to be the case based on the recent Metrolinx presentation. It looks like they are studying the merger of SmartTrack and GO RER period, not having a separate service.

The scenario in Moore's article is more or less the same as Option D in the recent RER report.

The scenario in Moore's article is more or less the same as Option D in the recent RER report.
Option D? Option D is the current GO plan, adding stations at St. Clair, Liberty, Unilevar, and Gerrard/Carlaw.

I thought that Moore's article (that I haven't looked at since) stopped at Kennedy, and showed a Phase 2 with stations between Kennedy and Agincourt. But perhaps I'm forgetting:
upload_2016-2-10_15-56-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-10_15-56-24.png
    upload_2016-2-10_15-56-24.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 385
Option D? Option D is the current GO plan, adding stations at St. Clair, Liberty, Unilevar, and Gerrard/Carlaw.

I thought that Moore's article (that I haven't looked at since) stopped at Kennedy, and showed a Phase 2 with stations between Kennedy and Agincourt. But perhaps I'm forgetting:

The "SmartTrack" scheme Moore revealed in his article last month was also the current GO plan. That's something I ranted about extensively last month, since it was evident at that point that SmartTrack had completely disintegrated into RER. :)

To paraphrase, the ST plan in last month's article spanned from Mt Dennis to Kennedy, with 3 or 4 new stations and frequencies between 5 and 10 minutes. This is exactly the same as outlined in Option D in the slide you attached.

@nfitz you mentioned that the SmartTrack scheme described by Moore stopped at Kennedy. This can still considered to be true with Option D, since there is no new infrastructure north of Kennedy with this option. Both Moore's description and Option D use RER trains, so there's no specific SmartTrack terminus, since it's all the same RER.

There were so many plans and transit articles in such a short time, it's hard to keep track. The next few weeks will be killer as well. But was there in fact a genuine proposal for a phased ST? IIRC even in the best scenario (5mins w/ TTC fare), north of Sheppard E it was under 1000k. So perhaps it's planned to go to Unionville in a later Phase II.

In Fact a hybrid plan may arise from these plans and will be known for the June meeting. Both the City and Metrolinx are working on the same schedule for their parts.

One thing Metrolinx needs to rethink is having more on line stations as walk-in with different type of service from RER. You can run a number of different service using 3-5 emu trains to service Toronto.

I had another look of the conversion of the SRT to SmartTrack to the point I would build the original LRT plan to Malvern as a SmartTrack with provision to connect to CP Line as well going some where else in the future. This allows for a single seat ride from STC or other stations along the route to Union that neither the LRT could not do, but most of all, the white elephant subway. It most likely the existing elevated section may have to be rebuilt to support a 3 car emu train. The rest would be either rebuilt or expanded anyway and upgrade it to support DD emu cars.

While 15 minute off-peak service is acceptable to some U.S. rapid transit (whether they be heavy or light rail) services, and maybe to some in the 905, here in the 416, 15 minutes is a l-o-n-g time to wait. I've been to Atlanta and New York City, and waiting their normal 10 minute mid-day service seemed too long for a Toronto resident like me. Guess I'm pampered with our subway's 5 minute headways.

While 15 minute off-peak service is acceptable to some U.S. rapid transit (whether they be heavy or light rail) services, and maybe to some in the 905, here in the 416, 15 minutes is a l-o-n-g time to wait. I've been to Atlanta and New York City, and waiting their normal 10 minute mid-day service seemed too long for a Toronto resident like me. Guess I'm pampered with our subway's 5 minute headways.

The time perception isn't the only issue. The longer wait times makes SmartTrack/RER less time competitive with other options.

Back