741     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 249     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 735     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

For Unionville,
A gives no new stops but more frequency than vanilla RER
B gives new stops with mixed stopping/express format, at the price of frequency - only every 10 mins
C gives new stops with all trains stopping, more frequent than RER but at price of longer trip times
D gives no new stops and vanilla RER frequency

B and C seem to reflect ML's findings re the operational limit to stopping and non-stopping trains on the same 2-track line.

- Paul

Trying to decypher the four options......

A - More frequent trains, but retaining the RER model with only a few added stops - City picks up the cost of added trains
B - The "Full Monty" option of RER limited-stopping trains and ST frequent-stopping trains - likely the highest cost
C - Vanilla RER plan, modified to add all the stops that the City wants - at the cost of longer trip time
D- Vanilla RER plan

I wonder what the "trades" will be..... Province provides relief for the LRT extension in exchange for City agreeing to a more vanilla version of RER?

- Paul

IMO Option C makes the most sense, especially if they are going with the cheap Scarborough Subway route. Finch and Lawrence are fairly busy routes in Scarborough.

Which seems to preclude a station on Lawrence, which was the basis of being able to remove the more expensive subway station there.

The fares are yet to be determined, but so far the plan that is emerging is not what John Tory was hoping for.

New Stations:
St. Clair West
King
Unilever
Gerrard (presumably connecting to the RL)
No new Scarborough Stations.

This is exactly as described in the previous article by Moore: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...onto-getting-smaller-cheaper/article28208774/

The Mx presentation says St. Clair, Liberty Village, Unilever, Gerrard-Carlaw. While I agree the Gerrard-Carlaw stop is presumably connecting to the Relief Line, I would also presume that the Liberty Village stop is at Queen and Dufferin, and will connect to a future relief line west extension.

Also, check out these Crosstown West options:

GAC0uXc.png

Personally, I'm for Option 2 with some further grade optimization at Jane and other necessary points in the 427 to Renforth area. Keeps cost down and speed up.

The Mx presentation says St. Clair, Liberty Village, Unilever, Gerrard-Carlaw. While I agree the Gerrard-Carlaw stop is presumably connecting to the Relief Line, I would also presume that the Liberty Village stop is at Queen and Dufferin, and will connect to a future relief line west extension.

The mention of the Relief Line in this report is very encouraging - good to see ML keeping it in view on the table. (Yeah, I could post this in the DRL thread, where it might be more on topic, but fragments discussion of this report).

- Paul

Hmm, that's probably the most cost effective, realistic plan: Run the DRL underground to an ST station at Queen and Dufferin. Keep the streetcar west of Dufferin so we retain that early Toronto feel with the Queen car through Parkdale. Really, it's a short jaunt from Dufferin to Roncy. Queen and Dufferin becomes the West Queen West hub. I'd even stick with streetcars for the underground stretch, which means we take advantage of the roughed in stations under Osgoode and Queen stations. This gives us the best of ST and a Queen relief line: a true DRL loop.

Time for a major shakeup at Metrolinx and revisit what their goals are/should be, as they sure keep shooting themselves in the foot with out date thinking and lack of visionary. Even Queen Park needs to rethink what is best for everyone, not a few under the Big Move and its mandate. Missing planks of Metrolinx started during the Bill in 2006 as well having no teeth in it to override cases of Brampton and Toronto rejections.

Anyone who has used London and Paris system as well other places know they have a far better fare integration than what is in the pipeline along with this white elephant.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-upx-pricing-may-get-another-look-keenan.html

As for Crosstown Option, prefer to see some grade separation depending what is still there as well to make sure the stations are where they should be before saying 2 is better over one. Can't recall where the original EA had stops in between major street.

Even with an ST station at Queen and Dufferin, I'd still retain a Liberty Village station to the south. I also feel very strongly about having a station in the Distillery District, especially if we ever want to run an LRT through the Port Lands. The ROW is already there. By linking ST with the DRL at both Queen and Dufferin in the west and Carlaw/Gerard in the east, pressure will come off the Yonge-U line and its transfers at B-D. An ST station on Spadina at Front and a DRL station on Spadina at Queen would make better use of the Spadina LRT and give even more relief to Y-U.

Really like Option 2 for Eglinton Crosstown West. Might make it feasible for people travelling from Mississauga to take it rather than the subway.

Time for a major shakeup at Metrolinx and revisit what their goals are/should be, as they sure keep shooting themselves in the foot with out date thinking and lack of visionary. Even Queen Park needs to rethink what is best for everyone, not a few under the Big Move and its mandate. Missing planks of Metrolinx started during the Bill in 2006 as well having no teeth in it to override cases of Brampton and Toronto rejections.

Anyone who has used London and Paris system as well other places know they have a far better fare integration than what is in the pipeline along with this white elephant.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-upx-pricing-may-get-another-look-keenan.html

As for Crosstown Option, prefer to see some grade separation depending what is still there as well to make sure the stations are where they should be before saying 2 is better over one. Can't recall where the original EA had stops in between major street.

The creation of Metrolinx definitely seems to have brought about more action on transit, but I agree it has too little teeth. Ultimately I'd like to see Metrolinx evolve into a regional transit agency like Translink in Vancouver.

Preliminary ridership for this option, with GO fare, was 12,000 per day, as per Moore's Jan article. TTC fare would boost this to 24,000 to 36,000.
Given the moves that are being made on "fare integration", it's time the pols were honest with Torontonians that if things keep going as they have been, TTC fare is gonna be GO fare...

Back