News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 985     1 

Sightings ...

Re: the Prius:
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece
From The Sunday TimesMarch 16, 2008

Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d
The Toyota hybrid is hailed as an eco-paragon, so how does it fare against a big BMW? To find out our correspondents go on a run to Geneva....

An unused old car rotting in a driveway, a car-wreckers field, etc: environmentally friendly? The Prius is all about conspicuous consumption; an old but carefully maintained car is friendlier....:)

They were driving 75 mph on an expressway into a headwind, and yet the article somehow claims that the test is fair for a car that thrives in an urban, stop-and-go environment. The whole point of the battery is to help with frequent acceleration, switch off the engine when stopped, and drive at low speeds. How much of that do you do on a highway? It was also up against a diesel car which, regardless of much-improved technology, puts out way more pollution per gallon. If they actually wanted to test the car for what it was designed to do, they would have driven a circuit of London streets. I guarantee the Prius would have clobbered any BMW.

There are much better places to look for journalism on environmental issues than a Murdoch paper.

What if...I don't care? I would chose a car based on looks, quality, and funkiness. The Prius looked okay in 2004, but now is dated and the replacement is due. It is an environmental statement car for middle class (or richer) yuppies. It still sells at a fairly significant premium over a conventional car and many Canadians simply can't afford the luxury. So typical of all innovations, the rich benefit the most....

Besides, compared to Atom Egoyan, I am far more environmentally friendly: I don't drive a car period!

Hey!

No more environmental nuthin' on this thread!

This thread is for frickin' celebrity sightings! And please, no local city councillors. They should at least be mayors, and preferably of municipalities of substantial size, if we have to consider politicians at all.

Bonus points for out-of-towners.

Lots of politician sightings in the gaybourhood...

I saw Bob Rae get on the subway at Wellesley last Saturday.
Bill Graham was at Byzantium two weekends past.
John Baird was at "Straight Bar", probably three Thursdays ago, but maybe four now.

I saw......an out of towner...

Harry Stinson himself!!

Just as I walked past Starbucks at Adelaide and Yonge, he sauntered past me and into Starbucks, pretty much stood on my toes actually.

This Harry...

harry01.jpg

Michael Ondaatje in JAM restaurant on Carlton (couple blocks west of Parliament) last night.

Gordon Pinsent frequently in same area, notable at Daniel et Daniel.

adma, UT forum royalty, striding purposefully out of the TD banking hall and heading east along King - just before noon today.

Back